JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A dog's life

Took my small dog to the vet today. Good news: She has lost a little weight. We both need to lose more; it has been the winter of our discontent. Got the Seresto flea collar (by Bayer)= 70 bucks, but supposed to last for 8 months. I'm thinking, 'I'm set for the flea season.'  She has been shaking for nearly eight hours, barely ate, has glazed eyes, and hid in the bathroom on a warm fuzzy bath mat. She did not want to interact with me. I read the reviews, and many dogs have had similar situations, including seizures and vision problems. She is half chihuahua, and a number of the reviewers mentioned chihuahuas specifically.  So I got the collar off her. I usually read all reviews before using any products, but I was at the vets, and it seemed like a knowledgeable referral on her part, and she mentioned it would be more economical in the long run compared to topical applications. Tomorrow, I shall buy a topical at Walmart. Does anyone have any success with specific brands, especially on small dogs prone to allergic reactions? Heavy sigh, YS pauline

That's surprising she had a reaction to the Seresto. That's a really good product, and my chihuahua uses it. Seresto can even work up to a year. But I also know chihuahuas mainly have the negative reaction. Same breed that are allergic to the rabies shot. Do not use frontline because fleas have built an immunity to it.

Other brand I recommend:

Adams

Advantix

Sentry (All Natural)

Zodiac (for flea baths)

My store recently put out a new flea and tick product, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I'll have to get back to you on that.

~Van

Hi Sister Pauline,

Glad your dog is doing good, losing some weight. :)

I wanted to make a suggestion to you.

I do not know much about dog products, but I know some one who could help you!

Copy this Post of yours and send it as a PM to

"Sister Taylor" (Tcvancoops).

She loves animals and is very knowledgeable, she is a "Certified Veterinary Assistant"

I suggested sending her a PM just in case she does not happen to see this Topic.

I sometimes miss topics and I visit here quite often.

I hope this is helpful for you.

(Edit)

Never Mind!

Sister Taylor saw your Post, she is fast! :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Hi Sister Pauline,

Glad your dog is doing good, losing some weight. :)

I wanted to make a suggestion to you.

I do not know much about dog products, but I know some one who could help you!

Copy this Post of yours and send it as a PM to

"Sister Taylor" (Tcvancoops).

She loves animals and is very knowledgeable, she is a "Certified Veterinary Assistant"

I suggested sending her a PM just in case she does not happen to see this Topic.

I sometimes miss topics and I visit here quite often.

I hope this is helpful for you.

You're a little late on that advice. Lol. Thanks for the shoutout though

~Van

Hi Pauline, I raise toy poodles and we live in Oklahoma where the ticks are coming out. I have used all the products for flea and ticks in the past with so-so success. I have also have had some of my toys have reactions to different brands and of course not each poodle to the same brand. lol

I have researched this and came up with my own concoction that seems to be working and doesn't have side affects. 

I boil citrus fruit peelings(grapefruit, lemon, orange), use the juice and then I add a little bit of real turpentine(pine oil)1-2Tbsp.,  then a few drops of oregano oil and some vinegar. 

I usually put in some leave on hair conditioner that I have to it, so when I brush out my poodles or after bath, I spray their feet really good then I mist it into their hair and brush it in. 

So far no ticks and no fleas this season and best of all no reactions. Just thought I would share. 

Took my small dog to the vet today. Good news: She has lost a little weight. We both need to lose more; it has been the winter of our discontent. Got the Seresto flea collar (by Bayer)= 70 bucks, but supposed to last for 8 months. I'm thinking, 'I'm set for the flea season.'  She has been shaking for nearly eight hours, barely ate, has glazed eyes, and hid in the bathroom on a warm fuzzy bath mat. She did not want to interact with me. I read the reviews, and many dogs have had similar situations, including seizures and vision problems. She is half chihuahua, and a number of the reviewers mentioned chihuahuas specifically.  So I got the collar off her. I usually read all reviews before using any products, but I was at the vets, and it seemed like a knowledgeable referral on her part, and she mentioned it would be more economical in the long run compared to topical applications. Tomorrow, I shall buy a topical at Walmart. Does anyone have any success with specific brands, especially on small dogs prone to allergic reactions? Heavy sigh, YS pauline

If you haven't already done so, I would call your vet's office asap and let them know how she has been acting (or reacting). :(

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

You know, I just thought of something else. Back in the 90's (yes, the 90's), a new company appeared on the scene, called Fleabusters. I had them come in and treat my house with a product (all natural and safe enough for a baby to crawl on after it's put down) to kill the fleas. I lived in that house for nearly 10 more years and never saw another flea, and never had to buy flea collars, medications, etc. I just did a web search, and they are still around. You might see if they are anywhere near you. 

http://www.fleabusters.com/

You can also buy the powder yourself and do the application, but when they came, they really ground it into the carpet with something resembling a floor polisher.  Don't worry.  The carpet was not in the least bit hurt!  ;)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I used to use a product called 'Malawash'... or 'Malathion Rinse'...

Recommended by a vet, just put some on a cottonwool ball and wipe it four times along the length of the dog's body.

But that's a long time ago. It worked then, maybe there are new fleas now?