JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Prince To Play 'Rally 4 Peace' Concert in Baltimore

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2887 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Prince has announced a surprise concert in Baltimore Sunday at the Royal Farms Arena.

"In a Spirit of Healing"  the event is meant to be a catalyst for pause and reflection following the outpouring of violence that has gripped Baltimore and areas throughout the U.S.

"As a tribute to Freddie Gray, attendees are invited to wear something gray in tribute to all those recently lost in the violence." NY Times

Was it Prince who said to wear something 'grey' or the promoters or news reporter?

I wouldn't attend even if I could. Not a fan of Prince's music :nope:(td)

Don't know...I guess the concert will take place this Sunday on Mothers day and the proceeds will be given to local charities. 

Hmmm...Does this make the Brother formerly known as 'Prince', now currently known as 'Prince',  the 'Prince of Peace' ?  ^_^

:uhhuh: Ross...the purveyor of really BAD puns. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I know that at my recent circuit assembly, we were all instructed to be peaceable with all men, but getting involved with this kind of incident (s) makes it hard for me to understand being separate from the world.   The intent is a kind gesture, but I just don't get it.   Maybe someone else in here does. 

Was it Prince who said to wear something 'grey' or the promoters or news reporter?

I wouldn't attend even if I could. Not a fan of Prince's music :nope:(td)

It may have been Prince who suggested it.  I found this article:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/prince-headline-rally-4-peace-baltimore

"The concert, which will reportedly feature a number of yet-to-be-revealed guest stars, is scheduled to be held at the Royal Farms Arena. Attendees will be encouraged to wear gray as a tribute to the victims of violence everywhere. Prince staged a similarly themed show (entitled, “DANCE RALLY 4 PEACE”) this past weekend at his Paisley Park recording studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota.  According to E!’s Lindsay Good, Prince told last weekend’s audience “RIP to those lost,” and thanked concertgoers for wearing gray. At the end of the show he reportedly led fans in a chant of “Baltimore … peace for ever more.”

According to the NY Times, it's a press statement from the promoters. Though since musicians rarely send out their own press releases or directly speak to the media, we don't who originally had the idea.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/prince-to-play-rally-4-peace-concert-in-baltimore/

“In a spirit of healing, the event is meant to be a catalyst for pause and reflection following the outpouring of violence that has gripped Baltimore and areas throughout the U.S.,” Live Nation, the concert promoter, said in a statement. “As a symbolic message of our shared humanity and love for one another, attendees are invited to wear something gray in tribute to all those recently lost in the violence.”

It may have been Prince who suggested it. I found this article:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/prince-headline-rally-4-peace-baltimore

"The concert, which will reportedly feature a number of yet-to-be-revealed guest stars, is scheduled to be held at the Royal Farms Arena. Attendees will be encouraged to wear gray as a tribute to the victims of violence everywhere. Prince staged a similarly themed show (entitled, “DANCE RALLY 4 PEACE”) this past weekend at his Paisley Park recording studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota. According to E!’s Lindsay Good, Prince told last weekend’s audience “RIP to those lost,” and thanked concertgoers for wearing gray. At the end of the show he reportedly led fans in a chant of “Baltimore … peace for ever more.”

I don't know of any brother famous or otherwise who would get involved politically and lead a chant as described.

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Just a thought!!!! The person being referred to here as "Prince" would be referred to in OUR congregation meetings as Brother Nelson. This open forum is just that open to the public and OUR referring to OUR spiritual brother as "Prince" lends itself to confusion of facts!!!!

His name is Prince Rogers Nelson.

This open forum is just that open to the public and OUR referring to OUR spiritual brother as "Prince" lends itself to confusion of facts!!!!

We refer to one another by first names on the forum all the time, though we wouldn't do so if we were all in a single congregation meeting.

Personally, I think it would be more confusing to refer to "brother Nelson" when practically nobody knows him by that name, especially when speaking of his employment under the stage name "Prince".

