JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Dead and in a ditch!"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3296 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

For several years the congregations on the southern part of the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia, had been trying to get approval for a new Kingdom Hall.

They had their land, they had the funds to build the hall, they were prepared to accept any reasonable condition put upon them by the local City Council.

I had been aware of this because my youngest brother lived in the road alongside where the hall was to be built. I used to look at the vacant site when I was visiting him before his untimely death almost seven years ago.

Then, a couple of years ago, the hall was built. A nice hall, of course, and a shout of praise to Jehovah, publicising his congregation as it was on the corner of a major road. Naturally there was plenty of publicity about it being built, but there was one detail that wasn't in the papers and I wondered if it was true.

What I was told was that one of the Council members, an elected representative of long standing, was against the construction. And I was further told that she'd said, "That Kingdom Hall will be built over my dead body!"

This woman was in her mid-fifties and that was said to be the result of a personal representation to her by some of the local brothers who made up the building committee. And then she was said to have suffered a fatal heart attack a few days later.

I wondered about this, there seemed to be a lot of underlying discussion about it which might well mean it was true.

Then, several weeks ago, we had a substitute Circuit Overseer at our congregation for a couple of days, he was from that area and attended that hall. I asked him about it.

"No, that's not what she said," he told me. "What she actually said was, 'I'll be dead and in a ditch before that hall is built!'"

What a strange thing to say. It's not a normal kind of expression at all.

So what came next?

Some days after making that pronouncement she was taking a walk along a local road, suffered a fatal heart attack and fell, rolling into a ditch.

Wow Things happen all the time when people try to block Jehovah from doing things. I have heard about things from Brothers that had first hand knowledge about it. and man there is no other way to look at it other than Jehovah made it happen. We do have miracles. They are just not the type everyone in the world can see. They are blind for a reason. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Wow Things happen all the time when people try to block Jehovah from doing things. I have heard about things from Brothers that had first hand knowledge about it. and man there is no other way to look at it other than Jehovah made it happen. We do have miracles. They are just not the type everyone in the world can see. They are blind for a reason. 

Jehovah singles out one individual because she was holding up building a Kingdom Hall?  :lol:

I think time and circumstance is more likely.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Ok here is one for you. In Calgary Canada. My uncle was there and witnessed this. 

They were building a new Kingdom hall and they needed to take out a tree that was on the property line. The neighbour fought it and took it to court. The judge said fine you can have the tree. The brothers could not touch it. That night a freak storm came up and lightning hit the tree. Split the thing right down through the tap root. It all fell on the Brothers side so the cut it up and used it for part of the trim in the hall.

Same site. Brothers as a neighbour if they could buy a pile of top soil that was on the neighbours property. He said no you can't have it. a day or two later a wind storm came up and blew the whole pile onto the brothers property. Person took them to court to get it back judge said no it was a wind storm and an act of god. 

As for that council member I do believe that Jehovah uses people to met out his justice in this world. How many times have we heard about enemies of the kingdom not finding things that were in plain site? Or guards that were transporting brothers across boarders with literature. They didn't see it and the brothers got away safe with it?

Only Jehovah knows if he put the words in her mouth and made a preexisting condition happen but we should not doubt Jehovah makes things happen all the time for his people and Organization. Only he knows how wicked that person was and made her pay for some plot she had cooked up or curse she had made against his people. She died who are we to ask why?

Edited by Greg Dent

I am not discounting that occasionally ‘time and circumstance’ does deliver an event we can be thankful for.

Time and circumstance can also produce an event that is distressful, such as the head on collision involving the six sisters we noted earlier on this forum.

Here is my take on time and circumstances. Take it with a grain of salt. :) 

I was building a strip mall in Renton WA. I had met our projects neighbor, in fact I gave him a lot of surplus lumber. The project’s parking lot was 5 feet lower than the neighbors property. There was an immense fir tree growing right next to the property line, on his side. We cut the bank out

to our grade severing several big roots that were on the project’s property.

Next week our company gets served with notice that we are being sued for damaging this tree. For a few weeks we went around and around with tree experts, and lawyers firing off letters. If you have every been sued you know that you always lose, even if you win. Project delays, filing fees, lawyer fees etc. It looked like it was 

going to be an expensive time consuming issue. :( 

About a month after we were served the papers I attended the District Convention in Tacoma WA. Guess who walked in? Right, the plaintiff , the complaining neighbor. We were both surprised to see each other. I said hello and made some comment on how it was nice to see him again. 

Didn’t see him again for the remainder of the convention, but heard from our lawyer the following week that the plaintiff was dropping the lawsuit. 

Turns out his wife was the JW, he only attended special events.

To me it was a miracle :lol: , I wasn’t going to spend hours doing depositions, meeting with lawyers etc.

In reality it was just 'time and circumstance.'  :) 

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Jehovah singles out one individual because she was holding up building a Kingdom Hall?  :lol:

I think time and circumstance is more likely.

