JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pressure Cooking, not canning

Do you pressure cook? I just bought my first electric cooker and am so scared to start, afraid I'll overcook and it'll be awful. 

Because I just L.O.V.E. gizzards when they're cooked right this is my first venture with it. I've been looking at YouTube videos on cleaning and taking the silverskin off them so I think I'm ready to go for them. But how about roasts? Chicken? Other stuff?

I copied off some recipes but first hand experience is always better. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I have a cook top and an electric pressure cooker I got off either QVC or HSN--can't remember which and I LOVE them!  I use to use them alot more when the kids were at home but with just the two of us I don't cook at big as meals as before.  I have never tried chicken livers or gizzards==just can't get past the name.  But I do have alot of good recipes if you tell me a few things you want to try.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I have used a pressure cooker for years and they are a real boon, but I have to tell you a cautionary story about what happened to Tom's sister (my sister-in-law also named Dorothy). Years ago she made potato salad to sell at a local market and she cooked the 'taters  in a large pressure cooker. One day she was in a hurry and since the cooker was no longer letting off steam, she assumed it had cooled off enough to remove the lid. When she opened the lid, it exploded and blew hot potatoes all over her face and chest. Needless to say she was burned badly and was hospitalized for a long time.  What Happened??? Some of the cooked potato had gotten up in the exhaust hole, plugged it off and the steam was still in the cooker. The moral of the story is to make doubly sure the exhaust is not plugged which it can do with things like beans, rice and other foods that cook up mushy. Pressure cookers are a great invention but steam is very powerful and very, very hot. Just be careful!    :thumbsup:

In 1983 the first patient I took care of had a pressure cooker blow up on her the same way.  She had been cooking beans.  She was in a burn unit for weeks constantly having debridement of the beans that were embedded in her face, arms and chest.  She great pain and scarring.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!