JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Science fiction

I asked my friend how the science can make a time machine... She says that they were trying to make solid into gas. And I said to myself, okay it's alright! I was just stupid!

Science cannot make a time machine.  The idea is fun for stories, but you have to suspend your disbelief for a while.  

Science cannot make a time machine.  The idea is fun for stories, but you have to suspend your disbelief for a while.  

It does make for interesting stories.  Suspending disbelief is necessary to make an interesting story in a lot of things.  I have trouble suspending disbelief that some people could be as stupid as some of these comedy movies.  I have always had a tendency to believe that people can have more knowledge if they just work on it.  I cannot watch movies like Dumb and Dumber.

Saw the Martian in the theater we really enjoyed it. I I may rent antman. It looked dumb to me.

I did not watched Antman because it looked dumb, but then I want to watch it just because it is Marvel

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Tortuga said:

Same here. I also like Firefly for the short time it was on.

Ron Glass has died....:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I was a huge science fiction fan, in fact I preferred reading a book to watching a movie most of the time. Watching the Star Wars / Star Trek Movies was a roller coast ride in movie making and you really felt like you were there, but as stated in a previous post, themes got darker and questionable, entertainment is evaluated for it's shock value / dollar generation properties these days. Once computer generated movies became the standard, movie dynamics and scripting changed as well. Violent & sexualised science fiction, superheros with huge personality flaws, but because they're saving the human race are OK and to be admired , bleak future scenarios with a flawed saviour who hopefully leads the quirky survivors to a new and better future. 

I've lost my taste for most movies and TV shows over the last decade, although there are some gems if you look hard enough. Brothers and sisters, Jehovah has given us the most entertaining book on the planet. You want to read about lust, murder, betrayal it's all there in 1st & 2nd Samuel and 1st & 2nd Kings. Time & dimensional travel, Ezekiel, Daniel and Revelation, the list is endless. There is a saying, "Truth is stranger than fiction". Science fiction? Brothers and sisters we go door to door preaching God's Kingdom because this world is ruled by an invisible intelligence and his followers, hellbent (pardon the pun) on destroying the human race and Jehovah is going to fix that.  After the bible everything is pretty second rate. 

22 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Ron Glass has died....:(

Well, for those that say celebrity death come in three's - we have to add Florence Henderson and Robert Vaughn to the list

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2015 at 6:32 PM, Shawnster said:

Currently watching Killjoys and Dark Matter.  Rewatching TNG.  Dr. Who is on hiatus but should be starting up soon.  I just finished rewatching Space 1999 and I'm currently working through UFO.  I started 12 Monkeys but I guess I'm just no that into it.  I did enjoy the movie.

I live eat and breath Star Trek and Star Wars.  Loved Firefly.  Really enjoyed NuBSG.  I have Classic BSG and Buck Rogers on DVD.  I also love and own Farscape.  

I remembered your post and finally started watching 'Dark Matter' and I like it.  I watched 12 episodes so far and I am sorta hooked.  It has been a long time since I watched either 'Space 1999' or 'UFO' but I might just see if I can find them somewhere.  I also liked the '12 Monkeys' movie but never got into the series. I always loved Farscape.  Science Fiction is my thing but my wife will not watch any of it.

2 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Glass died? I am shattered!

sorry ! Could not help myself. 

I'd throw the Book at you if I could...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D