JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Things that keep me awake at night...

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Why do Bad decisions make good stories?

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello?), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice mail. What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?

I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay

I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom, anger and hunger.

How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!

Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.

Is it just me or do high school kids get dumber & dumber every year?

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far.

As a driver I hate pedestrians, and as a pedestrian I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate bicyclists.

Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

There is more I am sure.  What is keeping you awake at night?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Have you had a sleep study?  We see so many patients that bring their own CPap's and BiPaps in to the hospital for their stay.  Do you have one?

So far I have never heard one person say it has not helped.  The difference in their alertness and energy level is a wonderful thing.

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

There is more I am sure.  What is keeping you awake at night?

You are hilarious! I could spend all day on this topic!

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

For my first sleep study, out of 8 dedicated hours, I slept 2 hours with more than 40 apnea episodes per hour. Second study, with c-pap, netted three hours out of 8 dedicated, with little/no reduction in apnea episodes p/h.Because of Restless leg syndrome and muscle aches, I jump up all night and remove/ replace device.Tried every attachment. Insurance took it back, declaring I was unsuccessful and will never get another one issued. In truth, it felt like my ears were exploding,my mouth was so dry I was barking like a seal, and my face was sore from pulling and putting back. Just had the body box test and was told my lungs are very small and my lung volume is naturally tiny. I try to sit up most of the night, use nasal sprays and strips. There is a one shot cold laser co2 treatment that is quit effective, but my docs are not up on it. (1.5 hours from NYC).  I shall wait for the technology to catch up, here. Do you think recliner chairs help us with multiple respiratory challenges?  I do all the obvious suggestions such as not eating late at night. I am of normal weight, but even when I was very underweight, i still experienced this symptomology.  

I hate to hear that it was a failed procedure for you.  Like I said--you are the first.  Well, there are ones that are claustrophobic and can not use the device but for the ones that can--they rave about it!  I took care of a couple of sisters I had never met before, and they were so happy with theirs. Ones husband even said she takes it with her everywhere.  That if she could only take one thing on vacation he knew he would be left out!  They are so popular they almost seem like a trend now.  I guess we just get really lousy sleep with all the problems that plague us. 

I have never heard of the cold laser.  Is it a treatment they do to your nasal passages?  I will have to look it up later

I did take care of a elderly lady this week with respiratory problems (she weighed 86 lbs) and they were having a time finding a mask for her.  Got a specialty one in finally and she said it felt like it was sucking her eyeballs right out of their sockets.  She even had tiny blood veins that had ruptured in her eye.

I have heard it assits the breathing with a recliner but does not eliminate the problem..  I know you are exhausted because that is the dominant complaint I hear.  Do you not have a recliner to try before you buy?  Have you tried putting concrete blocks under the head of your bed?  Or perhaps those angled pillows under the head of your mattress?  I have not had the RLS since getting off chemo tx but i have horrible foot and groin and leg cramps that cause me to get out of bed and walk around. My K+ level is good so not sure about all these painful cramps.  I even get them in my fingers where I look like a have RA.

Look on line in a sleep shop re the pillows.  I'll look now too and send a link

LeslieDean

http://www.amazon.com/MDS-Medical-Wedge-Pillow-pillow/dp/B00MNRJ9OG/ref=sr_1_2/180-3277289-9009521?ie=UTF8&qid=1437527047&sr=8-2&keywords=medical+pillow+

You can even put these under your mattress so the mattress tilts up.

Scroll down and look at the wedges for your legs--maybe that may help with the RLS

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

I wear 1 year plug on 1 side and sleep on the other side. It works for the most part. Good night to all.