I know that at my recent circuit assembly, we were all instructed to be peaceable with all men, but getting involved with this kind of incident (s) makes it hard for me to understand being separate from the world.   The intent is a kind gesture, but I just don't get it.   Maybe someone else in here does. 

Separateness from the world refers to our neutrality in political matters, as well as not allowing the thinking and attitudes of this permissive and wicked generation to permeate our thoughts and personality and actions. I see nothing wrong with performing in a benefit concert.

I feel bad for brothers and sisters that are more in the public eye, because they are often marred and fastened to a stake by the brothers and sisters who aren't, especially the Facebookers, lol.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

We refer to one another by first names on the forum all the time, though we wouldn't do so if we were all in a single congregation meeting.

Personally, I think it would be more confusing to refer to "brother Nelson" when practically nobody knows him by that name, especially when speaking of his employment under the stage name "Prince".

Prince is his real given first name. Just a thought, YS pauline.

Prince is his real given first name. Just a thought, YS pauline.

True, but there is a difference between brother Prince Nelson, and the title "Prince" in reference to the performer, band, equipment operators, event managers, etc.

New song from "Brother" Prince. I don't understand him. :huh:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/midnight-sun-blog/bal-prince-to-play-surprise-concert-in-baltimore-sunday-20150505-story.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bal-prince-song-freddie-gray20150502-story.html

The “Rally 4 Peace” show comes days after the artist released lyrics to a new single, which is titled “Baltimore.”

The lyrics for “Baltimore” read:

NOBODY GOT IN NOBODY’S WAY

SO EYE GUESS U COULD SAY

IT WAS A GOOD DAY

AT LEAST A LITTLE BETTER THAN THE DAY IN BALTIMORE

DOES ANYBODY HEAR US PRAY?

4 MICHAEL BROWN OR FREDDIE GRAY PEACE IS MORE THAN THE ABSENCE OF WAR

ABSENCE OF WAR

R WE GONNA C ANOTHER BLOODY DAY?

WE’RE TIRED OF CRYIN’ & PEOPLE DYIN’

LET’S TAKE ALL THE GUNS AWAY

ABSENCE OF WAR- U AND ME

MAYBE WE CAN FINALLY SAY

ENUFF IS ENUFF IT’S TIME 4 LOVE

IT’S TIME 2 HEAR,

IT’S TIME 2 HEAR

Edited by Your Brother

I don't think we should be involved in rally's and such it is not what we have been directed to do from Jehovah, being separate from the world, and he is suggesting things would be peaceable without guns, but he knows very well nothing will work but Jehovah's governing authority....I don't know, I'm a little disappointed in this act personally and I really love his talent. I think if he has the stage in a situation like this by choice why not give a shout out to Jehovah who will give all these changes...I think he deserves that when any of us have a chance.

However, that being said, no one is perfect and we all do things that offend our brothers and sisters from time to time the only difference is our offenses are not in the light of news media as his would be so I leave it to Jehovah to judge. Maybe he will open the doors to some good conversations in the ministry...

I don't think we should be involved in rally's and such it is not what we have been directed to do from Jehovah, being separate from the world, and he is suggesting things would be peaceable without guns, but he knows very well nothing will work but Jehovah's governing authority....I don't know, I'm a little disappointed in this act personally and I really love his talent. I think if he has the stage in a situation like this by choice why not give a shout out to Jehovah who will give all these changes...I think he deserves that when any of us have a chance.

However, that being said, no one is perfect and we all do things that offend our brothers and sisters from time to time the only difference is our offenses are not in the light of news media as his would be so I leave it to Jehovah to judge. Maybe he will open the doors to some good conversations in the ministry...

We all have our own conscience and this is an example of how conscience works.  You would not be involved in such a rally because your conscience would not allow it.  You feel this is being part of the world.  