Remember what happened to Egyption Pharaoah because he refused letting Israelites go ? He acted aginst Jehovah's will at that time.

When somone directly acts against Jehovah's will ..yes I think Jehovah can sort it out.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

That was the point of my post. Those people thought they could stop progress for Jehovah's people. Who other than Jehovah could have done those things to thwart those that were against his people? He does things all the time to help his people but especailly his organization. 

Have no doubt the he pulls strings and yes singles out people that try and thwart his will.

Some years ago, a sister I knew visited Egypt.

This country is largely muslim and if a Jehovah's witness were to 'pursuade' any to turn their back on their religion, the Jehovah's witness could face death.

She wanted to take literature into the country, and the Society advised to wrap the books as if they were presents.

She did.

However, an electronic screening would still show them as books, just the same.

But what happened was this.

As her bags went through the screening machines, those monitoring the machines turned away from the screens and began talking with each other.

They didn't turn back to the screens until the sister's "contraband" had moved past the screens' displays.

The next year, myself and another sister went to Lebanon and on to Jordan.

We also had contraband books.

The day before heading out, my sister ate some "french fries" - and got sick as a dog.

(you gotta be so careful when travelling, you don't know how food is prepared and stored when you're travelling)

But she was adamant to go on the next leg of our journey.

She was scary sick on the flight.

(have no idea why they let her on in the first place)

When we landed in Jordan - I couldn't even count the number of checkpoints we went through (we're talking rapid fire weapons slung over their shoulders).

Then we picked up our luggage, and headed to customs.

As we approached, one officer saw us coming toward her - hanging on to Nita so she wouldn't fall.

She was majorly sick.

The officer's smile disappeared and was replaced with concern, worry - then she began waving us through.

She did not want us there.

Again - the literature went through.

Coincidence?

I don't know, but I prefer to attribute this to Jehovah.

I have one too from 1970s in one of our magazines.

A brother was in prison for his neutrality. The warden treated him terribly. One of the things he was given though was a candle and a piece of lemon. So the brother painstakingly carved in Jehovah's name in the middle of his cement cell floor, poured some melted wax in the carvings from the candle, and used the juice from the lemon in it.

One day the warden stepped in the brother's cell with intent on doing him harm, saw the name Jehovah in the middle of the floor and fell straight on his face!

The was a time when I was attending a job search program. It was about 9am to about1pm. So I always had my literature with me because afterwards I would go out in service. At that time, I had a very small photograph album that was used as a tract holder for the small tracts. I loved putting the "Who Is Jehovah?" ones smack in the first compartment.

Anyway, there was a job developer who, for some reason, didn't like me and I suspect it was because of who I represent. No matter. One day, however I had to speak to another developer, laid my literature down on a table with the "Who Is Jehovah" tract in clear view of everyone, and waited on line.

Afterwards when I turned around, the one who didn't like me had, it seemed, turned into stone. She was just staring down at that tract, not moving, I had to say "excuse me" more than once.

Anyway, before or after the tract thing she called me into her office to tell me that if I don't accept whatever job is offered, my benefits will either be reduced or eliminated. Now I was was willing to accept something that would cause me to change one of my mid meetings around (book study as we used to know it), but my goodness! What she was talking about would leave no meetings to change! But knowing those people, it made no sense to argue with them. So I simply said to her "ok." She couldn't believe I wasn't vgoing to argue! But I said to her inside of me this:

"Lady, you can't touch me unless my God Jehovah let you. But even if he does,

I'm still not taking a job that will cause me to miss my meetings."

Want to know what happened to her? She was fired because it was found she lied on her resume!!

Don't mess with Jehovah's people! Anyone touching us is like touching his eyeball! He said it.

To me it was a miracle :lol: , I wasn’t going to spend hours doing depositions, meeting with lawyers etc.

In reality it was just 'time and circumstance.'  :) 

I guess the difference here is that the original poster's comment was specifically related to the advancement of the Kingdom.  In your case, it wasn't.  Sometimes Jehovah does intervene in matters like this.  We've had too many first-hand reports for some of these to be "time and unforseen circumstances."  At the very least, it wasn't unforseen if Jehovah saw it.

On the other hand, your "miracle" can't completely be discounted, either.  Obviously Jehovah's spirit was involved in some way.  His spirit was upon the convention.  You are a servant of Jehovah and so was this man's wife.  Jehovah's spirit guides you and this man's wife in your daily conduct.  Maybe it was coincidence but, had you not been living up to your Christian values, had his wife not, or if you hadn't attended that very convention, maybe the man would not have dropped the suit.

There is a talk a Branch representative gave a few years ago that I heard. The entire talk was nothing but "coincidence" after "coincidence" after "coincidence" where something happened that worked out for the advancement of the Kingdom.  Not just in a brother's favor, but in Jehovah's favor.  If the Branch dismissed all of these claims as "coincidence," they wouldn't be included in talks, would they?

We had a topic on this subject here:  http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/2820-does-jehovah-know-what-is-going-on/ You may enjoy reading it.

