JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What kind of a cook are you?

Can't be bothered?

Don't like to cook?

No time or inclination?

Beginner but would love to learn?

Know my way around a kitchen?

I think I am a great cook when all the resources are in alignment? (Time, energy, ingredients, enthusiasm)

No one cooks like me---I am a master?

I think I fall in-between I know my way around a kitchen and am eager to learn more!  I just can't wait to learn more from my brothers and sisters around the world and especially from ones to be resurrected! I am eager to see how they did things in the past and see their faces on the advancements that have been made.  I love my dishwasher!!! 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I am a pretty capable cook. Given a recipe I can make anything and have it come out the way it is supposed to be flavor and presentation-wise. I don't like prepared foods so everything I make is from scratch where possible, you won't find anything in my freezer. 

Can't be bothered?

Don't like to cook?

No time or inclination?

Beginner but would love to learn?

Know my way around a kitchen?

I think I am a great cook when all the resources are in alignment? (Time, energy, ingredients, enthusiasm)

No one cooks like me---I am a master?

I think I fall in-between I know my way around a kitchen and am eager to learn more!  I just can't wait to learn more from my brothers and sisters around the world and especially from ones to be resurrected! I am eager to see how they did things in the past and see their faces on the advancements that have been made.  I love my dishwasher!!! 

We are in the same place Leslie :)

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

I love to cook, but not all the time. I am really good at it. I love to cook for friends because they really appreciate it. There is a family at the hall that I cook for from time to time. I will make for them, Lasagna, Merliton Casserole, Shrimp and Okra Gumbo and sometimes Stuffed Shrimp. This weekend for a shower I am making chicken salad sandwiches. If anyone ever comes to New Orleans, I will cook for you too,,.... :):chef:

I am a great cook and I know my way around the kitchen.  Always learning more though.

Sadly, last couple of years I find that I am having less time to cook the way I want too.  Just don't have as much time to make elaborate meals or learn new recipes. Kids are older too now and have lives and it's hard for all of us to be at home the same time to sit down for a meal.  Yesterday I got home from work at 2 pm and my husband just left for his shift, my son was at the convention site til 8 pm and my daughter was in Cambodian Service til 9 pm.  This is becoming more and more the norm around my home, hence less family meals.

This is me^^^^ when it is just right ... I can work wonders   :backflip:  

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

I have a daughter with a Chef Certificate .... does that count?

BTW - I can cook just fine - have cooked pizza for a living in the past.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I used to love to cook. Not so much anymore, especially since I've eliminated sugar,wheat,and have gone low carb (little to no rice or potatoes). I know that some people prepare elaborate low carb meals, but right now it's easier to just bake, boil, broil, or assemble a salad. I have some sweet potato ready to add to the dogs' food. I might sample it.  One of my (adult) sons has a culinary certificate and is more and more interested in healthy meal prep. I guess I have been more concerned with my dogs' home cooked recipes than my own. Woof.  

The pro's & con's of making meals :

Pro : meal

Con: making

Joking apart I like to cook. My specialities according to my wife are: - - Duck "magret" with raspberry sauce

- Grilled "picanha" (special part of the cow in a Brazilian way)

Enviado do meu LG-D802 através de Tapatalk

I cook rather than starve, and even then sometimes I'd rather just starve.

There was an old commercial for Carls Jr hamburgers of a man standing in a grocery store looking totally confused. The commercial said that if it wasn't for Carls Jr, some people would starve.

I don't like fast food but if I had to cook for myself it would either be fast food or starving to death. I'm such a bad cook that I can't remember the ingredients for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hate to break it to your Richard, most people do not actually cook peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - so, making them is not actually "cooking"

Well...that explains part of what I'm doing wrong...maybe I had the pan too hot... :)

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think I am a great cook when all the resources are in alignment (Time, energy, ingredients, enthusiasm) but only things I'm confident at cooking. I'm defiantly not a wiz I can't throw things together and make them work (although I do surprise myself on occasion). Baking is more my speciality especially cupcakes and cookies. Pineapple & coconut cake and brownies are my family's favourites. Soup, risotto, pasta and stir frys would be my favourite things to cook. I also make a mean cheese toastie I adapted Jamie Oliver's version.

I think I am a great cook when all the resources are in alignment (Time, energy, ingredients, enthusiasm) but only things I'm confident at cooking. I'm defiantly not a wiz I can't throw things together and make them work (although I do surprise myself on occasion). Baking is more my speciality especially cupcakes and cookies. Pineapple & coconut cake and brownies are my family's favourites. Soup, risotto, pasta and stir frys would be my favourite things to cook. I also make a mean cheese toastie I adapted Jamie Oliver's version.