Someone else, on the other hand, may view this differently.  Since there is no direct violation of any scripture, then it is up to the individual to make a choice.  Simply citing "no part of the world" or "separate from the world" isn't enough direct scriptural support.  There is no clear violation of bible principles - participants and guests at the rally are not pledging their allegiance to the government, they are not saying man is the way to solve these problems, etc...

Similarly, some Witnesses do not choose to participate in Relay for Life or any other charitable event that raises money for various disease researches.  They feel that Jehovah and the Kingdom will solve all of these problems, so we don't need to give money to cancer research or heart foundation or whatever.  Other Christians, however, feel differently.  While they know that God's Kingdom is the only permanent solution to man's problems, they realize that some benefit can be achieved now by researching cancer, heart disease, promoting peaceful relations between citizens and the Police, etc...

The key is to strike a balance.  Sometimes these rallies do cross over into direct political actions and violations of our neutral stand.  

Well I have to tell you that I find a rally completely different from contributing to support health care. The definition of rally is: 1.

a mass meeting of people making a political protest or showing support for a cause.

it is based on political protests and showing support for a situation that is politically charged just like this situation is. I am against police using force to kill people just like all these others who are rallying altogether but it does no good to do this if it is not based on Jehovah as the foundation...man will never change a thing unless they submit to Jehovah. These rally's are to make a political change in government and in particular the police response to people who are committing crimes. We should be neutral and we just had an article on not participating but this is also a good one from 2004. Gives Jesus as an example of how he could have tried to correct the world situation of governing while he was here but he did not do it by trying to get some temporary small things changed on earth but instead he taught that it would only be through Jehovah's government that these needed changes would happen. there are many other examples in this magazine including some who used to feel they had to make a stand for change in the environment to save the earth but when they learned the truth they realized it is futile because Jehovah is the only answer...

Do Reformers Have the Answer?

g04 3/22 pp. 5-9

Awake!—2004

What is the difference between a "rally" and a "peaceful Protest" - violence from those with bad intent could break out at either of them.  

As far as Prince goes - I haven't heard one way or the other if he's still an active witness or not - does anyone know?  Usually the standards start sliding when you aren't partaking regularly from Jehovah's table.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

What is the difference between a "rally" and a "peaceful Protest" - violence from those with bad intent could break out at either of them.  

As far as Prince goes - I haven't heard one way or the other if he's still an active witness or not - does anyone know?  Usually the standards start sliding when you aren't partaking regularly from Jehovah's table.

I have refrained from saying much as I know some will blast me for judging a brother.  I did see an interview last year where Prince said "he follows the doctrine of witnesses, but considers himself a 'student of the world' and is currently studying some history/religion in Africa."

Not sure exactly what that comment means, and I of course do not want to imply anything.  At the time though I thought it was an odd comment.

I have refrained from saying much as I know some will blast me for judging a brother.  I did see an interview last year where Prince said "he follows the doctrine of witnesses, but considers himself a 'student of the world' and is currently studying some history/religion in Africa."

Not sure exactly what that comment means, and I of course do not want to imply anything.  At the time though I thought it was an odd comment.

Definitely sounds odd...  

No judging and no blasting from me Sis... Rom 14:12  I thought the comments from the press was rather interesting. Also some things to ponder.

Is the new song released Sunday "Baltimore" a protest song ? Is it political ? Note the CNN title "Prince mixes politics & pop hits at Baltimore concert for Freddie Gray", The Baltimore Sun mentioned that after Prince opened with the song "Lets go Crazy" "Prince then hatched a surprise when he invited State Attorney for Baltimore City Marilyn Mosby to join him on stage. 

Some of the songs played during the concert included When Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette. Back in the 80's the lyrics to LRC was considered by some as controversial.

I was hoping that our Brother would eventually follow in the footsteps of George Benson and his teacher Larry Graham of Sly and the Family Stone, both elders who have used their prominent influence in the music industry to help others spiritually. Just Saying...

Edited by Precision

This is what a commenter said of Prince. It's shows how he is known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses although her info isn't all correct.

post-592-0-74878400-1431434905_thumb.png

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.