JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thai[?] game show sponsored by JW.ORG?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3310 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I can't imagine the branch would actually pay for this. So maybe someone, on their own, put up the funds to run this quick ad. Maybe someone who actually works on the show is a JW. Kind of weird if the branch actually did pay for this. Maybe this is the next step in implementing the original message of "Advertise! Advertise! Advertise!" :P

Looks like one of our buses taking workers to our construction site.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Looks like one of our buses taking workers to our construction site.

Nope, that bus (from a foreign country) was another example of the unauthorized use I spoke of earlier.

From what I've heard, the branch has been coming down pretty hard on these cases, at least in part due to the fact that many ads were paid out of congregation funds, including hefty "design fees" going to professed Witnesses who did nothing but download copyrighted material from the site and re-publish it for their own profit.

If a congregation misappropriates funds to a use not approved by the branch, it is indeed unauthorized.

I think this would probably be grounds for at least removing the decision-maker from his responsibility in the congregation.

This is ridiculous.  What about if that game-show has swears or sexual innuendo in it?  If you sponsor something, you're telling the world "We approve of what this person/organization does."

smh

Edited by hansolo8004

@ stavro: for this bus, it's not the case...

But I fully agree  your point of view

and about the term "Sponsor" it's perhaps a little to much. .. we can Speak about a brief add inserted. certainly not a sponsoring of a game.

Edited by peper-eliot

for this bus, it's not the case...

So this bus wrap really was authorized by the branch, despite the organization's worldwide policy of no corporate or secular advertising, and no use of copyrighted materials outside of specifically authorized applications?

yes... :uhhuh: for one year ! and if it's authorized I of course it's  include the use of  copyrighted material

But, that's perhaps the only case you will find. It's really exceptional

this bus is the great brother of our little public witness  cart. ^_^

Edited by peper-eliot

@ stavro: for this bus, it's not the case...

But I fully agree  your point of view

and about the term "Sponsor" it's perhaps a little to much. .. we can Speak about a brief add inserted. certainly not a sponsoring of a game.

That is the definition of "sponsor" in this case.

spon·sor
ˈspänsər/
noun

a person or organization that provides funds for a project or activity carried out by another, in particular.
  • an individual or organization that pays some or all of the costs involved in staging a sporting or artistic event in return for advertising.
    noun: sponsor; plural noun: sponsors
  • a person who pledges to donate a certain amount of money to another person after they have participated in a fund-raising event organized on behalf of a charity.
  • US
    a business or organization that pays for or contributes to the costs of a radio or television program in return for advertising.

In this case, someone paid the game show in exchange for putting the JW.org logo at the beginning.  Or they put the logo in there without permission/payment.  

Edited by Shawnster

:chinese: I don't speak the language of this TV game show But it seems thats you have a brief page of 3 advertising at the beginning. And, at the middle of the game, you have a lot of prizes, probably  from partners or Sponsors of the game

But no Bible study prize to win... :uhhuh:

I don't want to excuse or minimize the issue ...but, as we don't know the long and short of this case  (this short screen add - 4s) in this TV game, we should not be to affirmative in dealing with this issue (proverbs 18:13)

Edited by peper-eliot

A friend texted this to me.

Watch at the 53 second mark. They say its sponsored by JW.ORG.

I think this is a fake. It just looks out of place with all the other ads. Take a look at the used the JW logo in the monthly programs.

If the society was going to pay for an ad on TV don't you think it would be something a bit more substantial than just the static JW.org logo?

Placing a static image like that into a video would be child's play with the software available today.

Edited by niall

Re: the bus

I received an email with 2 pics of the bus, including the pic above back in August 2014.  I had thought that it was part of the French branch's response to winning the legal battle (http://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/france/video-clip-france-returns-funds-interview/), and as a way to counteract the negative press the witnesses had received for many years there.

They also had a shopfront in Rouen, and this city has also featured in other campaigns such as http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/activities/ministry/the-armada-2013/#?insight[search_id]=770160cc-b8bf-479d-920e-fd931cff04fe&insight[search_result_index]=8 and http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/activities/ministry/bible-exhibit-rouen-france/#?insight[search_id]=d2af11d0-e4a2-4dc9-822a-18cb3180cd31&insight[search_result_index]=6.

Do we really know that the bus was not sanctioned by the French branch?  It seems to be in line with the other interesting and innovative activities there.  We may need more clarification from French brothers in the know.

As for the original post game show sponsorship - that's really a shocker!

Edited by hatcheckgirl

Do we really know that the bus was not sanctioned by the French branch?

I do not know about the bus specifically, but I do know many of the billboards were "unauthorized use of copyrighted materials and congregation funds".

A few brothers in my congregation had considered getting a billboard, since they had seen similar billboards posted online, and when they asked the branch that quoted line was part of the response.

I think this is a fake. It just looks out of place with all the other ads. Take a look at the used the JW logo in the monthly programs.

If the society was going to pay for an ad on TV don't you think it would be something a bit more substantial than just the static JW.org logo?

Placing a static image like that into a video would be child's play with the software available today.

Unless it was a specific individual brother or congregation that took it upon themselves to pay for an ad in this game show and simply provided the logo used in the video.  They could have copied and pasted it from somewhere and sent it to the producers of the show.

As far as the bus thing goes, I don't really have an opinion.  It might have been sanctioned by the branch, since it's actually "sponsoring" anything; it's not like it's on the side of a cereal box.  But who knows.  It may also be the same deal as the video.

That was one of the points I was trying to make, but I didn't do a good job at it.   Anyone with computer skills can lift the logo and place it in that spot.  

• An apostate could have faked the entire thing just to rile people up online.  
  • The people who made the video could have just grabbed logos and put them in at the beginning giving no thought to sponsorship or selling ad space.
  • Someone could have purchased that spot and put the logo in without permission from the Branch.

We know the Society would never have done this.  That's all we really need concern ourselves with.

Edited by Shawnster

. . .

• The people who made the video could have just grabbed logos and put them in at the beginning giving no thought to sponsorship or selling ad space.
. . .

I'm not so sure it's just a logo plugged into the ad space. The woman's voice in the video says: "jw.org" in it, pronouncing the letters in English.

Or maybe that can be done as easily as plugging a logo into the space? I'm not sure.