JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I am rereading Dune. It has a totally different feel for me - 30 years later.

I still love this quote:

"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Now that I am over half way through, I started to watch the movie. I waved at Jean Luc Picard. I forgot the actor who played him was in it. I remembered Sting.

Anyway, it is interesting to see these sci-fi shows from the 70s - those clothes. :lol2: and "special" effects. It is sad how few movies accurately portray the books they are from. This one does ok'ish. Especially if I picture them performing on roller skates. :)

Well, the spice MUST flow.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I read "Dune", really enjoyed it, Worm travel at it's best.  :)

Too many years passed before I saw the movie, gave up on it half way through.

I liked reading "The Lord of Rings", read it twice, thought the movie was well done.

Started to watch it recently and except for the special effects found it boring.  :mellow:

Bored by "Interstellar", "Gravity" was so-so. Liked "Inception", had to watch it twice to figure it out.

My exciting reading right now is "Winston S. Churchill" Vols. 1-8. half way through Vol. 1.

Probably be bored by the time I get to Vol. 8  B)

Use to like chocolate, now plain vanilla. :(

Old age isn't all it is cracked up to be. Beats the alternative.  :D   

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I read the Dune series many years ago, when I was a teenager, and I was absolutely impressed by it. I have the impression that I would understand it very differently now.

I have learned by experience that many books that made a deep impression in my young mind are better left alone. A second reading usually ruins them. :(

This has actually been pretty goo. It seems to hold up with the test of time - a true classic.

I felt the same about Asimov's "Foundation" series.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Read Dune at least 3 times.  Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor 2 times.  Heretics and Chapterhouse once.  

I was reading  God Emperor for a book report in 7th or 8th grade.  Didn't get the book finished in time for the report.  I was close.  So, I wrote the report and finished it on a cliffhanger.  I got to the point where i was at in the book and said in my report "If you want to know how it ends, you'll have to read the book."  I got a good grade!  LOL

Hated the Lynch movie.  Terrible.  Loved the SciFi Channel miniseries.  Thought they did a great job and only suffered due to a limited budget.

I have so many unread books on my bookshelf that is not funny ...  scanning .....scanning ...yep Dune detected ...  Foundation detected .....  I think I will give a go ! :thumbsup:

What is the Foundation all about ?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I have so many unread books on my bookshelf that is not funny ...  scanning .....scanning ...yep Dune detected ...  Foundation detected .....  I think I will give a go ! :thumbsup:

What is the Foundation all about ?

Foundation is a fascinating series, considered by many the best scifi series ever. It's inspired on the history of the Roman empire.

Humankind is spread throughout the galaxy and governed by the Galactic Empire. There is a mathematician, Hari Seldon, that develops the science of psycohistory, which allows to calculate the future (or rather foresee several possible futures). His calculations show clearly that the Empire is doomed to fall and that a dark age will follow that will last many tens of thousands of years. To shorten that dark period as much as possible he establishes "The Foundation", a colony in a distant planet made up of the best minds of the galaxy: the top scientists and all their knowledge and technologies. They are to preserve and spread civilization.

As centuries go by the Foundation meets several challenges. First the Empire sees them as a threat, then the Empire falls and there is chaos... At regular intervals they receive recorded messages by Hari Seldon, its founder, that help them take the best choices.

The first three books (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation) are the classical ones and they're wonderful. Several sequels and prequels were written afterward that may be interesting but IMO are not to the height of the first ones. This is a must read for anyone interested in science fiction.

Foundation is a fascinating series, considered by many the best scifi series ever. It's inspired on the history of the Roman empire.

Humankind is spread throughout the galaxy and governed by the Galactic Empire. There is a mathematician, Hari Seldon, that develops the science of psycohistory, which allows to calculate the future (or rather foresee several possible futures). His calculations show clearly that the Empire is doomed to fall and that a dark age will follow that will last many tens of thousands of years. To shorten that dark period as much as possible he establishes "The Foundation", a colony in a distant planet made up of the best minds of the galaxy: the top scientists and all their knowledge and technologies. They are to preserve and spread civilization.

