JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What "types" of school or curriculum do you use?

I just retired two weeks ago, after having taught all academic subjects on the secondary level and English as a Second Language. Except for dancing, I never taught Phys. Ed. I home schooled each of my sons for part of their education and WISH I had done it completely K-12. I had been a Social Worker first and did not think I could effectively home school my children. After I switched to Education (taught in 3 states), I was shocked by what goes on in school departments (ALL OVER). Please keep these threads coming as there are sisters who have been asking me for help. I never ever charged to help Home-Schoolers, and have been a free math tutor since age 7. I also like Khan Academy. I live in NY State now, and find that it is highly regulated for home school families. Keep those experiences, and Q's and A's coming. Congrats to all my brothers and sisters that are educating at home :grouphug:  I remember using Home School Yearbooks from ESP as well as Awake magazines and my own math and science approaches. Kudos to all that are home schooling :exclamation:   

My daughter is 15 and life is our curriculum...  I know that sounds strange. Everything you do is a learning experience... a lesson. Everything you participate in can be creatively used as "school curriculum". If you are really observant, you will see where your child's interest lies and then you can build on that. Let them be absorbed in it... for as long as possible and build on it. One of the worst things you can do when a child is interested in something is take it away and say.. " ok time to do different lesson", because you just took away their passion.. their love of learning.. their motivation to stay on track.. to REALLY learn about something.  

My youngest is now early 30’s. He began home schooling around 7th grade mostly because the teachers spent more time with kids who needed extra help and he was either on his own or helping tutor other kids. He said he wasn’t really learning anything. I don’t even remember the homeschooing program but it was very open concept. It was work but was a family process. Before he was 17 he was accepted for a job that college graduates were applying for. He is still with the company. He is a ministerial servant and recently gave his first public talk. But he’s still my “baby”. Keep up the good work you parents!

Hello Everyone!!

After reading your comments there are so many great choices out there.  I have been home teaching my 2 girls for 5-6 years.  My oldest (12) went to Kindergarden and after that I have been teaching.  My youngest (10) has never been to public school.  She also has learning disabilities but we work with it and she is growing like crazy.  I know this has helped in their spirituality because my youngest wanted to be and was baptized by the age of 9, with her older sister! It was the best!

What I use is their own interests mostly.  In the state I live in, they need to be tested, and I am happy to say, that my 12 year old tests at 11th grade levels and my 10 year old at 6th grade (remember, disabilities!).  I also recently found everythinghomeschooling dot com (I don't know how everyone feels about links!) and while it is a pay site it is only 16$ a year.  It gives some really good ideas and my girls really enjoy it.  We did brainpop, time4learning, pear blossom, and others through our years, but this one and their own interests work well for us.  My husband was on the fence about all of it at first, but now tells everyone that it is the way to go if at all possible!

I am not Pauline, but I know people who are. I would be just now starting if I was still living in NY. I would of probably put my oldest in New World School for K-2. Since it was only a couple of blocks from where I live. But, there is also another sister who is homeschooling there who only lives a few blocks from where I lived there too. 

Mainly you have to put in a plan to the school district and register each year. NY sure makes it more difficult but you can do it!

• 3 weeks later...

We're now living in NY and homeschooling. We moved here last year from Washington State, which was home school heaven compared to here. It's been a challenge, but the school district seems very accommodating. My son is a dyslexic learner so we use lots of video sources for his curriculum. He absolutely loved the Crash Course History videos and finished all of world history and US history in half a year. He would sit and watch 2 or 3 videos a day. We had a family visit us with a home schooled son who wanted to do my son's school because he said it was more fun than his. We've tried Supercharged Science which has a lot of fun science videos for all ages, but I think we will do something more in depth next year. For math we do Teaching Textbooks, but it's frustrating because my son hates math and has a hard time getting the concepts through his head. For English, I've delegated that to my mother to mentor him, because it was impossible for me to get him to get anything done. I'm looking into Brave Writer for next year, because my goal is for him to be able to work up talks. He did Montessori in his younger years, which was a 3 day a week program, and it was good for his social development but he wasn't a particularly motivated learner so it didn't prove to be the best match for him.

Dear Sister Karina, I am so glad to hear from a New Yorker. I looked up some info for another Sister before, but lost my own research. There is a home administered test that parents can give which is acceptable by the State of New York. I have forgotten the name of it. Have you stumbled across it, yet? New York is a most difficult State for home school families. Keep updating your experiences, please. Thanks, YS,pauline.

If you can remember the name of that home administered test, I would be very interested. I was thinking of opting him out of the test, or telling him just to walk out, because he's not following the same curriculum as what he will be tested for. I had read somewhere that he could take a test outside of school as long as it was administered by a certified teacher. Is that what you mean?

The 'Pass' Test is designed for parents to administer at home, no certified teacher involved. You can teach whatever you think is appropriate for your child, and then "Teach to the Test." Believe me, that is all that is going on in schools, not to mention score falsification and allowed answer-sharing (cheating). https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Testing/tMain.aspx

curriculum? i don't know 

i would have to think on that if i had kids i would like to try ABC mice 

and sens i don't work  i would do the cleaning if my energy would let me and let my wife take care of the finances 

i remember years ago Calif  tryed to make home school illegal 

Edited by bobby

• 4 weeks later...

State of New York has approved the "PASS" and it is 36 dollars for one test. Less $ for quantity. 