Tell me about your cheese toastie Sis.  I love all the varieties and combo's with the different cheeses and breads! 

The pineapple and coconut cake sounds goooood to!

LeslieDean

Tell me about your cheese toastie Sis. I love all the varieties and combo's with the different cheeses and breads!

The pineapple and coconut cake sounds goooood to!

The best combination I have found is using a soft white hi-top loaf that I slice myself. I butter both slices on one side and place a slice of tasty cheese inside the sandwich with the butter side facing out. Using a non stick fry pan pan fry the sandwich on one side and lightly on the other, I then remove it from the pan and place a handful of grated tasty cheese in the pan and also a small amount of fresh grated Parmesan (although it does work without the parm). Place the lightly pan fried side on top on the cheese in the pan and cook until bubbly. The toastie will be crisp on the outside and soft and cheese in the middle. Jamie Oliver does the cheese in the pan on both sides but I don't think it's nessesary.

I've always done toasties in a sandwich press but this is something special especially served with a homemade pumpkin or veggie soup.

Edited by madison

Pineapple upside down cake

100 g butter 

175 g caster sugar 

2 eggs

175 g self-Raising flour 

1 tsp baking powder

200 ml coconut milk 

1 handful desiccated coconut

1 tin (chopped in half) pineapple rings, in syrup (I use in natural juice and it works just fine)

Preheat oven to 180°C.

Line a 900g loaf tin with a sheet of baking or silicon paper. 

Beat the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy.

Crack in the eggs one at a time and mix in. 

Sieve in the flour and baking powder and fold through.

Pour in the coconut milk and scatter in the desiccated coconut, then stir together.

Drain the pineapple of most of its syrup, halve them, then layer across the bottom of the loaf tin. Overlap them to fit them all in.

Bake for 50 minutes until golden and firm to touch. Test that the cake is cooked by poking a skewer into the middle of the sponge and checking that it comes out clean.

Allow to cool slightly in the tin before turning upside down so that the pineapple becomes the top of the loaf. Serve with hot custard.

I can make a PJ is that the same

I don't like cooking so i by a lot of remade stuff

Hate to break it to your Richard, most people do not actually cook peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - so, making them is not actually "cooking"

As an Australian I find the concept of peanut butter and jelly very strange lol! It's just not something you would see on sandwiches that parents would send to school with their kids. Jam yes, peanut butter yes but together not likely. But I'm sure you all think the same about Vegemite (if you ever got to try it).

My dad would eat jam and cheese together and I think he still does. My husband makes what someone told us is called a yogi bear, it's toast with peanut butter and honey. So maybe not that strange after all although personally I don't eat it

As an Australian I find the concept of peanut butter and jelly very strange lol! It's just not something you would see on sandwiches that parents would send to school with their kids. Jam yes, peanut butter yes but together not likely. But I'm sure you all think the same about Vegemite (if you ever got to try it).

My dad would eat jam and cheese together and I think he still does. My husband makes what someone told us is called a yogi bear, it's toast with peanut butter and honey. So maybe not that strange after all although personally I don't eat it

I love peanut butter and honey on crackers for breakfast. I've never tried vegemite. I love jam and cheese with wine, we get a fig butter that is a jam and it is great with cheese and wine.

The best combination I have found is using a soft white hi-top loaf that I slice myself. I butter both slices on one side and place a slice of tasty cheese inside the sandwich with the butter side facing out. Using a non stick fry pan pan fry the sandwich on one side and lightly on the other, I then remove it from the pan and place a handful of grated tasty cheese in the pan and also a small amount of fresh grated Parmesan (although it does work without the parm). Place the lightly pan fried side on top on the cheese in the pan and cook until bubbly. The toastie will be crisp on the outside and soft and cheese in the middle. Jamie Oliver does the cheese in the pan on both sides but I don't think it's nessesary.

I've always done toasties in a sandwich press but this is something special especially served with a homemade pumpkin or veggie soup.

That is the way I do my burgers.  Here it is called a cheese skirt.  After frying the HB patty cover with grated cheese where the cheese goes off the patty onto the pan then cover with a lid and steam the cheese--it melts on the patty nicely while making a crisp skirt around the patty.  Never thought of doing that to the grilled cheese.  I can see we will be fast friends!!!

LeslieDean