JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sunday Morning Ice Cream

There is a resturant here that makes some limited dessert items and you have to order quick or they will be gone.

The small batch ice cream they make is Sunday Morning (which is a vanilla with chunks of waffles, brown sugar, and maple syrup}.  It is delicious. 

I decided I would have to try and recreate this at home.  It worked very well.

I took my ice cream maker at home and made the basic vanilla bean ice cream and added pieces of Belgium waffles, maple syrup cut with bourbon, and pieces of brown sugar bacon.  If you have an ice cream maker you should give this a try.  It was a super decadent ice cream that I will have to make sure I do not make very often.  I could have devoured the tub by myself.

I had sweet dreams all night long.

PS  The bacon I used was an applewood and pecan wood smoked bacon that had been turned in brown sugar then laid out on a baking rack and baked at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.  It is so yummy and it is the way I make bacon instead of frying in a pan.  No splatter and the bacon stays nice and straight. 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Interesting recipe, Leslie! 

I don't know if y'all watch the PBS TV shows, but the Americas Test Kitchen, showed a novel way to cook bacon. You place it in a pan, cover it with water, and let the water cook off, then the bacon can fry in it's own fat, until browned and crispy. My brother showed me that trick for link sausage, years ago, but never thought to try it with bacon. Now, if I could just find some decent bacon..............

I do enjoy that show too.  I really liked Good Eats but they took that channel off my Direct TV package and I don't want to have to bump up to a higher price package.  But I enjoyed the science and history that Alton Brown gave with each episode.  I remember something about that water method but have never tried it since I am so happy with the oven method.  I have been doing that for about 25-30 years and it has aways worked so well.

What does the water do?  Just help remove the fat content?  Is that the way yo do your sausage?

I think I might have posted this before--about a method to bake potatoes.

When we lived in LA, several members of thee yacht club owed or were partners with several world famous resturants there.  They would occassionaly bring in their chefs and have them make a meal for the club.  I got to work hands on with one of the chefs from House of Blues on Sunset Blvd.  He showed me how to do steak house baked potatoes. 

You take large baking potatoes and wash them well then poke them all over with a fork.  He took 5 gallon buckets and filled them with cold water, 1 cup white vinegar, and a box of kosher salt.  He then would take all the potatoes and place in the bucket and put them in the walkin frig and leave them overnight.  Or take them out as needed.  You then dry the potato and rub it with solid shortening and bake them in a hot oven.  The purpose of the salt was to draw out the starch, the vinegar kept the potato white inside, and the solid shortening crisped up the skin.  If you did wrap the potatoe in foil, you were suppose to cut them open right away so they did not steam insdie and soften the skins.  The potato is all flakey inside and when the butter and whatever else you want to add hits it--well, it is just devine.  I do this occassionally stgill.  But I use a big picther and do about 4 potatoes.  I just have to remember to do it ahead of time--the day before--and sometimes I forget.  But when I remember, ahhhhh, totally worth it!

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Mmmm yummy Leslie looks like one to try but I don't have an ice cream maker...but...if an ice dream craving hits it is Chocolate Lover's Trash at Brusters. When I hit the drive through window I say I'd like a large Trash. And next thing I know I have a BIG sinful tasty mob of chocolate in my greedy hands!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Starting the bacon in water helps the bacon retain moisture until some of the fat is exuded, and then can properly brown the scrumptious bacon. (you listening Jeŕry?)

Ah, and Alton Brown videos of some of his shows are on you tube. He really brought cooking to a higher level,didn,t he?