JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

So what are you reading right now?

Ok it's a joke I read more then one book at a time, sometimes at the same time.... (ADD at it's finest folks!). It wasn't long ago my husband walked in on me reading two books at once, one in each hand and he was like what are you doing? lol haha I was like yeah reading one book at a time is for slackers in my family. (come from a long line of ADD lol) And then we joked about how my dad (this is true though) will get dressed, read, and drive all at the same time. (scared my husband to death the first time he was in the car during this!!! lol).

Any who... right now I am into Ruth Beechick and John Holt, also read a book by Large Family Mothering, and am reading a John Taylor Gatto book. While the JTG is interesting and ok... probably will not read much else by him (right now it's Dumbing Down that I am reading). I just don't have time... I have too many other things to get read up on. But, I really liked the book by Large Family Mothering. And so far am loving Ruth Beechick, and John Holt. So I am probably going to read all their books that I can. I am also reviewing The Well Trained Mind... it's a "good" read, but I think I kind of lean more towards John Holt, and Ruth Beechick type learning... not sure though... on the WTM. It's good, I am just not so sure if it is saying to be more rigid then what I am... and nope not going any more rigid then what we do, because how we do things is working so far!

LOVE the year book, I want to get a year book, book club started, where we bring a dish from that country and discuss that part.... so it would have to be at least a 3 to 4 month club... (one meeting for each country represented-largely represented, not just a subheading under the world wide news part).

We read those books every day for school too Heather! lol haha

For recreational reading, I'm going to be reading a book my husband bought me-in praise of stay at home moms, and Mountain Mama (a true story about a ozark woman from childhood through three generations, all three generations had a part in writing it). I read No Lace for Cricket already a few years ago, but couldn't find Mountain Mama, No Lace for Cricket was actually the second book, so looking forward to reading the first.

But, since this is the homeschool forum, I should of probably stated it better... what books are you reading for ideas on how to educate your children, and such?

I have a book at work I'm slowly getting through ... "Imitate Their Faith"

Now after sister Luzette's thread - I'm working through the new publication: "God's King Rules" at home.

I  have the yearbook in the loo.

And the brochure "Teach your children" in the car.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I have a book at work I'm slowly getting through ... "Imitate Their Faith"

Now after sister Luzette's thread - I'm working through the new publication: "God's King Rules" at home.

I  have the yearbook in the loo.

And the brochure "Teach your children" in the car.

I stubbornly waited to begin the "God's Kingdom Rules" book until it was available online.

Now that it is, we're doing it for family worship.  It's an amazing book.  I love it!

LOVE the year book, I want to get a year book, book club started, where we bring a dish from that country and discuss that part.... so it would have to be at least a 3 to 4 month club... (one meeting for each country represented-largely represented, not just a subheading under the world wide news part).

We read those books every day for school too Heather! lol haha

For recreational reading, I'm going to be reading a book my husband bought me-in praise of stay at home moms, and Mountain Mama (a true story about a ozark woman from childhood through three generations, all three generations had a part in writing it). I read No Lace for Cricket already a few years ago, but couldn't find Mountain Mama, No Lace for Cricket was actually the second book, so looking forward to reading the first.

But, since this is the homeschool forum, I should of probably stated it better... what books are you reading for ideas on how to educate your children, and such?

What a great idea!  I am just a few hours south of you!  Deena (Horsejump) and Julsey (in Texas) maybe even Judy in Oklahoma could come for a weekend!  You could host it and show me how!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Currently reading-How Children Fail, by John Holt.

It was not my choice pick of one of his books to read, but the only book of his that my local library had in stock. So I checked it out, while waiting for them to order a few others.

I personally had not planned on reading this particular title of his, but so far I am pretty glad I am. It's very insightful about how children need to be challenged and taught to use reasoning. Much like we want people to do when learning the truth. As we see even to this day, the majority of people do not know how to use the skill of reasoning, or thinking things through very thoroughly. But, something we really must teach our children just like we have to teach many of our Bible students this skill. Pretty good thoughts, and observations.

Currently reading-How Children Fail, by John Holt.

It was not my choice pick of one of his books to read, but the only book of his that my local library had in stock. So I checked it out, while waiting for them to order a few others.

I personally had not planned on reading this particular title of his, but so far I am pretty glad I am. It's very insightful about how children need to be challenged and taught to use reasoning. Much like we want people to do when learning the truth. As we see even to this day, the majority of people do not know how to use the skill of reasoning, or thinking things through very thoroughly. But, something we really must teach our children just like we have to teach many of our Bible students this skill. Pretty good thoughts, and observations.

Critical thinking is hard to teach, it is easier to just accept and move on. But that doesn't show true acceptance. A person has to be trained to figure things out for himself. The BE book has simple ways we can learn to do research and for for us to be better teachers and be a student who reasons on things himself. This absolutely doesn't just apply to our ministry and is something all parents need to do with their kids.

Sounds like an interesting book.

Bible story book, teach your children , the bible. I forgot there were choices. It's been a while since I actually read a book. :). for myself anyway.

Good for you, sister.  We have so many publications to read as well as the JW websites to keep up with, there is little time to read secular books.   Unless we give up TV altogether - and who wants to do that?

Heather that is EXACTLY what John Holt's whole point was! The school systems do not want to take the time it takes to let children use their reasoning abilities to figure things out, with out bating or helping the children discover things on their own... they wouldn't be able to put in paper work for it.. and would not be able to show daily paper work for such and just won't do it.

Sounds to me in the book I was reading (finished) that he was mainly a math teacher, at least during this book, and when he allowed children to do things over and over and over again with hands on things for math, with out bating them for the answers, or telling them how to get the answers... they would finally finally find the answers, and made the math click on for them, where before these 5th graders had no concept of the numbers they were supposed to be working with, as the very foundation of math that they needed to know, to actually solve mathematical problems! But, of course this transcends into all aspects of life. Sadly I see most people are "dull" and not so bright, and do not even try to find reasonable answers and choices for their every day lives. That's one thing as Jehovah's people that we are actually encouraged to do-dig, search, think about reasonable conclusions and answers! And not let others (except Jehovah) influence these choices by their opinions, taking over our own reasoning abilities!

Any way, there was one chapter, and a few spots, where I will just admit he talks about the "mentally retarded" he was not talking about them disrespectfully but as a observer. These things he wrote was in the 1950's politically correct wording was not the same at that time. So I did not take offense to it, some may.. but hopefully most can over look that and see what his points were. His points are VERY important I think to the very very foundation of not just homeschoolers but parents in general to teach their children to use their own thinking abilities! And not just drone along!

Last week I read How Children Fail by John Holt, very interesting observations. This week I am reading Teach Your Own by John Holt... wow I keep just nodding my head in agreement with almost every thing he claims. Both about how children actually learn and how the schools fail many children. I've seen almost all the scenarios he writes about... to a T! Highly recommend this book!