JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tortoise hide & seek

On Wednesday I found a small tortoise in my front yard, I think it is a desert tortoise because of the coloring. It's unusual to see a tortoise this far north so I assume he belongs to someone in the area. I put him in the back yard and go into the house for half a minute to get a water bowl and when I come back, he is on the other side of the yard. Wow.

I move him back to the patio and go back in the house for less than a minute and when I come back, he is gone. I can't find hide or hare of him (pun intended). I've been searching for him for two days.

On Friday I look for him and I can't find him anywhere, so I decide to do a little weeding and when I turn around, he is standing right behind me on the sidewalk, looking at me. He wasn't anywhere near me a minute earlier!

I go into the house to get my wife and when I come back, he is gone again.

So, now I'm wondering if the Star Trek guys can help me. Is it possible that tortoises have developed a beaming technology?

^_^

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Some from our animal kingdom are faster than reported.  PS. Average speed does not take into account bursts of speed, when called for.  :touche: p.s. if the reptile wins, will the humanoid change nomenclature once again?   Just a question. YS  

Some from our animal kingdom are faster than reported.  PS. Average speed does not take into account bursts of speed, when called for.  :touche: p.s. if the reptile wins, will the humanoid change nomenclature once again?   Just a question. YS  

If you are referring to the nom de plume, I think I changed it before I met Speedy. I was going to use nom de plume as my nom de plume but I didn't want to confuse anyone.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Desert turtle factoid: Picking up a Desert tortuga causes it to eject all its stored water, as a self defense action. This could be fatal for said toitle. ..

But I could be wrong.

Ah, a little tortoise toilet tutelage from tekmantwo...

He was still well hydrated the last time I saw him. 

Well Speedy was meandering in the back yard a little while ago so Linda picked him up and he promptly activated his defense system. She felt bad for him so she gave him some bottled water, sliced up some strawberries, made him a little salad and then gathered some hibiscus and rose petals for him. Speedy now has a Tortoise smorgasbord that would make any tortoise jealous. In just two minutes Linda has changed him from being a desert tortoise to a Beverly Hills tortoise.... :)

There were turtles who returned annually to the same area in Maine, where I had lived,. They also followed the same path every year. They crossed the dirt road at the same curve year in, year out. I would slow down and they seemed to lift their shell a bit and pick up their speed, some. They were nor supercharged, but if given some time and space, they would use it. I had seen dead turtles there,   :( because motorists would not slow down.  Sad. The moose used that same path across dirt road (heading off into the woods). I never saw a dead moose.  Go figure.  :ph34r:

Edited by kejedo

Well Speedy was meandering in the back yard a little while ago so Linda picked him up and he promptly activated his defense system. She felt bad for him so she gave him some bottled water, sliced up some strawberries, made him a little salad and then gathered some hibiscus and rose petals for him. Speedy now has a Tortoise smorgasbord that would make any tortoise jealous. In just two minutes Linda has changed him from being a desert tortoise to a Beverly Hills tortoise.... :)

Richard--do you attend the Beverly Hills congregation? I did for a while back in 2005/2006

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Richard--do you attend the Beverly Hills congregation? I did for a while back in 2005/2006

:)  No, we are in northern California. Linda was just treating Speedy like a Beverly Hills star.

Each time I see this thread title I think of the fable The Tortoise and the Hare.  I recall watching as a child a Valentines tv special with Buggs Bunny.  He was singing the song "I dream of Jeanie" in his funny little voice and he sung it this way  "I dream of Jeanie she's a light brown hare"  That has stuck with me for 45 years!  How can I retain so much useless information and forget all the important things?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

How can I retain so much useless information and forget all the important things?

It's ok to remember the fun stuff.

When I retired I told my co-workers that I was going to reboot my brain and if they called me I probably wont remember their name. After 30 years of working around tanks, the other day someone said 'tanks' and I said 'you're welcome'.