JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My off topic thread

Excellent question.

*** w64 3/1 p. 160 Questions From Readers ***
● Is there any symbolic significance to the number forty? If so, what is it?—A. L., U.S.A.
As to the number forty, it must be noted that it is used in many different connections in the Bible, as shown by an exhaustive Bible concordance. In its publications the Society has never ascribed to this number any one significance that covers every use of the number. However, in The Watchtower of May 1, 1941, on page 138, in discussing Judges 5:31, it commented on a forty-year period of peace, following the deliverance of the Israelites from Canaanite oppression; and it showed that this foreshadowed the time of the peaceful 1,000-year reign of the Lord Jesus Christ. Obviously this significance cannot be attached to all other occurrences of the number in the Bible. For instance, the number sometimes seems to be associated with a judgment period, judgment or punishment. Thus the rain of Noah’s day fell for forty days. (Gen. 7:4) The law of Moses provided that certain types of offenders were to be given forty strokes. (Deut. 25:3) Israel wandered in the wilderness for forty years as a punishment for their rebellious course. (Num. 14:34) Jonah warned Nineveh that in forty days it would be destroyed. (Jonah 3:4) However, we are not to conclude that every time the number forty occurs in the Scriptures it has symbolic significance.

This came up in a conversation over dinner last night with friends.  In a Morning Worship program recently (don't know which), the brother spent a long time going through all these Biblical references, seemingly building up to some wonderful conclusion about the number 40.  Then he ended with "No, there is nothing significant about this number". 

Seems to fit in with our recent streamlining of information of not reading too much into the scriptures when there is nothing.

Google Translate will translate 'Jehovah' to Lord. hmmm... conspiracy?

Don't forget that Google spelled backwards is El Goog...

I'm just saying.... :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A Chinese ping-pong champion that loved monster movies was known as the Hong-Kong Ping-Pong King-Kong Ding-Dong.

Believe it or not...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Automobile gasoline is a blended product, there is a recipe for making gasoline. Just like any recipe, no two batches are exactly the same but it's still gasoline.

LOL !! I'm gonna use that on my hubby.

It was either "The Sulk" or "Pooperman"

I thought about being Iron Man but then my wife would want me to be Dishwasher Man or Laundry Man.

Automobile gasoline is a blended product, there is a recipe for making gasoline. Just like any recipe, no two batches are exactly the same but it's still gasoline.

Gotta get the lead out. Done. Need more octane. Maybe?

Gotta get the lead out. Done. Need more octane. Maybe?

I love the Shell "Get new nitrogen enriched gasoline" commercials. nitrogen is a poison and doesn't improve combustion.

let's see how many topics we can cover in one thread.

Is anyone counting?

I had a fear of the inside of my dad's typewriter.

Qwertygo?

Were you just falling all over your self to say that. It makes me dizzy just thinking about it.  :D

Qwertygo is external, and not treated by an internist or by an intern. A primary will not treat this either, as it is peripheral.

I was getting all keyed up worrying about that.

I love the Shell "Get new nitrogen enriched gasoline" commercials. nitrogen is a poison and doesn't improve combustion.

If you look up the qualities of nitrogen gas it is very inert, meaning it doesn't join with many other atoms. Kinda like a LONER!

But when you do get the gas connected with other atoms it can be very explosive.

http://www.digipac.ca/chemical/mtom/contents/chapter3/fritzhaber_1.htm

Edited by crazylee

Your insurance will not pick up the tab. Typewriter phobia is becoming obsolete. It used to be a Royal pain. 

I heard it can cause a keystroke in your rib carriage.

If you look up the qualities of nitrogen gas it is very inert, meaning it doesn't join with many other atoms. Kinda like a LONER!

But when you do get the gas connected with other atoms it can be very explosive.

http://www.digipac.ca/chemical/mtom/contents/chapter3/fritzhaber_1.htm

The elemental nitrogen, N2, will poison the catalyst that is used to remove sulphur compounds from gasoline blend components. Water is used to flush it from the oil and that creates NH3 which is used to make fertilizer.

I liked the Smothers Brothers comedy routines.

I'd like to sing a few bars from one of their routines

...soap soap soap soap....