JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

4 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

I'm on a Star Trek binge. Started with Voyager, on episode 109 of 168 episodes. I think going next to Enterprise then TNG. 

Are you going to do DS9?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Tortuga said:

Are you going to do DS9?

Wanted to, DS9 is my favorite, but it's not on Netflix. I'm going to look on Neotube, should be there. But so far the other 2 will probably keep me going for a while.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

18 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I'm on a Star Trek binge. Started with Voyager, on episode 109 of 168 episodes. I think going next to Enterprise then TNG. 

I've been on a 'binge' for about two years. Every now and again I watch another bit of TNG.

I keep re-watching Cause and Effect, Season 5. 

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

• 3 weeks later...

I was browsing the BBC News app and thought I was going mad. They changed it after a few hours.

IMG_3384.JPG.9f84eb7ae048b51cf40cd456271525dd.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG.23ca3f33a45bb2fef7fe2c2e7773a14a.JPG

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 9/26/2015 at 6:03 AM, Lex said:
On 9/26/2015 at 0:55 AM, paulc said:

Ever seen a one armed bank robber? He's a busy guy.

Funny!!

Is he busier than a  Russian postal worker in 2017?  

On 8/9/2015 at 8:34 PM, Qapla said:

Schedules can be overloaded, at times. Besides my usual work, some of which I have to drive an hour and a half each way to do, we have three funerals this week. My wife's Uncle's wife died (not Witnesses) ans she will be taking her Dad (he is a JW) to the graveside on Tuesday.

We had an Elder in our Hall die last week and his memorial is Thursday night, we will be going to that.

Also, a Brother I have known for over 50 years (he was 86) also died and his memorial service is Sunday afternoon.

:( Hope things have settled down a bit.

I would say yes - but, oddly enough, the wife of our COBE just died yesterday.

She was only in her fifties - and has been fighting cancer for many years.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

They changed it after a few hours.

This an example of two things .....

1. The use of the impersonal pronoun can keep the clarity of a statement from being understood
  2. Never "assume" as many would just assume "it" was referring to the picture, not the caption.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I wish Theresa May would stop saying "No deal is better than a bad deal." Surely then "a bad deal" is the one to go for.

(It's like "Nothing works faster than Anadin." Okay, I'll take nothing then.)

edit:

"Taxi parking only behind the Town Hall"

So much ambiguity! I'm confused enough already.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

Because of the glorious weather I now have a tanned face. Not because I have actually been outside but because I realised how pale I looked and decided to use my facial tanning thingy. I've used it before but it takes ages to have a noticeable effect so I thought I would hold it right up to my face.

So now I have an uneven tan because, of course, when the machine is right up to my face then my nose is half the distance and gets four times the radiation. (Inverse square. Law. Not nose.)

Not that anyone looks at my mug anyway.

Randomly thinking this morning...:scared:

Why do we have to use the letter X when we have a perfectly good Z? Xerox, Xanthan, Xylene, Xenia. How much simpler would it be to just use the right letter. Zerox, Zanthan, Zylene, Zenia, ahhh that feels better.

If you take your dog to work with you do you tell it "I'll be right back honey, be good" whenever you get out? I caught myself doing that this morning. So glad she didn't answer back.

Driving down my road to my house I saw 2 men walking toward me, one on each side of the road, each looking at their phones as they walked. Then I saw a box truck coming toward me, calculating the distance I figured I'd get to the men at roughly the same time the box truck would so to avoid getting close to a pedestrian I slowed down, not figuring that the box truck did the same. So despite my best efforts all 4 of us met on the road at the same place, at the same time. Wow....all the planets must have been aligned for that one. 

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

12 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Why do we have to use the letter X when we have a perfectly good Z? Xerox, Xanthan, Xylene, Xenia. How much simpler would it be to just use the right letter. Zerox, Zanthan, Zylene, Zenia, ahhh that feels better.

Ezzactly. X is considered the penultimate letter: it might also be referred to as a faux letter.  I make Acrostics for people's names sometimes, and try to have a bible thought or scripture for each letter. NOw thinking about one for a couple named Baxter. NOt a scripture but a country in our RNWT  on page 1743, Xhosa, that spells the Divine name =Yehova.  I might work that in.

Used a lot of x in teaching algebra, for one of the axes, but I quickly had students rename formulas  to be more meaningful. Example 60 minutes = 1 hour.  That formula would be 60 m =1h.

MY mind is wandering a bit today.

12 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

On 2017-06-29 at 1:13 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Why do we have to use the letter X when we have a perfectly good Z?

Because Americans can't pronounce or even spell correctly, they even they have exported their pronunciation around the world. :zipmouth::superman:

Even the Brits are now confused. ( Which is getting easier to do as time goes on ) :shutup:

You say Zee not Zed ( How is that group's name pronounced - Lead Zeppelin - as a Zed ) :deadhorse:

( Lead Zeppelin is a Heavy Metal group - they have to be with all that lead in their pants ) :bringiton:

Edited by pnutts

added a line

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

25 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Because Americans can't pronounce or even spell correctly, they even they have exported their pronunciation around the world. :zipmouth::superman:

Even the Brits are now confused. ( Which is getting easier to do as time goes on ) :shutup:

You say Zee not Zed ( How is that group's name pronounced - Lead Zeppelin - as a Zed ) :deadhorse:

( Lead Zeppelin is a Heavy Metal group - they have to be with all that lead in their pants ) :bringiton:

English language is frustrating even for us natives.

I read where when new immigrants become US citizens they are taught a course in American slang....not just English

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..