JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Boy Scouts End Ban on Gay Leaders

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3159 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/us/boy-scouts-end-nationwide-ban-on-gay-leaders.html

The Boy Scouts of America on Monday ended its ban on openly gay adult leaders.

But the new policy allows church-sponsored units to choose local unit leaders who share their precepts, even if that means restricting such positions to heterosexual men.

Despite this compromise, the Mormon Church said it might leave the organization anyway. Its stance surprised many and raised questions about whether other conservative sponsors, including the Roman Catholic Church, might follow suit.

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is deeply troubled by today’s vote,” said a statement issued by the church moments after the Scouts announced the new policy. “When the leadership of the church resumes its regular schedule of meetings in August, the century-long association with scouting will need to be examined.”

Only two weeks ago, the Mormon Church hinted that it could remain in the fold so long as its units could pick their own leaders.

My opinion. I believe the LDS Church WANTED the vote to be on a day OTHER than when they were available so they could make a big scene about it - only to later quietly accept the "compromise". 

We will know in a few weeks  :wink:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

They're all peas in one pod.

Lotta probs there, already. Glad I never let my boys go.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boy-scouts-to-report-found-pedophiles-to-police/

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/04/15676325-new-lawsuit-claims-boy-scouts-failed-to-stop-pedophile-in-midwest?lite

Like most youth-organizations, the BSA has struggled with the problem of sex abuse and how to handle abuse allegations. J.L. Tarr, a Chief Scout Executive in the 1980s, said regarding sexual assault cases against Scout leaders across all 50 states: "That's been an issue since the Boy Scouts began.”[4] Several reports have surfaced over the years regarding incidents of sexual abuse within the Boy Scouts of America to include incidents of repeat offenders.[8][9] There have also been several high profile court cases that resulted in convictions and settlements involving such incidents http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_sex_abuse_cases

Father sues Boy Scouts for release of perversion files.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0LEV1J8BLhVjBMAX1RXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTkwMS1zBGdwcmlkA1k5UXFZeEZvUnBDUjNyUVhlRTJBTUEEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzQEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMEcXN0cmwDMjQEcXVlcnkDYm95IHNjb3V0cyBtdXJkZXIgZmF0aGVyBHRfc3RtcAMxNDM4MTIzNDkw?p=boy+scouts+murder+father&fr2=sb-top

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/17/discovery-father-scout-abuse-file-triggers-memories-what-ifs-for-brother-and/sister

I was very sad to read of their new stand. I remember with fondness my days as a Boy Scott. But that

was over some 40 years ago. for me it was very much about learning about nature, ti camp, hike, canoe,

as well imparting a sense of pride and personal character. Even the Scott mottos of "Be Prepared" and

"Do a Good Turn Daily." speak to those values. I might still be a scout today if it wasn't for its patriotic

overtones, it's participation in holidays ( such as it's annual Christmas tree sale ), and the vast commitment

of time it asks of it's members.

As for LDS involvement, it's interesting that the concerns that caused us to leave have not been a problem

to them. While I'm not sure I completely agree with Jerry's comment, he certainly has had far more experience

dealing with the Mormon Church than I have. However since they are part of Babylon, they may find moral

compromise a course of financial expediantcy. Especially given their long associationship with Scouting.

GStorrs46

1/8/77 Watching the World; ◆ In the family tradition, wrote a former Boy Scout to the Washington Post, he planned to have his eight-year-old son also join that organization. However, the bicentennial issue of the Scout magazine, Boys’ Life, changed his mind. “It is full of ads for firearms and air rifles,” he complained. “On page 35, it’s ‘the gun’ and ‘the son of the gun’ [large and small rifles], . . . The inside front cover is a full page ad for air rifles which says boys can learn ‘what a great friend a gun can be.’ . . . Page 52 offers the young boy an opportunity to spend $21.95 for a World War II helmet, apparently a real Nazi type, as well as ‘Uniforms, Bayonets, etc.’ . . . This entire magazine teaches boys to be exactly the sort of person we don’t need in a crowded world. We don’t need a lot of killing and swashbuckling attitudes in a world which needs builders rather than destroyers.”

From Wikipedia The BSA's stated purpose at its incorporation in 1910 was "to teach [boys] patriotism, ....... I read early on that boyscouts was started to prepare boys to enter the military.  http://www.dodlive.mil/index.php/2010/01/military-service-and-the-boy-scouts-of-america/I have always been a conscientious objector and did not want my boys to have military goal training. 
LOts of info online re: The connection between Boyscouting and Army/ Military life goals. 

When we were in the Scouts, the connection between them and the military did not seem so pronounced. maybe it was

where we lived ( the Midwest ). I was aware that Lord Baden Powel founded the scout in 1910. and of course he was

in the military. However regarding his motives I remember reading he wanted to form a boys club that would help train

young men to form moral characters and prepare them to be leaders one day. It is this part of the scouting program

I found most attractive,  as well as it's program of learning to be self sufficient and in essence being able to live off of the

land. For those things I am grateful to scouting. Sadly though, as have been brought out here, there are many other nega-

tive aspects of scouting, which would make it objectionable for true Christians.

As for the LDS Church, after doing a little reading on them and their relationship with the scouts, leaving the scouts would

have drastic consequences for them. They have been officially connected to them since 1913. Scouting has been seen by them

as a means of training their young men, and preparing them for their two year missions for the Church. It is also acknowledged

the LDS Church makes up 17% of Scout membership and is it's single greatest financial contributor. For the LDS, to leave

would mean developing their own program to accomplish what they now rely on scouting to do So as Jerry mentioned at

the outset, it will be interesting to see what they will do.

GStorr46

Well, the LDS is winding down their missionary program, so they don't or won't need to have all that training they once felt necessary.

