JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Should You Quit Your Good Job?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3293 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here is part of an article about a person(not a Witness) who had a good paying job
and quit. Here are his reasons why.

This is an extreme example, but maybe this can be of help to those who are considering
leaving a good job for what they feel are more important things?

NBA Basketball player - quitting job - losing Millions

biz-insider-65x27_102440.gif By Tony Manfred 9 hours ago

Milwaukee Bucks forward Larry Sanders has walked away from basketball after five years in the league

He explained that the job didn't make him happy, despite the money that goes along with it:
"I think this is seen to be a desirable, lucrative job or position. People say, 'How could you be unhappy there? How could that be a place you don't want to be?' The values and the relationships of the people I love around me are my real riches. That's my lasting wealth."

Sanders had three years remaining on a $44 million contract.

He left around $21 Million on the table in the buyout.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Good for him!  How "good" is a "good job" nowadays anyway?  Doesn't it usually entail sacrificing a bit of yourself, or a lot?  If we who have Jehovah's thought on the matter can see this, how interesting that this basketballer could see the same thing?  Isn't it a universal need to be happy?  Well, some money helps, but really obscene amounts don't guarantee happiness.  Glad he's found a better way to live his life, and I hope it makes others also think...

There are good jobs, then there are great jobs.  I had a good job in solar research and development.  However, the one I have now (regular pioneer) is a great job.

What makes it great?

I like who I work with

I get to set my own hours

I love teaching 

It fulfills a basic spiritual need and produces the fruitage of joy

I am still a little stressed that I haven't been able to acquire something part-time, but with all the things going on in my family.... I look at not working as a blessing from Jehovah.  

I'm off to apply for a part-time technical position that just popped on the job boards - it's two days a week!  I've NEVER seen that before. 

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

• 1 month later...

I definitely agree with hatcheckgirl. I applaud this sports athlete for taking such a courageous stand. Who knows he may someday be our brother.

The Bible says only the necessary things in life are all we need to be happy....Exorbitant large amounts of money can lead to alienation from those who genuinely love and care for you...In the world the rich man has many so-called "friends", but let the money take "wings", it then when those "friends" will disappear quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is part of an article about a person(not a Witness) who had a good paying job

and quit. Here are his reasons why.

This is an extreme example, but maybe this can be of help to those who are considering

leaving a good job for what they feel are more important things?

NBA Basketball player - quitting job - losing Millions

biz-insider-65x27_102440.gif By Tony Manfred 9 hours ago

Milwaukee Bucks forward Larry Sanders has walked away from basketball after five years in the league

He explained that the job didn't make him happy, despite the money that goes along with it:

"I think this is seen to be a desirable, lucrative job or position. People say, 'How could you be unhappy there? How could that be a place you don't want to be?' The values and the relationships of the people I love around me are my real riches. That's my lasting wealth."

Sanders had three years remaining on a $44 million contract.

He left around $21 Million on the table in the buyout.

Excellent article.