As centuries go by the Foundation meets several challenges. First the Empire sees them as a threat, then the Empire falls and there is chaos... At regular intervals they receive recorded messages by Hari Seldon, its founder, that help them take the best choices.

The first three books (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation) are the classical ones and they're wonderful. Several sequels and prequels were written afterward that may be interesting but IMO are not to the height of the first ones. This is a must read for anyone interested in science fiction.

Thank you Carlos ! Very appreciated ... You sold me on it ha ha ! Sounds great ... I think I will pick up reading the books again .. There is less and less good movies to watch ... Thanks again !

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Thank you Carlos ! Very appreciated ... You sold me on it ha ha ! Sounds great ... I think I will pick up reading the books again .. There is less and less good movies to watch ... Thanks again !

Now that you say it, it's strange that nobody ever made a movie of the Foundation.

The good thing with Asimov's books is that you know there will be no sex scenes, no extreme violence, and no supernatural events at all. Maybe that's the reason why they didn't make a movie, it would be a flop.

The three prequel books to the Foundation series are very good, too.  This is in stark contrast the prequel books written for the Dune series.  I refuse to read those as I find Kevin J. Anderson to be a terrible author who can't create anything new.  

I haven't read them, but I read somewhere that they connect the Robots series with the Foundation series. In the last book of the saga there even appears Daneel Olivaw (the robot from Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun, both great novels!) with some surprising revelations.

I often think that if Isaac Asimov had been a little humbler he would have realized there has to be a Creator. After all, despite his atheism he was a practicing Humanist. He believed there is something good inside people and tried to care after others. It would have been great if that exceptional mind had been at the service of the Almighty God. Maybe in the resurrection. :)

I haven't read them, but I read somewhere that they connect the Robots series with the Foundation series. In the last book of the saga there even appears Daneel Olivaw (the robot from Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun, both great novels!) with some surprising revelations.

Yes it does.  Very well, too.  Of course, I've not read the Robots series.

Yes it does.  Very well, too.  Of course, I've not read the Robots series.

I haven't read the complete series, but those two were my favorite Asimov's novels together with The End of Eternity. Until I read the Foundation series I mean.

I was also fascinated by The Gods Themselves when I read it as a teenager, but I reread it last year and it was not the same. OK but not great.

I read "Dune", really enjoyed it, Worm travel at it's best.  :)

I liked reading "The Lord of Rings", read it twice, thought the movie was well done.

Started to watch it recently and except for the special effects found it boring.  :mellow:

I've been wanting to read Dune for the longest time, but every time I start it, it seems pretty boring.  Of course, I've only read the first 3 pages.   :lol:

I, too, loved Lord of the Rings when I was a kid.  When the movies came out, I was SO tempted to see them, but I remembered the rather heavy spiritism in it (crystal balls, spells, etc.), and decided not to.  I know, I know, to each their own.  It just doesn't sit well with me, so I skipped them.

Read Dune at least 3 times.  Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor 2 times.  Heretics and Chapterhouse once.  

I was reading  God Emperor for a book report in 7th or 8th grade.  Didn't get the book finished in time for the report.  I was close.  So, I wrote the report and finished it on a cliffhanger.  I got to the point where i was at in the book and said in my report "If you want to know how it ends, you'll have to read the book."  I got a good grade!  LOL

Hated the Lynch movie.  Terrible.  Loved the SciFi Channel miniseries.  Thought they did a great job and only suffered due to a limited budget.

Is the SciFi channel miniseries based more on the book, or the movies?

I'm totally interested!  I'm going to read these for sure.

The three prequel books to the Foundation series are very good, too.  This is in stark contrast the prequel books written for the Dune series.  I refuse to read those as I find Kevin J. Anderson to be a terrible author who can't create anything new.  

