JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Net Neutrality

Basically, nothing changes.

The net neutrality law (which has been passed by the FCC) puts into law the de-facto rules that have been in effect since the 1990s. While there were concerns that things could change for the worse if the bill did not pass, those concerns can now be laid to rest.

There are media outlets that claim otherwise, but their reports are largely written by corporate sponsors and invariably speak against politicians and political parties, with zero basis in the actual facts of the law as it has been passed.

I'll give you the short version: some things on the internet take more bandwidth than others, such as watching videos on JW Broadcasting. ISPs such as Time Warner and Comcast would like to charge more for internet "fast lanes" for these types of things. They laws they have fought for would in fact allow them to bottleneck content in favor of their own content as well.

In short, it's a law that only benefits internet service providers and lets them make more money. To the internet end user, it means we might have to pay more for certain types of content. To content distributors, it means they would basically have to pay bribes to ISPs in order to get fast lanes for their content, or else suffer in the slow lane.

The neutrality laws the FCC passed means that the internet is a utility, much like electricity or water, and can't be slowed or blocked for any reason except non-payment.

Predictably, ISPs are [angry], issuing misleading press releases trying to make the new law sound like a bad thing. No doubt there will be lawsuits soon. But for now, the internet as a whole is a resource that your access to at any promised speed is protected.

In short, it's a law that only benefits internet service providers and lets them make more money. To the internet end user, it means we might have to pay more for certain types of content. To content distributors, it means they would basically have to pay bribes to ISPs in order to get fast lanes for their content, or else suffer in the slow lane.

That is literally the exact opposite of net neutrality...

IF net neutrality DID NOT PASS, the ISPs would have the legal right to charge extra for content, restrict non-paying companies, etc.

But now that the law DID PASS, the ISPs and the paid media companies are intentionally lying about the effects of the law, to get people to call for a repeal and let them enact the very policies that people think they would be fighting against.

Thank you soo much, brothers, for the simple facts.

We don't get in depth "important" news reporting anymore, just sound bites. Oh yes we do , I forgot, "What color was that Dress".

I sure miss Walter Cronkite , now I'm telling my age. :)

I see blue and black! 

:bouncing:

That is literally the exact opposite of net neutrality...

IF net neutrality DID NOT PASS, the ISPs would have the legal right to charge extra for content, restrict non-paying companies, etc.

Sorry, my phrasing is off. I knew what I was talking about, but I put words in the wrong order. Thanks for clarifying.

Sorry, my phrasing is off. I knew what I was talking about, but I put words in the wrong order. Thanks for clarifying.

Sorry if I came across a little snippy, it's just been a touchy subject this past few days with all the misinformation flying around, especially when clients have been calling multiple times a day with absurd demands like "now Obama can hack my refrigerator so I need you to install a firewall"...

Sorry if I came across a little snippy, it's just been a touchy subject this past few days with all the misinformation flying around, especially when clients have been calling multiple times a day with absurd demands like "now Obama can hack my refrigerator so I need you to install a firewall"...

Didn't strike me as snippy at all. And I am thankful I have not heard similar requests (the ones I hear are more along the lines of, "I spilled beer directly into my computer, left it there four days, and repeatedly attempted to turn it on. Can you fix it?"

Thank you soo much, brothers, for the simple facts.

We don't get in depth "important" news reporting anymore, just sound bites. Oh yes we do , I forgot, "What color was that Dress".

I sure miss Walter Cronkite , now I'm telling my age. :)

And that's the way it is...:-)