JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3356 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

How much would you figure on spending at a minimum to take tours of all our facilities?

When I went in 2004, I stated at the Harvest Inn Motel which is own by brothers/sisters and is just down the street from Watchtower Farms in Walkill. From there I would drive to either Patterson or Brooklyn for the day and return to stay in my room at night. So, I had just the nightly hotel rates, plus gas and food.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

How much would you figure on spending at a minimum to take tours of all our facilities?

When I went in 2004, I stated at the Harvest Inn Motel which is own by brothers/sisters and is just down the street from Watchtower Farms in Walkill. From there I would drive to either Patterson or Brooklyn for the day and return to stay in my room at night. So, I had just the nightly hotel rates, plus gas and food.

I have heard that parking in New York City is very expensive, did you find that to be the case? If a person wanted to visit Brooklyn, Patterson, Walkill and the new facility after it is finished, it sounds like what you described above would be the best option even with a rental car. The cost of parking in Brooklyn is a concern but I really hate the thought of the subway.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I have heard that parking in New York City is very expensive, did you find that to be the case? If a person wanted to visit Brooklyn, Patterson, Walkill and the new facility after it is finished, it sounds like what you described above would be the best option even with a rental car. The cost of parking in Brooklyn is a concern but I really hate the thought of the subway.

you park in the lot and get your ticket stamped at the front desk. I think its a reduced rate of $5. Have not been there for a while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brooklyn Bethel validates parking for at least one parking structure on Henry, about 4 blocks from 25 Columbia.  We parked there 2 days when we toured Bethel and Time Square.  Took the subway.  We also parked at other parking structures.  Driving in NYC wasn't as bad as I imagined.  

My husband and I took the Greyhound from Alabama to New York about 7 years ago. The Greyhound is torture, so I don't recommend it. But once in NY we just walked everywhere and took the subway. It was pretty exhausting and although we enjoyed it, I don't recommend that for most people, either. But driving and parking there is also difficult. The best thing is a tour where they take you everywhere.

I don't remember the exact prices anymore, but the bus was probably around $350. Instead of a hotel we stayed in an apt. that brothers rent out by the day. That was about $85 a night. As I've mentioned before, we rented a car for two days to see Patterson and Walkill. The car was probably about $150 for the two days. We stayed at Patterson for two nights and made a donation there. We mostly ate cheap pizza in Brooklyn. All together it was probably about $1000 for the two of us.

The subway is really the most efficient way to get around for about $2.50 each way. However, if you wish to drive, you can pay for parking using the lots validated by the Branch or be daring, read the local signs and look for parking on the local streets. That is the free option. The caution being it can be time consuming and require doing a lot of driving around.

As far as tolls, it really depends on your starting point. The only location where you absolutely have to pay to reach is Brooklyn. There are no toll free ways into NYC. However, I can definitely recommend ways to defray your expenses depending on how "motivated" you are to saving funds.

If you need help, please send me a PM as I can try to help you navigate around the area.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

If you know anyone someone serving at the branch and they'd be interested in using their family pass you could also stay at the branch possibly. Always check with your elders, they keep an updated list of hotels with good deals. If your a regular pioneer it is also possible to request acommodation.

Flights during the week are cheaper than the weekend.

There are tolls into or out of Brooklyn, but basically only one each way and they won't really kill you...

In fact, I'm surprised at the figures quoted in this thread so far as being okay.

I entered the area the first time via the Holland Tunnel and that cost $12, parking for the afternoon in the underground carpark just a little distance from Bethel cost maybe $12, it wasn't exhorbitant even if I would prefer to have found a free park in the street.

Back in June when I went back there again I came in from Connecticut and I don't think there was a toll over the bridge I came through. Again I went to the carpark I'd used before and it was around that $12 mark from memory and I was there from about 9am to 2:30pm or so, we had a good look around as well as the tour and a walk up the waterfront to see the Statue of Liberty and bought some lunch at a local shop.

I had come down from Niagara Falls that last trip and stayed in motel at Monticello, it was an easy drive from there to Walkill and there is no parking cost there. After our tour there we drove to Patterson with a small toll over the bridge in between and there was no parking cost at Patterson.

Both times I went to these facilities we did Walkill in the morning and Patterson in the afternoon and had an easy stop for lunch in between. No stress, no rushing to get through it or anything.

The first time I had people saying to me, "You're not going to drive in New York City, are you?" but I found it no real trouble.

The current toll prices are:

Verrazano Bridge - $15.00 CASH (inbound only)

George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnels (any crossing into Manhattan used to get to Brooklyn) - $14.00 CASH (inbound only)

All prices are subject to go up by $1-2 if they get their way.

Again, I live in Northern NJ.  If you are "bold", you can also do as we do and:

1)   Take the bus into the city for about $5-6 then connect to the NYC public transportation system (bus or subway). 

2)    OR park in Fort Lee, NJ (just outside of the George Washington Bridge) for about 50 cents an hour.  You can take ANY bus into the city for $2.  The ride takes about 8 minutes.  All buses will drop you at the George Washington bus station for a connection to the NYC Subway (A Train) which costs another $2.50 one-way.  You can take that to Brooklyn.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