Will the experience be better if I read the Foundation prequels before the actual books, or wait until after?  I don't want to be spoiled for the main books, but I do like to read in chronological order if possible.

Edited by hansolo8004

I've been wanting to read Dune for the longest time, but every time I start it, it seems pretty boring.  Of course, I've only read the first 3 pages.   :lol:

I, too, loved Lord of the Rings when I was a kid.  When the movies came out, I was SO tempted to see them, but I remembered the rather heavy spiritism in it (crystal balls, spells, etc.), and decided not to.  I know, I know, to each their own.  It just doesn't sit well with me, so I skipped them.

Is the SciFi channel miniseries based more on the book, or the movies?

I'm totally interested!  I'm going to read these for sure.

Will the experience be better if I read the Foundation prequels before the actual books, or wait until after?  I don't want to be spoiled for the main books, but I do like to read in chronological order if possible.

Actually, I think you will enjoy it best starting with "Foundation" and then read the next book in the series, etc - FoundationFoundation and EmpireSecond Foundation Foundation's Edge, and lastly Foundation and Earth

THEN go back and read the prequels  Prelude to FoundationForward the Foundation . I enjoyed it best that way and then as things were talked about in the prequel - I thought to the original series and said - AHH. This let me be surprised both ways. If I read the prequel first - I don't think the original series would have been as interesting.

EDIT - as a side note - that is also how Asimov wrote them - the primary series first - then the prequels after.

As to Dune - it has been pretty good reading. I never saw the miniseries, but I have seen the movie - and it is in NO way as good as the book.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

I'll have to "check out a copy" from my "local library"  :wink: and give it a watch.

I see 3 parts about 1.5 hours each  :eek:

That is going to have to wait for a Dune marathon. Then I might as well watch "Children of Dune" at the same time. 

Soon .....

Jerry, you have a huge influence in me: I have followed your example and have begun rereading Dune. :lol: This time I am reading the English original, not a translation.

What do you think of the language it uses? I understand most of it except some difficult words now and then (cupidity, surcease...), but it has a lot of constructions that sound weird to me, for example:

- Have you ever seen the Fremen?

- Like as not I have seen them. There's little to tell them from...

Do some characters speak in old-fashioned style, or do I simply have a lot of English to learn yet? :lol: (The answer can be both.) Another possiblity is that I am reading from a defective ebook with the OCR typos uncorrected. :) 

The language is just older English, but the terms used in the book sound Arabic to me.

EDIT: which of course prompted me to do a search and what do I find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Dune_terminology

Due to the similarities between some of Herbert's terms and ideas and actual words and concepts in the Arabic language — as well as the series' "Islamic undertones" and themes — a Middle Eastern influence on Herbert's works has been noted repeatedly.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

The language is just older English, but the terms used in the book sound Arabic to me.

EDIT: which of course prompted me to do a search and what do I find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Dune_terminology

Kull wahad! :lol:

Yes, I knew that. Some interpret the book as a veiled reference to the struggles to control Middle East oil wells (oil = melange; sandworms = :unsure: ).

I remember reading somewhere that, since Westerners usually relate the image of a desert with the Arabs and the Sahara, Frank Herbert decided to use some Arab words.

Edited by cvillarrubia

Hated the Lynch movie. Terrible. Loved the SciFi Channel miniseries. Thought they did a great job and only suffered due to a limited budget.

Just finished watching the Lynch produced movie :nope: what a disjointed mess of a movie!

I am in the process of "borrowing" :wink: the sci-fi 3 parter from a few of my closest friends. :)

Anything has to be better than what I just saw. The best way to describe it is - they jumped over things from the book, so they could describe in detail the things that aren't. My favorite - not in the book detail - watching them fold space. :lol1: it looked like the "navigator" had terrible diarrhea. :lol2:

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

• 2 weeks later...