JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

External data storage, JW Library, Windows 8.1

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3281 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I am using a Windows tablet with windows 8.1 running. I have installed JW Library but there is limited space to store downloaded video's on the Tablet. I also have a 64 GB SD card for extra data storage.

What I'm wondering is can I store the downloaded files on the SD Card and still play them from within the JW Library app? When you want to install the app it asks permission to use external storage, so I guess it means it should be possible, or is this a future option?

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Edited title to be more specific. Moved to the public interest JW forum.

I am using a Windows tablet with windows 8.1 running. I have installed JW Library but there is limited space to store downloaded video's on the Tablet. I also have a 64 GB SD card for extra data storage.

What I'm wondering is can I store the downloaded files on the SD Card and still play them from within the JW Library app? When you want to install the app it asks permission to use external storage, so I guess it means it should be possible, or is this a future option?

http://jwtalk.net/forums/index.php?/topic/16287-New-update-for-JW-Library-app

Check out post #368 and the discussion that follows afterwards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Here is post 368 specifically....

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/16287-new-update-for-jw-library-app/?p=277048

However I don't see anything useful. I have a Windows 8.1 tablet/pc also, a Microsoft Surface 3. I'll look into this a little later.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Open "This PC"

Right Click on Videos, and select Properties

Click on Location Tab

Click Move, and select a folder where you want the videos eg D:\Videos.

This will now be your videos folder.  You can choose to move any files you have already there to the new location.

Open JW Library app, download a video, and it will download to a folder JWLibrary within your new location. ie your SD Card.

If you have already download videos with JW Library, you may want to delete them first, then re-download after you have changed your video folder location.

Edited by Jonathan77

on windows phone 8.1, if you plan to have a new micro-sd, the apps and downloads can go to this extended memory too.

If you have already jw.lib installed on the main memory, delete it and install it again : it will be located on the micro-sd.

Last but not least, prefer a micro-sd memory class 10 or upper.

This is perfect!!!! That's why I like windows. If you want, you can adjust almost everything.

You don't have to remove the video's you already downloaded. If you change the destination folder, it will ask if you want to move the downloaded video's from JW Library to that folder. Simply say Yes. Although I do not know if the App will find them there. If not, you need to re-download the video's.

Thanks.

Edited by molnarj

Just a side note. Although many tablets say they can handle up to 32Gb or 64Gb sd/micro sd cards they maybe able to handle up to 128 GB cards.In android the sd/micro sd cards are formatted with exFat, however if you format the cards with fat 32, you should be able to get double the size.

I know it worked on my old Dell pda too.

Windows tablets running win 8,1 maybe able to format cards in NTFS to get higher amounts of storage. Anyone experimented yet?

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I remember that decades ago I was able to double my storage space by using 2 different windows programs. In DOS 5.0 I would open dosshell and save files there. I would also open windows and save files there. When adding the total disc space used it would be more than what the disc was. Sounds kind of similar.

I'm not sure if partitioning cards is recommended, but that could be another way of increasing total storage. Device may not read partitions.

Will let someone else experiment. B)

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

NTFS : You Can do it... on my Asus vivotab note 8, my 64GB micro-sd is formatted on NTFS ^_^

And you can partition it...

I just offer a HP stream 7 to my sister who "work" on a foreign country. On the 64GB class 10 micro-sd, I put the CD-ROM of WLibrary and all the videos available on jw.org. Only 15gb used and the 32gb of the main memory are able to run more quickly the jw.library and jw bible reader for w8. Good stuff for less than 110€ 

Edited by peper-eliot

If an admin could merge... ^_^

[edit] you can partition it... but windows 8 only read the first partition on removable memory (USB, micro-sd). That's why the partitioning option is not available on the Ms tools to manage hard drives... no need. But others tools can do the job if you want to play :D

for highlighting, as it's still a pending feature, meanwhile you can use a tissue ans a whiteboard marker on your screen :D

Its getting it to scroll with the text that's hard. :)

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)