JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Convention Dramas

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3333 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My step father was in it, long ago... the same year I was baptized. I believe your congregation is not asked. I believe auditions are held on a certain day and it's a circuit that is chosen, so if you are in that circuit and it is announced you show up at the auditions on the day for them. It was months upon months of auditions. 

My step father played the part of the people who pretended to be poor and with out food or money, because they did not want to be killed by the Israelite. When found to be lying they agreed to become slaves. I can't remember what the main theme of that drama was though. It was in the mid 80's... so going on 30 years ago.

I was in the 2006 convention drama "To Whose Authority Do You Submit?", based on 1 Kings chapter 13. You remember, it had the altar that split apart and the prophet who got eaten by a lion :P I played a youth named Raham, who did not see anything wrong with worshipping the golden calf that Jeroboam set up. I had a spear prop that I was actually allowed to keep after the drama (usually, all props are retained for future use in dramas). Another cast member made it. It was great fun.

On the note of how ones are selected to have parts in a drama: Now it may be different in the States, but in Australia, a drama director is selected by either the branch or the CO, I'm not sure, and then he selects his cast. My drama director chose brothers and sisters from several congregations, not all in his circuit either. But yes, months and months of rehearsals; ours were on a Saturday afternoon. However, I personally feel that live-action dramas are a thing of the past now. Think of the video drama from last year's convention; much less work involved, less costumes and props to prepare, and more time that can be spent in the ministry. Perhaps modern-day dramas will still be live. I will miss them if that is the case, they are such a novel thing, but also such an effective teaching method. :)

I just assumed it was a congregation that was chosen because always at the end of our dramas they would say "thank you to the.'such and such' congregation for their fine work in performing this years drama" or something to that effect.

I fear that we may have just videos from now on as well. I personally prefer the live action for the dramas, both modern day and biblical.

I have been in three Dramas .... but, it has been many years (back when they were assigned by Congregation) and I was never in a Congregation that was assigned a Drama. I was invited to help the Congregation that was assigned.

I was just one of the crowd in the first one and also helped with the props.

I had my own scene in one - it was one about Joseph and his Brothers and him in Egypt. I was the one who brought in the "map" of where the storehouses were set up. The scene was in the Drama to help demonstrate the great power the Joseph had.

In the other one I was one of Abishai's men, along with a couple other Brothers. I was the one who dragged the Amalekite away to execute him. We were a feisty, bloodthirsty group who continued to egg Abishai on when he wanted to " . . .pin him to the ground with the spear just once, and I will not need to do it twice.. . ." (1 Samuel 26:8)

They were great fun .... but, they do consume a great amount of time.

I do still have my sword from the one about David ... but then, I did make the swords :)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

It is a great privilege to be in a drama. But lets not forget those who's drama is not a play but is real and they cant practice over and over to get it right. Those brother and sisters are to be commended for their faith and taking sides with Jehovah. Bless all who have parts and those who walk life in drama.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the privilege to be assigned to direct the Esther drama a couple of years ago.  It was quite an experience. 

Generally the brother assigned will hold "auditions" for many of the parts.  It may be based on his contacts over the years.  That doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be chosen to try out.  The branch is very specific about who to cast.  Not just spiritual qualifications but also age, gender and sometime ethnicity if the part calls for it.

If not careful, the auditions can hurt feelings.  So if you are ever chosen to try out and don't make the cut, don't take it personally.  Just continue to work on expressive qualities that you've learned at the theocratic ministry school and your chance may come around again.  And remember, the brother directing is mostly looking at your spiritual qualifications.  He can bring out your dramatic qualities with each rehearsal.  There were several that at first I thought "oh, boy" but after 12 weeks of rehearsal they were ready for an academy award!  :thumbsup:

I was amazed to see Jehovah as the one really directing the drama.  It was stressful the first few weeks trying to get everything organized.  We had 26 in the cast plus an additional 40 each week with stage hands, make up, costumes, props and cast family.  It was a like we had formed our own drama congregation!   We invited everyone over last year for a "reunion" to watch it (some never saw it) and hang out.  Overall, it was a great experience.

I appreciate deeply on how the FDS prepares every drama we have. And for the benefit of all the convention attendees and to strengthen spiritualy, how important it is to give our extra mile our time and our effort for the preparation. And Im glad and much appreciation that Ive always been part of the drama team either Im playing some char or im in the backstage assiting for the makeups and costumes. Truly wonderful experience not to mention the countless drama practice and of course the good association :) indeed All of us are always looking forward with the drama..right?

Smile Until It Hurts :)

The only way to know soon is if you know the brother that has the drama assignment.  He should receive the assignment (at least here in the United States) about 16 weeks before the first convention.  Our convention is July so the drama would be assigned most likely this month.  Otherwise, we'll have to wait until we hear rumors or hear from those who have the first convention of the year.

Since we have been in Alaska, our whole family or at least some of us have been in countless dramas. Our two sons were soldiers in one way back in 1976. I don't remember what the name of it was. In the Hezekiah drama my husband was the modern-day elder, my daughter and I were congregation members and our oldest son played the part of Rabshakeh, the Assyrian that taunted Jehovah. I also worked with making the costumes and had to make one that looked Assyrian with a pointy papier mache helmet. Every year I was in charge of costumes and making sure quick changes were made. Tom played the part of Joshua and I had to make him a special garment as outlined in the drama script. He had to have a big staff and he still has it. Our son played two parts so he had to have quick change garment. Tom has been in several others that I can't remember the names of. Since there are only two towns of any size in Alaska, One year we would have one that our 3 congs in Fairbanks area put on and then the next year the Anchorage area would have it. We loved so much having all these privileges of service, but alas our health does not allow us to do it and we sorely miss it.   :cry:  We are not even able to travel the 360 miles to Anchorage for the Regional convention any more. We were so thankful to get the entire program by streaming TV. What a blessing from Jehovah that was but it still made us sad to not be there in person. Tom has even had to drop out of the RBC and that is like exile for him. He is only 88 now so he hung up his hammer and trowel.         It was fun while it lasted. :taz:  :ecstatic:

Edited by Agent MOM

One of my sons, with his wife, were in two different dramas one time.

(Do me a favor people to please not ask me which ones, what year (s) and all that. I'm one of those bad mothers who even forget my children's names at times and call them by their siblings name).

Edited by Luezette

My husband was in the Friday drama two years ago where in the new world a brother is telling Job the trials he went through in the last days. It was heartbreaking every time they rehearsed it and the parents found out the grandpa and the daughter had died in an accident. My husband was the co-worker who tries to 'help' . Such a great drama, and my husband still remembers much of it word for word.

I got to help the 'wife' change clothes backstage, and that was really hard because she had some complicated outfits like a pantsuit. But it was a real privilege to be a part of that!