JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keeping on the low carb...

It has been 18 months since I last went swimming.  I started back again today.  I had the whole pool to myself!  I was not able to do the mile as when I left off but I am going to give myself 30 days ro be back at that goal.  I did swim laps then free style then laps again.  The oly think I haate to think about is my hair getting brittle again and the occ swimmers ear.  OWWWEEE!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Hi Leslie I also love the water and am an experienced swimmer but would never swim alone. I hope you had someone near to keep an eye on you just in case. Did you get my text?

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I have only lost 7 lbs in just under a month.  I though it would be more because I have really adhered to the low carb--under 20 carbs a day.  The think I miss is really good cake and ice cream.  I have not tried the recipes for low carb bread but bought almond flour, flax seed grounded, and coconut flour so I will try and make some bread this weekend.

I did not receive the text Venus.  I will send you my home number--I don't know if you have the new number after my sister moved out.

Ivy--come on over and stay with me!  WE will do this carb thing together!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I have only lost 7 lbs in just under a month.  I though it would be more because I have really adhered to the low carb--under 20 carbs a day.  The think I miss is really good cake and ice cream.  I have not tried the recipes for low carb bread but bought almond flour, flax seed grounded, and coconut flour so I will try and make some bread this weekend.

I did not receive the text Venus.  I will send you my home number--I don't know if you have the new number after my sister moved out.

Ivy--come on over and stay with me!  WE will do this carb thing together!

I lost around 12lbs in a month and gain back few recently... Surely, I will not give up... I'm trying bullet proof coffee but I really don't like how it taste with my coffee.. I'm trying boost the fat and low the carb and protein... I don't count, lol... And, I swim once in a week...  :squeeze:

:bouncing:

• 2 months later...

I lost approx 6 pounds in two weeks on about 1000 calories a day. Then I switched to low carb, because it is easier and less expensive. I have plateaued, for 2 -3 weeks, and lost nothing since then. I am exercising and dog walking, but of course could do more. I also need to drink more water. I seem to remember long plateaus when I went low carb before. I tested with Keto sticks when I was counting carbs some years ago and did not go into ketosis for months. The best thing is that I have had no sugar and have lost the desire for it. I am def under 20 carbs a day. Any thoughts on breaking through that plateau? I would like to lose about 15 pounds. It was a long winter. My little dog needs to lose weight, too. We have both lost some (but not enough) of our extra upholstery Sigh! :perplexed:

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely feel better without sugar or wheat.I don't miss them. I am still keeping under 20 carbs per day, but have maintained a plateau. Even though I have only lost about 6 or 7 pounds, I can still wear some different clothing that was a bit snug, before. I have added some of Atkins products that tally "net carbs." Are they slowing my potential for weight loss? My doc thinks I am normal BMI,(about 24) but I am accustomed to maintaining a lower weight and BMI. Should I cut calories back to under a 1000 for a couple of weeks for a plateau buster? When I stayed away from sugar before, I eventually kept and maintained a lower weight for quite a long time. Personally,I feel keeping low carb is easier and less expensive. The sisters will be here tomorrow afternoon for our group exercise, flex band, dance gathering.We have been following a slower paced flexband routine to make sure we are keeping the right form of engaging core and breathing on the exertion. Now, we are ready to step it up. My physical therapists told me I had done some damage from being in women's gyms since I was 19, and being taught a form that was incorrect. Not a swimmer. Living La vida locarb- YS pauline

• 1 month later...

I've been on the carb diet a few times when I needed to... generally you only have to stay under 50 carbs a day, and you will lose a pound a day... it actually works... one time I went on it for 30 days and lost 30 pounds.  You should not go on it longer than 30 days since you are really not eating a balanced healthy diet... you need to get back to eating healthy carbs, such as salads and veggies... just portion your food intake when you get to the desired weight, and exercise! 

• 2 months later...

Went from size 12 to size 9 (American sizes) on low carb since end of March. I really feel better and have eliminated a number of meds I was taking. Still room to up the exercise and work on toning. Sorry I got rid of my teeter hangups, because I could use it more now (for back pain). Will have to do alternate back stretches. 

• 3 months later...

Back when I did low carb (Atkins) years ago it worked very well.  My wife and I were working different hours and I was able to fix my own breakfast and lunch (for work).  I lost 5 pounds per week.  Since my wife and I retired I have been unable to do the low carb thing since it upsets my wife's digestion.

My last blood test showed my cholesterol was slightly high and my triglycerides were up.  They recommended a low carb diet, no sugar diet for me.  So I guess I will be doing low carb again.  My wife will just have to eat slightly different meals so that her digestion is not adversely affected.

She can eat the oatmeal for breakfast while I have my eggs.

Edited by Witness1970