JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Help!Roku for JW broadcasting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3321 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hi brothers&sister,

Any one who is using Roku in his&her tablet?

In order to download JW TV videos, I downloaded Roku Channel, and find some difficulties in the setup access:

I installed Roku in my tablet, and i was asked to enter the "link code from my TV",
and was asked to "enter a channel access code" when I was trying to add JW TV channel to my Roku account.

Could you please explain how I can get the code they are asking for?

Appreciate very much for your help(here very few people use it, and don't know to whom I can ask for help here).

You can quote here, or write to me directly VIA the PM system

I know you are looking for help and the site seems secure (and for the most part it is), but we do not allow personal contact info posted directly in threads. You can give that our if the person PMs you - that is WAY more secure. And as this is not a Comfort or Support Topic - I need to move to a members only forum - Our Meetings, Ministry, and Life as a Christian  (JET)

post-4216-0-91039900-1420706524_thumb.pn

post-4216-0-55432500-1420706528_thumb.pn

Edited by trottigy

Roku is a "streaming device" that plugs into the TV. The app allows you to access the device, not receive Roku programing. You need the device plugged into your TV. During the setup of the device it will give you the code you enter.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Those of you that have Roku do you like it?    Is it user friendly for us techy dummies?      We just bought Roku Streaming stick, so we could watch it on our tv.   I don't really care about accessing it thru my iphone.       Haven't even had it out of the box long enough yet to hook it up.   

I have the Roku Streaming Stick. Even though I do have the app on my tablet, I just use the remote control that came with the Roku. Works very simple.

One of the things I did was to go to the "Channel Store" and delete the unneeded channels that were programmed already.

You will also need to go the the "Channel Store" and then scroll to "Religion & Spirituality" - that is where you will find the JW.ORG Broadcasting app.

You set up roku similar to setting up an apple ID. You will need a major credit card. Just follow instructions!

Credit card! :eek: so there is a monthly fee to use it?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Got it.

The smart TV wanted the same thing. I just clikked "skip" when it asked that. I like how simple it is.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The Roku does not REQUIRE a credit card. You can skip that if you like, it just means you cannot use any of the pay-as-you-go channels or services.

My Father-in-law did not use his credit card and his is working just fine.

You set up roku similar to setting up an apple ID. You will need a major credit card. Just follow instructions!

I did set up and put credit card also. But main problem is which I showed in the two photos before. I was asked to input some code, and I don't know what's the code or how to get the code. I asked one American friend for help, she does not understand well the instructions either. But anyway, thank you for willing to help.

I was asked to input some code, and I don't know what's the code or how to get the code.

The code is displayed by the Roku device itself on your television.

Just to clarify, have you purchased a Roku? There are several models, but it should look something like one of these two pictures.

X6i51xfl.jpg

PNXlnmTl.jpg

After you connect the Roku device to your TV, it will step you through a "setup" that is interactive. During this setup there is a point where it will instruct you to access your Roku account on an Internet connected device and enter the Code that is displayed on your TV screen - this is where you get the code that it is requesting. This is needed for the device to work and is especially needed if you have more than one Roku device connected to the same computer network.

After you connect the Roku device to your TV, it will step you through a "setup" that is interactive. During this setup there is a point where it will instruct you to access your Roku account on an Internet connected device and enter the Code that is displayed on your TV screen - this is where you get the code that it is requesting. This is needed for the device to work and is especially needed if you have more than one Roku device connected to the same computer network.

Thank you brother John, can I understand that, It is a must to connect the tablet(mine is Ipad mini2) into TV to continue the setup process? I can't use Roku software alone without plugging into TV?

The tablet does NOT have to be connected to the TV - it just has to be able to access the Internet. It is used to finish the Roku Device setup. You MUST have a Roku Device connected to your TV and a wireless network connected to the Internet for the Roku Device to access.

The Roku app is not a receiver, it is just a "remote control" for accessing the Roku device.

You MUST have a Roku device (Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku LT, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku TV, and Roku Streaming Stick only)  in order to access Roku "channels"

This is from the Itunes Store about the Roku app (the same holds true for the Roku app for Android)

Description

The free Roku iOS application allows you to:

· Control your Roku player or Roku TV from your mobile device
· Find something to watch by searching for movies, shows, actors, or directors and easily launch the content on your Roku player or TV. Search is available today with the Roku Streaming Stick (HDMI version), Roku TVs, and will be available on additional Roku players at a later date.
· Browse, add, and rate Channels from more than 1,200 Roku Channels offered in the Roku Channel Store
· Quickly launch your favorite Roku Channels
· Enter text using your device's keyboard
· Name and switch between multiple Roku players and TVs
· Enjoy your iPhone’s photos, music, and video on your Roku player or TV (Supported on Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku LT, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku TV, and Roku Streaming Stick only)

THIS APP REQUIRES A ROKU PLAYER
To use this app, you must connect your iOS device to the same network as your Roku player or TV. Certain features require compatible Roku players/Roku TVs or may require logging in to your Roku account.

HAVING TROUBLE FINDING YOUR ROKU PLAYER OR ROKU TV?
Note: If the app does not recognize your Roku player or TV (you see a “No Roku Devices Found” message after you sign in), try going to network setup again on your Roku player. This will wake your Roku player on your home network. Then, select “Try Again” in the Roku app.

Go to support.roku.com for FAQs or to get help.

Edited by Qapla

Okay I've used my Roku and have now watched all four of the monthly videos,  and have started to browse and watch other shows on the broadcasting.  Thank you to whom ever said that I can go to the channel store and delete the unwanted channels.   I think that is what I'll do next.

thank you I love it. 

We now have Roku and love it. Our family can now watch jw broadcast on tv as a family without having to individually access the tablet screen. (We had previously tried chromecast which didn't work for us at all. Thankfully we could return it to Costco.)  We also found we can watch PBS programs which we couldn't get with our antenna, so double bonus.

• 1 month later...

I love our Roku. I also watch PBS on it and a few others. and of course Netflix, so glad the JWBroadcasting is now on it. 

As far as I know closed captioning has to be done by the people producing the show, and as far as I can tell, at this point there is not closed captioning available. If some one knows any different, please let us know, I too would like to access closed captioning.