JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Bad Cough Remedy ...

Good morning brothers and sisters ... for some time now (years in fact|) I've been suffering with a persistent hacking cough ... as soon as the night air sets in ... whether it's due to my medications, reflux or my asthma - I'm not sure ... could be a combo of all maybe. At night sometimes it gets so bad I end up vomiting and end up with mastoid swellings in my neck ... but ...

Lying in bed the other night - something came to mind ... it  was something an old indian gentlemen told me - who used to run a bulk spice store - I hadn't remembered it until four nights ago - he said they use a mixture of vinegar, honey and water as a cough remedy.

So I tried it four nights - not one cough at night since.  So thought I'd let you guys know about this remedy in case you wish to try it - it's inexpensive and many of us have the vinegar and honey at home in our pantries.

Here is how I prepare it:

1/2 C of boiled water - cooled.

2 tsp of honey

4 tsp of vinegar (I use white vinegar).

Mix until the honey is dissolved put into a little bottle in your fridge.

I use 2 tsps. of this morning and evening.

Hope it works for you as it has for me - nothing worse than a cough that stops you from getting a good nights sleep.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I have this weird thing that when I get over a cold or flu, I continue coughing for weeks afterwards.  This is my current predicament.  You drink this?  Or gargle it only?

Thanks for the recipe!

I drink it - I've actually used this in the past to stop tummy bugs - when you first get that icky stomach - drink half the mixture I put up in my first post - it stops the bug in its track. But I had never applied it as a cough mixture before now - it works superbly - something to try at least before spending money on commercial concoctions that may or may not work.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Good morning brothers and sisters ... for some time now (years in fact|) I've been suffering with a persistent hacking cough ... as soon as the night air sets in ... whether it's due to my medications, reflux or my asthma - I'm not sure ... could be a combo of all maybe. At night sometimes it gets so bad I end up vomiting and end up with mastoid swellings in my neck ... but ...

Lying in bed the other night - something came to mind ... it  was something an old indian gentlemen told me - who used to run a bulk spice store - I hadn't remembered it until four nights ago - he said they use a mixture of vinegar, honey and water as a cough remedy.

So I tried it four nights - not one cough at night since.  So thought I'd let you guys know about this remedy in case you wish to try it - it's inexpensive and many of us have the vinegar and honey at home in our pantries.

Here is how I prepare it:

1/2 C of boiled water - cooled.

2 tsp of honey

4 tsp of vinegar (I use white vinegar).

Mix until the honey is dissolved put into a little bottle in your fridge.

I use 2 tsps. of this morning and evening.

Hope it works for you as it has for me - nothing worse than a cough that stops you from getting a good nights sleep.

Basically I heard the same thing. I could be wrong on this, but warm will work too. Yet, there is another remedy and that is put a pillow over the person face about 3 minutes and that ought to take care of the coughing for sure.

Thank you for that. This is good too:

1/2 teaspoon of honey

1 teaspoon of lemon (I like fresh lemon)

Stir it up and drink.

Mindset: The lemon to break up the mucus. The honey to make it go down. Some heat it up though that isn't absolutely necessary. And of course you don't have to stick to that ratio of honey and lemon. The idea is to use enough mixture of each for it to work.

Edited by Luezette

In a bowl...slice a nice chuck of onion in pieces...pour a good amount of honey over it!  I use raw honey! 

cover it with a plastic wrap  - let it sit over night!  works well for us adults!  I do not give to the children.

Edited by CyreJay

Hi my name is Teresa and I'm from Georgia. Usually here in the South often use many different things but one that I didn't care as a kid and don't care for now, but I think that it really works fast for the hacking cough. It is paste garlic and local honey.

lol Teresa how could that NOT work! haha. We had a SINGLE CO here - note he is STILL single haha - who used to eat garlic sandwiches every day - he hardly got sick with colds or flus - he got sick with other stuff but not buggy stuff.

In a bowl...slice a nice chuck of onion in pieces...pour a good amount of honey over it!  I use raw honey! 

cover it with a plastic wrap  - let it sit over night!  works well for us adults!  I do not give to the children.

Okay, now we're on the not for children remedies. Will Tennessee Honey work?

lol Teresa how could that NOT work! haha. We had a SINGLE CO here - note he is STILL single haha - who used to eat garlic sandwiches every day - he hardly got sick with colds or flus - he got sick with other stuff but not buggy stuff.

Sometimes I will get something for lunch from the chinese place near my work. It has only a HINT of garlic in it, but when I get home my wife can always tell!  

I think it comes out of my pores or something.  

:angry:

I have a better remedy. Turn your car on and stick your mouth over the exhaust pipe for 3 or 4 minutes. 

This will take care of the cough for sure, until the NW!

It reminds me of something I recently learned.  In the 1800's, blowing tobacco smoke into the anus was an actual remedy against drowning!  They would have pipes of tobacco at stands by local waters, like rivers or lakes, where people would swim.  It went on to become a "remedy" for other things as well.  Supposedly it's where the phrase "blowing smoke up your butt" came from.

What a strange world we live in!   :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

There would be nothing wrong with giving children vinegar and honey, but they probably won't WANT to take it. So perhaps less on the vinegar and more on the honey for children.

Manuka honey is beautiful honey, it's from New Zealand but is found all over the world in deli and other specialty shops ... it's very soothing on the throat and has special antibiotic properties. It is even used in hospitals to soothe the stomach after chemo therapy in children with cancer.

It's quite expensive though. I think too when it comes to YOUR child - it's YOUR research that is important ... with vinegar it contains a lot of amino acids that can nicely balance the system. I knew a wee girl once whose favourite food was Pickled onions and salt and vinegar chips ... so you never know your child might love the taste of vinegar.