JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WSJ-Why the future of religion is bleak

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3258 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

There is an article in the Wall Street Journal (reader discretion advised) that says Christianity is declining. The writer has some interesting statistics and lousy logic. The good news is that he thinks more people are leaving Babylon.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-future-of-religion-is-bleak-1430104785

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

That's a frustrating article.

He's combining all religions into one description. Using Jehovah's name:  "Hardly anybody today believes in—or would want to believe in—the wrathful, Old Testament Jehovah, for instance. A God who commands our love is a nasty piece of work by today’s perspectives, and has been replaced, over the centuries, by ever-less-anthropomorphic (but more “loving,” more “forgiving”) addressees of our prayers. (Isn't it curious how the obsolete term “God-fearing” is still used in some quarters as a commendation?) God has no ears, but may “listen” to our prayers, and “works in mysterious ways,” which is a face-saving way of acknowledging that He doesn't answer them at all."

Then he speaks about failure of Intercessory Prayer in a well-controlled clinical trial. Does anyone think Jehovah will 'perform' in a controlled-by-man study? And perform for someone who doesn't know Him? 

​This is a ridiculous article put together by scientists who think they can put Jehovah, and us who believe in him, in a box so as to 'study' the effects of faith, but yet they discount faith because there's nothing to see so as to believe!

And round and round we go.....I feel bad for people who read this and actually give it credibility. They're being fooled. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Sister Cheryl, I agree, it is a lousy article and I hesitated posting the link because there is no value in sharing negative things but I think he was saying that people are fed up with organized religion and I could agree to that. He is an idiot for lumping all religions into one pile and using Jehovah's name but he is turning on the great harlot and I think we will see a lot more articles like this.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I moved this topic to "In the News" since it is not news about JW's.

The article is pretty lame. He misrepresents the bible, incorrectly answers that religion is all about controlling people, and yet force-feeds his assertion that all religion is make-believe. Ironically, the increase in 'no religious affiliation' was prophesied 2000 years ago in Revelation. Babylon the Great's waters are drying up in this time of the end.

Contrast this to another article that was posted today about how we are breaking membership records again and again as we continue to increase. This was also prophesied, in that Jehovah would speed things up in this time.

Everything is going according to plan.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Contrast this to another article that was posted today about how we are breaking membership records again and again as we continue to increase. This was also prophesied, in that Jehovah would speed things up in this time.

Is this article available online?  If so do you have a link please?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Two scriptures as a response to the article :

John 17:23 "so that the world may know that you sent me and that you loved them just as you loved me."

Ezekiel 13:21-23 "I will rip away your veils and rescue my people out of your hand, and they will no longer be something for you to catch in the hunt; and you will have to know that I am Jehovah. For you have disheartened the righteous one with your falsehood when I was not causing him distress, and you have strengthened the hands of the wicked one, so that he does not turn back from his bad way and stay alive. Therefore, you women will no longer see false visions and practice divination and I will rescue my people from your hand, and you will have to know that I am Jehovah.’”

We are just sitting back while they blab away, knowing what is to be their fate.