My Uncle had a tape when he was living in Calgary of a brother that was either a CO or a DO at the time. He was well established in the Organization.  He was involved in the story about the Guards that stopped a truck and threatened to shoot the brothers that were driving it. He said the Men from the army (This was in Egypt) found literature and pull the Brothers out of the truck and were going to shoot them. They sprayed the bullets at the brothers but not one hit the Brothers. The bullets bounced off rocks and the steel frame on the truck and killed the 4 men from the army. Brothers got back in the truck and kept going. I can't remember the Brothers name though. He might. I will ask him and let you know who it was.

In his talk he mentions experience after experience of things that happened. Last time I heard it I was man maybe 14 or so. Remembering that was stretching the memory banks let me tell ya. I did make an impression in me though that Jehovah was still doing things just like he did for the apostles. Only it doesn't get recorded in a book for us all to read.

Edited by Greg Dent

Ok I have more details now. 

The brother was Br LInk. This story was from the 70's and he was in the Sudan. He was involved with smuggling a printing machine into the Sudan and had several close calls but was caught and beaten quite a few time. The story about the truck was wrong. Idi Amin's (Not sure how to spell it) men had been ordered to take him out and shoot him dead. They made him dig his own grave. All the while he was praying and said "Jehovah you have been with me through so many things. I guess your going to help me dig my grave."

The whole time he was digging and praying the men were drinking wine and got drunk from it. They ordered him to stop digging that was enough. He turned around and the one man who was in charge shot at him and staggered. The bullet hit a rock and hit one of the other men in the leg. Everyone got scared and went to take the guy that got shot to get medical help. A few seconds later one of the brothers drove by and saw him and took him back into town. 

Another time he was caught by the military for something. The guards were ordered to take him out and shoot him. Instead the beat the living hell out of this poor brother. Left him for dead thinking the animals from the desert would eat his body. The guards left and not a minute later a couple brothers drove by and saw him. They said "What are you doing out here all alone? You could have been killed by wild animals." Took him back into town to get medial help and housed him.

He was in good company with the Apostle Paul WOW.

One other time he was going through an airport and had a copy machine with him. Not sure of the type but it was small enough to carry by himself. Came to the exray and he thought oh man they are going to see it and the gig will be up. Just as it hit the scanner the attendant was called away for something. The guy at the other end didn't see it happen and waved him through.  No one saw any of what he was carrying. Jehovah can work on anyone or anything in behalf of his people or organization. Especially if his people are working hard for his organization. 

Ok I have more details now. 

The story about the truck was wrong. Idi Amin's (Not sure how to spell it) men had been ordered to take him out and shoot him dead. 

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/1450-forum-membership-policy-plus-discussion-and-qa/

Forum Policy

F. Unverified Experiences & Sensational Stories

The October 1999 Our Kingdom Ministry says:

“What if the experience you pass on is not accurate? Would this not be sharing in perpetuating an untruth?” - (Proverbs. 12:19; 21:28; 30:8; Colossians 3:9)

Be mindful of sensational stories or experiences that you cannot verify. This becomes a problem from time to time. It’s a chore for moderators to read extremely long ones, and we will point out what we feel is ridiculously sensational and unrealistic and publicly state why we find it to difficult to believe some facet of this incredulous story. Not to ridicule you, but to protect the gullible for believing everything he or she reads. If the story or experience is legitimate, OR truly encouraging yet not overly farfetched, we’ll probably let it go. Just remember this is not the purpose of the forum.

Generally speaking, links to experiences about our brothers should not be posted unless they are first-hand accounts and we personally know the writer or we can testify to the veracity of the account/writer.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

It is verified. It was a tape direct from the convention that the experience was spoken at. Like I said when I heard it it was when I was 14 yo. Forgive me for my 47 yo brain forgetting some of the details. I confirmed it on the phone with my uncle. 

The fact that it was heard on an assembly program does not make it absolutely true.

A few years ago the Jeopardy experience was given on several Assembly programs. The supposed topic "The Best Bible." The answer supposedly. Was "What is The New Wold Tranlation."

This never happened, though many took it home and told others. It was always "I know the Brother that saw it on Jeoprady."

I know of one DO that approached a brother that was known to do tape recordings of the program. He just wanted to review his comments which were thought to be rather extreme. The tape was returned damaged, could not be played!

How do I know? II heard it from a brother who absolutely knew it was true because he knew the DO and was confident it was true.

I fell for the one by our CO a few years back about the little boy, the baby kitten and the Catholic Priest. The boy told the Priest it was Catholic, so the priest brought the Archbishop and this time it was JW. Why, because he's got his eyes open now.

OK, that was easy to see through but it was told as a true story by the CO in the KH.

I have heard the same story a number of different ways but the best is rather than being Catholic it was Apostate JW and cole black lost little kitten and then it become a white JW kitten that saw the light of day and returned to its mother.

First hand experiences are the best!

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25