We wound up doing the CAT test, because the PASS test only went up to the 8th grade. It was only $25, and we were able to do a practice test the week before. The district let him take it at home, and he was even able to use the untimed test that allowed him to complete it over the course of several days. It also didn't include Science or Social Studies, and the district was fine with that. The math sections were fairly easy for him, but some of the questions in the Language Arts sections were absolutely ridiculous, and I can't believe they actually make kids learn that stuff in schools these days.

We wound up doing the CAT test, because the PASS test only went up to the 8th grade. It was only $25, and we were able to do a practice test the week before. The district let him take it at home, and he was even able to use the untimed test that allowed him to complete it over the course of several days. It also didn't include Science or Social Studies, and the district was fine with that. The math sections were fairly easy for him, but some of the questions in the Language Arts sections were absolutely ridiculous, and I can't believe they actually make kids learn that stuff in schools these days.

Thanks, I will remember this.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to stop schooling at my 3rd year highschool, that is when in the Philippines dont have K-12. The reason behind it was that, even though my school was one of the top performing, I find it really stressful because they want you to push your strength and devotion for the preparation of college. That is when, because I am discreet of being a Jehovah's Witness. Reality and school is different right, so why are you to learn those misleading things? For me, they are teaching me so high and not leading what I should probably be taught. To cut it, I graduated highschool which is 4 years long yet I already transferred. And my father who is not a witness wanted me to go to college, they said that when I graduated they will be TOTALLY agreed that I can do whatever I want. They be like, its okay for them to support me in my pioneering. They do not want either to work me forcibly after I study, for them its just my investment if I married and have a family. :-)

Now I'm still a student, 3rd year college... I find it unfair, because we got some unnecessary subjects in curriculum, when we can learn it in everyday experiences and also through the study of Bible through important thoughts. I find it hard to pioneer because I got one younger sibling, but others, which I am proud of can do pioneer and college. I'm really proud of them that they can do it, maybe it really takes time to myself as of now. :-)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

I wanted to stop schooling at my 3rd year highschool, that is when in the Philippines dont have K-12. The reason behind it was that, even though my school was one of the top performing, I find it really stressful because they want you to push your strength and devotion for the preparation of college. That is when, because I am discreet of being a Jehovah's Witness. Reality and school is different right, so why are you to learn those misleading things? For me, they are teaching me so high and not leading what I should probably be taught. To cut it, I graduated highschool which is 4 years long yet I already transferred. And my father who is not a witness wanted me to go to college, they said that when I graduated they will be TOTALLY agreed that I can do whatever I want. They be like, its okay for them to support me in my pioneering. They do not want either to work me forcibly after I study, for them its just my investment if I married and have a family. :-)

Now I'm still a student, 3rd year college... I find it unfair, because we got some unnecessary subjects in curriculum, when we can learn it in everyday experiences and also through the study of Bible through important thoughts. I find it hard to pioneer because I got one younger sibling, but others, which I am proud of can do pioneer and college. I'm really proud of them that they can do it, maybe it really takes time to myself as of now. :-)

Dear Sister Alexa, I am on my way to bed. I will pray about your situation and think about it before I venture a reply. Keep praying, dear Sis. 

Edited by kejedo

• 1 year later...

Here's another homeschool curriculum I heard about recently Discover K12

It's says it free.  However, if you want a teacher's account to store grades, etc. it cost about $50

I signed up my daughter but since it is so close to the end of the school year I will have her look at it for next year work.

• 2 months later...
We're now living in NY and homeschooling. We moved here last year from Washington State, which was home school heaven compared to here. It's been a challenge, but the school district seems very accommodating. My son is a dyslexic learner so we use lots of video sources for his curriculum. He absolutely loved the Crash Course History videos and finished all of world history and US history in half a year. He would sit and watch 2 or 3 videos a day. We had a family visit us with a home schooled son who wanted to do my son's school because he said it was more fun than his. We've tried Supercharged Science which has a lot of fun science videos for all ages, but I think we will do something more in depth next year. For math we do Teaching Textbooks, but it's frustrating because my son hates math and has a hard time getting the concepts through his head. For English, I've delegated that to my mother to mentor him, because it was impossible for me to get him to get anything done. I'm looking into Brave Writer for next year, because my goal is for him to be able to work up talks. He did Montessori in his younger years, which was a 3 day a week program, and it was good for his social development but he wasn't a particularly motivated learner so it didn't prove to be the best match for him.

Awesome I homeschool my youngest at the moment been doing it for 15?yrs and found each child different. Currently my daughter is having difficulty with pie= 3.14 find that hands on is best for eg: a cake tin i asked her to trace on bakibg paper the outside of the bottom of the tin. She cut it out. Placed it in the bottom i then said how much do we need to do the sides i measured the height. I said how long do we need to do the length to go around it? She guessed i said measure across the middle how many centimetres is it she said 10cm I said it's roughly 10cm x 3 which is 30cm but I said there is a little bit extra needed maybe 1cm to cover totally. Then she said what is 3.14 or pie needed. I said because if you know the diameter of a circle and you times it by 3.14 you will get the exact answer. Some kids you can just tell them other children need physical proof and why it's necessary and then they get it just a little thought for Aussie maths grade 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive freely as Jehovah Freely forgives us :)

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 8:17 AM, Motherhen said:

What test is untimed?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 8:55 PM, Alexa said:

Alexa, please update. What at you up to now? Thinking of you.     YS