JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Didn't stand during the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3280 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The American Humanist Association, an atheist group, has sent a letter of complaint to Pennsylvania's Carlisle Area School District after a school nurse at Wilson Middle School refused to treat a middle school student who didn't stand during the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%E2%80%9Coverzealous-dangerous-patriotism%E2%80%9D-school-nurse-refused-to-treat-student-who-didn%E2%80%99t-stand-for-pledge-of-allegiance/ar-AAaXpIv

Interesting, citing Virginia State Bd. of Educ. v. Barnette, provides a witness, probably not something an atheist wasn't intending.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/atheists-slam-school-nurse-for-refusing-to-treat-student-who-wont-stand-for-pledge-of-allegiance/

A school nurse at Wilson Middle School refused to treat a middle school student who didn't stand during the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. No information was given for the reason this student wouldn't stand for the pledge. I know we would stand respectfully but not recite the pledge nor put our hand over our heart.

http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.html?key=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

My parents taught me to stand out of respect also. But upon my return a few years ago, an elder told me that we shouldnt take any action for this. If we are already standing we should remain standing. But if we are sitting, we shouldnt rise. Seemed to me like that would make me a target... so im always away from seats at games n ceremonies until its over. Im not researching it right now, but i seem to remember him pointing me to some information. Does this sound right? and ive recently been dealing w my 4yo and his school. He tells me everyday he "didnt do the flag" and he "sat at his desk" when the other kids did it. But grandma "tells him too"....

Edited by User_123

When I was in kindergarden, I remember we had to stand for the pledge of allegence and then put our hand over our heart and say the pledge. My mother said it was alright to stand (to show respect) but I never put my hand over my heart or said the pledge. My teacher treated me badly for this and I was only 6! I remember telling my mother that my teacher was chastising me in front of the whole class for not putting my hand on my heart or reciting the pledge and I remember walking back to the school with her one afternoon. After that, the teacher never chastised me again for not putting my hand on my heart or saying the pledge. The first of many tests that anyone enrolled in public school would endure!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

It depends on what they say prior to asking for them to stand for the pledge satan has gotten tricky some sayor stand to support the nation or military, then you would want to stay seated...the last time I went to a amusement park they asked for everyone to stand in support of our military and their allies worldwide first, so our family did not stand. It is a conscience thing I guess. Times are definitely trying these days. I hope the school learns from this although as a parent I would probably be at the school every day for a long time sporadically just pop in to check on my child's treatment and have the other kids parents know about it also so they could keep me updated when I was not there.

My parents taught me to stand out of respect also. But upon my return a few years ago, an elder told me that we shouldnt take any action for this. If we are already standing we should remain standing. But if we are sitting, we shouldnt rise. Seemed to me like that would make me a target... so im always away from seats at games n ceremonies until its over. Im not researching it right now, but i seem to remember him pointing me to some information. Does this sound right? and ive recently been dealing w my 4yo and his school. He tells me everyday he "didnt do the flag" and he "sat at his desk" when the other kids did it. But grandma "tells him too"....

Some confusion here. Either on the part of the elder, or a misunderstanding of what he said.

Flag salute: standing OK. No hand over the heart, no pledge.

National anthem; if standing OK to remain standing; if sitting, standing for the anthem is inappropriate. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Some confusion here. Either on the part of the elder, or a misunderstanding of what he said.

Flag salute: standing OK. No hand over the heart, no pledge.

National anthem; if standing OK to remain standing; if sitting, standing for the anthem is inappropriate.

Ahhh, that makes more sense now. Perhaps i misunderstood him. I really considered both things to be one and the same.
Edited by User_123

• 2 weeks later...

We could also look at the pictures in the literature which showed the three Hebrews standing before the idol, but everyone else was bowing down.  Daniel 3:3,10 showed that everyone stood before it, but the Hebrews were accused because they did not bow down and worship the idol.  The act of worship was bowing down and worshiping which they did not do, but being present and standing before it in obedience to the call from the king was allowable for the Hebrews.

I think there is a picture in the Bible Stories book.

Sorta unrelated, but I was talking w a brother the other day about "ignorance", and how it is no excuse. So to what extent is this true? Our example was of people celebrating holidays. But lets say in my ignorance I was confused and believed it was appropriate and OK to stand for the anthem. Am I guilty of false worship? I mean ignorance is no excuse right? Glad I figured this flag/anthem business out!

Since our Heavenly Father has designated Jesus as the judge of that sort of thing - I am sure he knows if something was done out of fear of man or ignorance and can make the right call - every time.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....