JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2889 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

16 minutes ago, Alexa said:

millenniums i think are those who lived 1990+ or 2000+

BTW, it's millennial, when referring to the group of people. I'm a millennial. It's interesting to know what the characteristics are of a millennial. Search online and you'll find a slew of characteristics. I see slight similarities of millennials in my own characteristics, both at work and at home. 

And to tie this thread to another - calling him "Br. Prince" instead of "Br. Nelson:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

It bugs me when I hear our brothers pray for the "vindication of Jehovah's name".  Been many years since we got straightened out on that one!

Gave a talk in a neighboring congregation this morning. On that way home my wife said I only made one mistake, you guessed it, I said we were in a work to 'vindicate Jehovah's  name'. Ouch!  :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 hours ago, Old said:

It bugs me when I hear our brothers pray for the "vindication of Jehovah's name".  Been many years since we got straightened out on that one!

Gave a talk in a neighboring congregation this morning. On that way home my wife said I only made one mistake, you guessed it, I said we were in a work to 'vindicate Jehovah's  name'. Ouch!  :(

Funny, our visiting speaker used that phrase  in his closing prayer..

16 hours ago, Old said:

Old habits die hard Gerry your not alone I think many are working on that one.

Just settled in for today's meeting, fighting a headache, the perfume in the K Hall, and not feeling well from lack of sleep and recovering from that sinus flu thing. An Unbaptized publisher was sitting behind me. (This is the pushy one I spoke about before - takes it upon herself to change my car settings, etc, without asking, and never pitches in a penny for gas, blah blah).  Suddenly I feel someone yanking on my back braid like pulling a flush toilet chain.  Turn around and it's unbap publish sis, having a good laugh. "Who did the yanking." I asked, "Me" said the chortling unbappub. "Please don't," I responded.  Should I go into the ladies' room and change to an updo? Don't want to miss the meeting, so I just pull braid from back to side (front).  Usually I have her over for a meal once a week (that I provide,) but today she is going over Bapt. questions. She has grilled me extensively about my financial situation. MY income is much less than hers and my rent is more. Yesterday she hit up a sister for some money.  Her motto: "I have always depended upon the kindness of others." She definitely has champagne tastes.

3 hours ago, kejedo said:

Just settled in for today's meeting, fighting a headache, the perfume in the K Hall, and not feeling well from lack of sleep and recovering from that sinus flu thing. An Unbaptized publisher was sitting behind me. (This is the pushy one I spoke about before - takes it upon herself to change my car settings, etc, without asking, and never pitches in a penny for gas, blah blah).  Suddenly I feel someone yanking on my back braid like pulling a flush toilet chain.  Turn around and it's unbap publish sis, having a good laugh. "Who did the yanking." I asked, "Me" said the chortling unbappub. "Please don't," I responded.  Should I go into the ladies' room and change to an updo? Don't want to miss the meeting, so I just pull braid from back to side (front).  Usually I have her over for a meal once a week (that I provide,) but today she is going over Bapt. questions. She has grilled me extensively about my financial situation. MY income is much less than hers and my rent is more. Yesterday she hit up a sister for some money.  Her motto: "I have always depended upon the kindness of others." She definitely has champagne tastes.

Pauline, I am so sorry for you. I'm not sure how good I would be at control. You're good. I probably would have packed up my stuff and moved as far as possible from her.

Her actions made me think of a brother who used to be in my cong., he owned a couple different businesses, making sure it never got too busy so he didn't have to work very hard. Once quitting a business, mostly because it got too popular! Then he said he couldn't wait till he could get Social Security so he didn't have to work at all. They even prided themselves on how long they could wear their cloths so they didn't have to buy new ones. Once I had a few things I gave to his wife, I'm completely NOT a fashion-ista, but he made her take the cloths to the second hand store, claiming they were too modern!!! Sheesh, she had the tackiest old green sweater she wore and it made him happy. He was stoked about how many times he could get their shoes repaired before they had to buy new ones. 

I just don't get it

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

20 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Pauline, I am so sorry for you. I'm not sure how good I would be at control. You're good. I probably would have packed up my stuff and moved as far as possible from her.

Her actions made me think of a brother who used to be in my cong., he owned a couple different businesses, making sure it never got too busy so he didn't have to work very hard. Once quitting a business, mostly because it got too popular! Then he said he couldn't wait till he could get Social Security so he didn't have to work at all. They even prided themselves on how long they could wear their cloths so they didn't have to buy new ones. Once I had a few things I gave to his wife, I'm completely NOT a fashion-ista, but he made her take the cloths to the second hand store, claiming they were too modern!!! Sheesh, she had the tackiest old green sweater she wore and it made him happy. He was stoked about how many times he could get their shoes repaired before they had to buy new ones. 

I just don't get it

Have you read the July Watchtower study edition? " seek the kingdom not things " it states " it seems many cannot see the difference between material needs and wants "  also " herein lies the real danger - becoming ensnared by materialism, wanting more and more things, whether we need them or not and whether we can AFFORD them or not " ouch ! it would seem that's going to burn a lot of ears ! but what am I going to do with all of my disposable income? maybe being a little frugal isn't so bad vs retail therapy, an outlet for all of the stresses in life, the pleasure of buying something new, which is short term, and often leads to depression, frivolous spending, then not having enough money for needs (bills) which can make stress worse, lesson - spend less than you earn! Great Watchtower, timely!

3 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Have you read the July Watchtower study edition? " seek the kingdom not things " it states " it seems many cannot see the difference between material needs and wants "  also " herein lies the real danger - becoming ensnared by materialism, wanting more and more things, whether we need them or not and whether we can AFFORD them or not " ouch ! it would seem that's going to burn a lot of ears ! but what am I going to do with all of my disposable income? maybe being a little frugal isn't so bad vs retail therapy, an outlet for all of the stresses in life, the pleasure of buying something new, which is short term, and often leads to depression, frivolous spending, then not having enough money for needs (bills) which can make stress worse, lesson - spend less than you earn! Great Watchtower, timely!

Oh I completely agree with your thoughts, but this family is one who will go out to eat with you, not order anything (cause they don't want to buy) and wait till everyone is done then ask to finish everyone's plate scraps. There is a difference. Frugal is my middle name but ridiculous is another story. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

Oh I completely agree with your thoughts, but this family is one who will go out to eat with you, not order anything (cause they don't want to buy) and wait till everyone is done then ask to finish everyone's plate scraps. There is a difference. Frugal is my middle name but ridiculous is another story. 

Maybe they like growing there own, ya know, practacing for future growth! ha ha ha! reminds me of the commercial where the alligator sitting at the restaurant dinner table, who has very short arms, tries to reach the food bill to pay but can't so the human sitting with him does the courtesy thing to pick up the tab as the sly alligator finishes gobbling down the left overs! :-) 

Edited by Lee49