JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Doomesday Clock has now been set 2 minutes closer to disaster

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3342 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• Symbolic clock was established by Manhattan Project scientists in 1947 
  • It's designed to show how close civilisation is to facing global catastrophe
  • In an announcement the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (BAS) moved the minute hand forward by two minutes
  • It is now at three minutes to midnight, the closest it has been since 1984
  • The BAS moved the clock due to threat of nuclear war and climate change 
  • Last time the Doomsday Clock minute hand moved was in January 2012, when it was pushed from six to five minutes before midnight .

Here are just some of the facts pasted from this long article:

Countries emitting carbon dioxide and other gases are transforming Earth’s climate in a dangerous way,  leaving millions vulnerable to rising sea levels, famines and 'killer storms.'

Failure by governments around the world to reduce their nuclear arsenal, in particular the US and Russia.

In total it is estimated 16,300 nuclear weapons remain in the world - and just 50 to 100 could produce massive casualties and long lasting effects on the atmosphere.

Global temperatures last year were the highest since records began in 1880, according to US scientists.

And 14 of the 15 hottest years on record have occurred in the 21st century, something highlighted by President Obama in his recent State of the Union address.

Temperatures across the world averaged 0.8°C (1.4°F) above 20th century averages - making 2014 the warmest year in records dating back 134 years.

The Met Office had previously announced that 2014 was the hottest year for the UK in records dating back to 1910.

(There are also some interesting charts within this article)

Edited by retroHelen

Wow! I have been watching this clock since I learned about it around age 16 - I have seen it move a few times but this was unexpected. O.O It's funny, people see the changes and they feel something in the air and yet they still won't listen to us....

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Because of "world conditions" scientists have concluded that the doomsday clock must be moved 2 minutes closer to midnight. Sounds like the "great minds" of the earth are seeing a difference in today's worldwide decay and are urging change or we will see a doomsday situation and they don't know exactly what that is but it will be worldwide and devastating.

My bad? I am shocked that they are so concerned and yet don't listen to every avenue...like God's word for any answers. My question what happens once they get to midnight, does the clock start over again? Lol.

At any rate, the clock clearly demonstrates what the "intelligencia" of this world recognize concerning mankind's fate and

it's current dire condition. Should the "man in the street" feel less concerned ? As it is, it is at least a great service tool to show

people that they need to wake up to the severity of world conditions. Perhaps then, by the use of fulfilled Bible prophesy

we can point them to the real solution that has escaped the leaders of this world - that of God's Kingdom.

GStorrs46

A brother used this clock in his talk 2 weeks ago and he said; humans often think that (bad) things will happen to others but not to themselves. So, during warning times (fire, storm or other nature disaster) many loose their life for not heading the warning. And unfortunately, this can easily happen to Christians too (loss or no sense of urgency at all)

This clock will certainly give the wrong time whenever it is that they are saying, "Peace and Security" :o

Interesting comment.  I wonder if they will do away with the doomsday clock entirely.   

Indeed - I have wondered about the usefulness of this metaphor as a measure of world conditions before.  For example, if you take the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis which is possibly the nearest the world has come to a nuclear conflict the clock did not move.  In fact, the year after the clock dropped from 7 minutes to 12 minutes.  It does now include climate change but I still question it's real value.

Edited by seagull

And think about it : Just before the first world war 1, everyone thought we were beginning an area of peace and progress... only a few believed that the world was at the beginning of it's worst period because of the great heaven war...

Just before 70, every Jew thought that Jerusalem will success against the Roman empire.... only a few believed that the end of this city was at hands...

insight on the scriptures will always give the right time of the events, because only Jehovah is the time master :-)

insight on the scriptures will always give the right time of the events, because only Jehovah is the time master :-)

Definitely! And how reliable is a clock that goes back and forth really?....We can be glad Jehovah's clock is accurate and will not delay or go back at the last second!!!