JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Video: 2014 International Conventions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3196 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I don't know why.... but when I download the video.. there is only a small screen which shows the video. Is this the "normal" video?

(Btw... it is a BEAUTIFUL video! I really love to see all those brothers and sisters from all around the world!

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the Mexican wave from Sunday!  Great memories.  Wish I could do it again.

Perhaps that was deliberately omitted. I must say that on a personal level I found it somewhat distasteful and worldly - like a football crowd.

Even more did I find the "bowing" to the brothers on the field distasteful. I mean the bowing in a worshipful attitude as we see individuals in sports grounds "bowing" to idolize their favourites.

When I was young (many years ago) our elementary school taught all of the boys and young men to give a 'gentlemanly' bow to all adults when they entered the room. The girls and young women were taught to curtsy. We all addressed these older ones as Sir or Ma'am (sometimes Miss, if we knew them to be unmarried).  It was a kindlier and more gentle time when my mother taught me to respect my elders and my betters.

My friends in the business world who were from India bowed every time we met.  Even on the telephone I could "hear" the bow even if I did not see it.  The distraction to you may be a cultural norm to others.  God told us to 'rise up before gray hair' as a sign of respect.

When I was young (many years ago) our elementary school taught all of the boys and young men to give a 'gentlemanly' bow to all adults when they entered the room. The girls and young women were taught to curtsy. We all addressed these older ones as Sir or Ma'am (sometimes Miss, if we knew them to be unmarried).  It was a kindlier and more gentle time when my mother taught me to respect my elders and my betters.

My friends in the business world who were from India bowed every time we met.  Even on the telephone I could "hear" the bow even if I did not see it.  The distraction to you may be a cultural norm to others.  God told us to 'rise up before gray hair' as a sign of respect.

I agree totally, John. The bowing I refer to is the standing with arms extended above your head and then bowing from the waist. More of a worshipful bow. I don't think that is what you describe.

I agree totally, John. The bowing I refer to is the standing with arms extended above your head and then bowing from the waist. More of a worshipful bow. I don't think that is what you describe.

Just so I can understand what happened, it was something like what appears in the photos below?

Sem%20tiacutetulo2_zpsxd586nph.jpg

Just so I can understand what happened, it was something like what appears in the photos below?

Sem%20tiacutetulo2_zpsxd586nph.jpg

The Mexican wave...I think he's referring to

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

The Mexican wave...I think he's referring to

Ahh yes, now I understand. I do not think it is something mundane in this case. It is the Latin culture. Just a demonstration of joy on the occasion, reason being there with his brothers!

There was a Mexican wave also going round the stadium, but also individuals bowing forward in that position quite separately to the wave.

Here in Brazil it is sometimes made to mean "you are very important to me, I feel humble close to you", especially in times of casualness. It would never be seen as an act of worship.

Edited by Araujo JW