What? I hadn't heard that. Where can I get more info? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I grew up with the assumption that we, as Jehovah's Witnesses, did not join the Boy Scouts (or, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownie's, etc.), ever.

Was there a time when it was okay, or was I just misinformed?

Either way, I can't imagine this BSA policy change will affect too many of our young brothers!  LOL!

I was in girl scouts, and never seen the military connection either. 

That being said, my dad, my uncles and almost all the grown men I know were in boy scouts, including one of my little brothers, my little brother went all the way through (like he was still in boy scouts in college!) 

For us being witnesses, it's neither here nor there, we wouldn't have our children in Boy Scouts cause as witnesses it's a lot of outside time with worldly people, and quite frankly we can teach these things at home, and do! I have even bought books so I don't forget some things, but we camp, hike, etc a lot, especially since we homeschool. In fact, I'm hoping we can start having some witness homeschooling camping trips during the school year when the camping places will be more empty! 

But, even if I was worldly, I would NOT ever put my boys in Boy scouts... my uncles were molested by their cub leader... and never recovered from that. I just wouldn't be able to trust my children with a leader on their own. My dad was in my uncles same group. (my uncles were my mom's brothers). My dad was not molested, his step father was on ALL the boy scout things, and I guess that saved my dad. My mom's father died when my uncles were 3 and 6 years old... my grandma was a widow raising 5 children, she could not afford time or money to go on all these. They were vulnerable. My husband has a job with too many hours, he wouldn't of been able to be there at every thing. My dad did like his step father, and stayed with my brother the whole time he was in scouts. Even up to the college level, my dad still went with my brother! (I guess what happened to my uncles, and also some of my dad's friends who also didn't have participating parents, stuck with him as well). 

I was in girl scouts, and never seen the military connection either. 

That being said, my dad, my uncles and almost all the grown men I know were in boy scouts, including one of my little brothers, my little brother went all the way through (like he was still in boy scouts in college!) 

For us being witnesses, it's neither here nor there, we wouldn't have our children in Boy Scouts cause as witnesses it's a lot of outside time with worldly people, and quite frankly we can teach these things at home, and do! I have even bought books so I don't forget some things, but we camp, hike, etc a lot, especially since we homeschool. In fact, I'm hoping we can start having some witness homeschooling camping trips during the school year when the camping places will be more empty! 

But, even if I was worldly, I would NOT ever put my boys in Boy scouts... my uncles were molested by their cub leader... and never recovered from that. I just wouldn't be able to trust my children with a leader on their own. My dad was in my uncles same group. (my uncles were my mom's brothers). My dad was not molested, his step father was on ALL the boy scout things, and I guess that saved my dad. My mom's father died when my uncles were 3 and 6 years old... my grandma was a widow raising 5 children, she could not afford time or money to go on all these. They were vulnerable. My husband has a job with too many hours, he wouldn't of been able to be there at every thing. My dad did like his step father, and stayed with my brother the whole time he was in scouts. Even up to the college level, my dad still went with my brother! (I guess what happened to my uncles, and also some of my dad's friends who also didn't have participating parents, stuck with him as well). 

Wow, and not uncommon. so sorry.

Edited by kejedo

I grew up with the assumption that we, as Jehovah's Witnesses, did not join the Boy Scouts (or, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownie's, etc.), ever.

Be careful with such blanket statements.  They usually end up not being true.  

There are some conscience decisions that Witnesses make that are wise, and some that are unwise.  There are some decisions that influence our young ones and others that end up having no influence.

There are some life choices Witness parents will not make (or will make) for their child that a non-believing parent in a divided home might insist upon for their child.

Witnesses don't go to school dances.  Witnesses don't go to Prom.  Witnesses never attend school holiday parties.  Witnesses never get involved in high school sports.  Witnesses never go to college.  Witnesses never go on Facebook or use the Internet.   All of these blanket statements would be false.  

In fact, I grew up with witness children who was a few years older and lived down the street from me.  Their father was an unbeliever, Korean War veteran and very patriotic.  He insisted the son get involved in high school sports.  The daughter wasn't under such restrictions and she pioneered.  Everyone in our congregation was worried about the boy because of the worldly influences he was exposed to.  Flash forward to adulthood - the boy grew up to be an elder and serves in a foreign-language congregation.  The daughter left the Truth, married a worldly man in an Assyrian Christian church.

Sorry for getting off topic.   :offtopic:

Was there a time when it was okay, or was I just misinformed?

Either way, I can't imagine this BSA policy change will affect too many of our young brothers!  LOL!

Emily, I was taught more or less the same, although Boy Scouts are not so popular where I live.

However, having a look at our publications, they say very little about them, and nothing specific. So I guess it's just a personal choice. Apart from having or not a connection with the military, I agree with the comments that it doesn't seem wise to send your children to spend so much time out of home with non-Witnesses. But one thing is an unwise choice and a different one is violating a Bible principle. :)

US Boy Scouts is a patriotic organization designed to instill pride in country and community in its members.  It's a bit more than just some casual social group.

For over a century, the BSA has helped build the future leaders of this country by combining educational activities and lifelong values with fun. The Boy Scouts of America believes — and, through over a century of experience, knows — that helping youth is a key to building a more conscientious, responsible, and productive society. http://www.scouting.org/About.aspx http://www.scouting.org/About.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

And there is the answer:

(CNN)The Mormon church will remain affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America despite the organization's decision to allow gay troop leaders, church officials announced Wednesday.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said it's decided to continue its affiliation with the Boy Scouts because of written and verbal assurances that the church can choose their own troop leaders according to their own religious and moral values "in word and deed and who will best inculcate the organization's values through the Scouting program."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/living/mormon-church-stay-boy-scouts-feat/index.html

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....