I use earplugs at night because I use to work shiftwork and was a day sleeper, I'm use to wearing them and it feels odd if I don't. I also wear ear plugs because my wife has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP but she still snores. She wears earplugs because she claims that I snore but despite all of the videos and recordings she has made, there is no proof that I snore.  :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Snoring is wayyyyy to sensitive of a subject for most women.  It is right up there with passing gas! :wub:

My ex-husband woke me up one night when I was pregnant to tell me I was about to suck the curtains off the wall. Wellllllllllll. Maybe that is why he is an ex! I just looked on Amazon for the pillows for Pauline and saw some leg wedges for my husband.  They should be here the 28th.  Can't wait to see if they help with all the edema he has in his legs from the knee replacements and being up at least 16 hrs a day on concrete floors.

LeslieDean

I have not had the RLS since getting off chemo tx but i have horrible foot and groin and leg cramps that cause me to get out of bed and walk around. My K+ level is good so not sure about all these painful cramps.  I even get them in my fingers where I look like a have RA.

How are your magnesium levels??

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I have the mattress genie that lifts the bed. I'm not sure if it helps much. I will take magnesium now. It helps a little with the leg cramps. Both pulmonologists I have seen say my apnea is the worst. (The worst what? Worst they've ever seen? Who knows?) 

Leslie, this stated out to be a humorous thread. Sorry I derailed it. I was recently talking to my niece (not in the truth) about a tendency many family members inherited from our great grandmother. "How would you describe it? " she asked. Well, the family tendency is to never let the truth get in the way a good story. Now that's something to think about at night. 

There are a lot of things that keep me awake at night, I listed some of them in another topic;

Was Lot's wife really named Pepper?

Why aren't butterflies called flutterbies?

If Satan had used a kitten instead of a snake, would we be afraid of kittens and have pictures of cute, cuddly snakes?

If we all speak a common language, will we still have accents?

There are endless food questions;

Who was the first person to eat a snail?

Who figured out you had to pound abalone, was he angry at it?

Did Oliver Twist invent S'mores?

I have always wondered,

If it is true that pet owners look like their pets, why aren't some people more careful about the pet they chose?

There are a lot of things that keep me awake at night, I listed some of them in another topic;

Was Lot's wife really named Pepper?

Why aren't butterflies called flutterbies?

If Satan had used a kitten instead of a snake, would we be afraid of kittens and have pictures of cute, cuddly snakes?

If we all speak a common language, will we still have accents?

We were having a talk about accents here in NY, where there are many. A Sister with a 3 year old goes with me on a study and some calls that have young children, b/c her little son is quite an asset in the ministry.  One of my Bible students has a 2 year old named McKenna. Our sister's little boy says it McKinna. He already has a cute little way of saying things that are quite unique. HIs much older sister has a husband with a strong accent, so I am not sure where he is picking up his adorable  way of speaking.  

Sometimes I wonder, did Adam name the whales, sharks and deep sea creatures? How?

If he did name those animals I expect the method to be the same used when he named "every wild animal of the field and every flying creature of the heaven" when Jehovah "began bringing them to the man"

Ge 2:19-20

19 Now Jehovah God had been forming from the ground every wild animal of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man would call each living creature,a that became its name.r 20 So the man named all the domestic animals and the flying creatures of the heavens and every wild animal of the field,...

I have a lot of trouble shutting my mind down at night, it's the worst part of the day for me because I dread going to bed and then lying there awake all night.  I run "lists" through my head, forward and backward - books of the Bible, the judges of Isreal, the 12 tribes of Isreal, the twelve sons of Jacob, the twelve apostles, the fruitages of the spirit, etc.  I keep hoping I'll get bored and finally fall asleep but it never happens.  What is even worse is if I forget a name in any of my lists, that can keep me up for hours and many times I just have to get up and find the answer so I can get THAT off my mind!  It's a constant vicious circle.

In the meantime, my husband is fully asleep 2 minutes after his head hits the pillow - literally!  That bugs me.  I've asked him how he does it, how does he get to sleep so fast?!!  He tells me that he just lets his mind go blank.  HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!!!! My mind is constantly "on" - there is no "off" switch.  The dumbest things will pop into my head and then if I can't think of the answer, it really drives me nuts.  Poor Jehovah gets the brunt of things most nights - I pray a lot about pretty inane stuff I'm sure to him.  

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D