JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

It's a dog gone day.  About three months ago,a neighbor asked me to take care of his dog, Kasha, for a day or two. The neighbor has developed serious medical problems and I have had the dog all this time, and of course, fell in love with her. Problem: she couldn't stay in a house without an adult. She would whine and bark incessantly, whether alone or with another dog, and the neighbors could not take it. This was compromising my service time. The owner left decisions up to his (our) groomer. The groomer has another client whose dog has an inoperable condition and that dog's owner-daddy is home all day, and he would love another small dog. No easy placement as Kasha is 12 y/o. I have been crying all afternoon (but not in front of the dogs). The groomer picked up Kasha about a half hour ago. Sniff, sniff, must be my allergies. I know one thing, I could never provide canine foster care. :sweat:   

I also think I may be developing la tortuga syndrome as there are forum posts that I don't quite remember entering. Maybe a touch of some-timers. Or maybe that is not what la tortuga syndrome is. I forget. 

I also think I may be developing la tortuga syndrome as there are forum posts that I don't quite remember entering. Maybe a touch of some-timers. Or maybe that is not what la tortuga syndrome is. I forget. 

TS is characterized by occasional some-timers, what-timers and frequent here-afters. Sorry to hear you have the early stages of Tortuga Syndrome. 

Stage 2 is recognized by not understanding your own jokes...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It's a dog gone day.  About three months ago,a neighbor asked me to take care of his dog, Kasha, for a day or two. The neighbor has developed serious medical problems and I have had the dog all this time, and of course, fell in love with her. Problem: she couldn't stay in a house without an adult. She would whine and bark incessantly, whether alone or with another dog, and the neighbors could not take it. This was compromising my service time. The owner left decisions up to his (our) groomer. The groomer has another client whose dog has an inoperable condition and that dog's owner-daddy is home all day, and he would love another small dog. No easy placement as Kasha is 12 y/o. I have been crying all afternoon (but not in front of the dogs). The groomer picked up Kasha about a half hour ago. Sniff, sniff, must be my allergies. I know one thing, I could never provide canine foster care. :sweat:   

:squeeze:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

You do get attached to those furry beings, don't you?

Earlier this year we "fostered" two young dogs for a friend (and sister). Her husband was a well-respected breeder/trainer of German Shepherds (we got our two girls from him and attended many basic obedience classes at his place). Sadly, he died in an accident in September. At that time he had two litters of puppies on the premises, and a third litter was born just days after the accident. He had planned to keep a number of the dogs for either training in personal protection work, or to be titled in Schutzhund and used in his breeding program, so did not have buyers in place for these litters.  Anyways... his widow was left with eight puppies to find homes for. When she went back to work in January, we took in one of the puppies, then six months old. I networked her picture and profile and was able to find a lovely home for her within one week. Then we took in her littermate, who stayed with us for about a month. Even having them with us for such a short time, it was bitter-sweet to say goodbye to them.

Edited by Sylv

I happen to be captive to a cat, Mz Kitty Starbright Michael Jackson, yup, named by a grandaughter....we just call her Kitty..lol

We were asked to watch her for a few days, about4. 5 years ago. Currently, she's sitting on a chair about 10foot from me, watching. ..I think she knows I'm talking about her. .

My son in law, a year or so back, mentioned taking her back

NOPE...Your lease has expired, she is mine now.

He looked at me a little askance so I gave him an option.

You can fight me for her---

Me-6'-3"...about 220pounds,retired ironworker and heavy eq mech...

Him- Maybe 5'-10"..about 165, works as a factory manager, can pick up a pencil with amazing dexterity.

Nothing more has ever been said about it..lol

• 2 weeks later...

First: update on Kasha - Her owner, Tony, passed away and the groomer kept Kasha. Tony previously 'hated' witnesses, but got to be friends with a couple of "us" in the neighborhood, and accepted a Bible Teach book.  Before he deceased, I was able to tell him that our C.O. mentioned we could either walk into the new world or wake up in it. That's about as far as I could get with him. The groomer takes Kasha to work as Kasha will not stay home alone (with two other dogs). On the day of Tony's viewing, I had Kasha out with my dogs.

Second: My small dog, Baby Girl, has gone all summer without a single flea or hot spot, UNTIL NOW. Still no fleas, but she has two small hot spots. I sprayed her with hydrocortisone and have been using allergy meds. I also put neosporin on her spots.  A home visiting dog practitioner is coming tomorrow, b/c the groomer could not cut all of her nails two weeks ago (two nails to go). Baby Girl's a feisty one.  She's up to date on flea control and everything else.  I may have asked this before, but can the need to have glands expressed cause a dog to scratch all over? She doesn't scoot or smell badly. 

I take care of mom's toy poodle "Prince Charles". After her death she willed him to my son Jonathan but he can't take care of him so I am stuck. The little twirp insists on following me everywhere I go. His food dish is on a rug in front of the TV and he will not eat unless I am in the room sitting in my recliner. If I even try to get up he stops eating and will not resume till I relax and he is convinced I will not leave. He is about the sweetest little twirp but I really hate having a shadow. Not!

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

The lady who comes around is a certified vet tech. She was not able to cut Babygirl's two undone toe nails, b/c my little doggie was so hard to handle. Vet tech says Babygirl's itching is allergies and I should have the vet do the gland expression and have the vet cut her other two nails.   :blink:

The lady who comes around is a certified vet tech. She was not able to cut Babygirl's two undone toe nails, b/c my little doggie was so hard to handle. Vet tech says Babygirl's itching is allergies and I should have the vet do the gland expression and have the vet cut her other two nails.   :blink:

Is there potato in her food? The formula was changed in Charlie's food to include potato and he itched all over and he started loosing hair. The vet was unaware that some dogs cannot tolerate potato.

I take care of mom's toy poodle "Prince Charles". After her death she willed him to my son Jonathan but he can't take care of him so I am stuck. The little twirp insists on following me everywhere I go. His food dish is on a rug in front of the TV and he will not eat unless I am in the room sitting in my recliner. If I even try to get up he stops eating and will not resume till I relax and he is convinced I will not leave. He is about the sweetest little twirp but I really hate having a shadow. Not!

Our Mugzie is the same. He gets a couple big spoons of wet dog food and about a third of a cup of dry food morning and night. 

Pugs are like little pigs, he gulps down the wet food in a couple of gulps, but won't eat the dry food unless we are present.

If we are in the next room he will go get a mouthful and come to where we are and drop it on the floor and eat it one piece at a time, then go back and repeat the process.

If we aren't home he leaves the dry food untouched all day until we return. 12 hours when we go to the CA.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Is there potato in her food? The formula was changed in Charlie's food to include potato and he itched all over and he started loosing hair. The vet was unaware that some dogs cannot tolerate potato.

No potato.I just cooked a fresh chicken breast, for both of our dinner. 

My girls finish their food and are waiting for their desert (frozen pumpkin) before I'm quite done putting everything away :D (they are raw fed, and get a variety of supplements added, some of which are kept in the fridge, others in a cupboard, and the empty ziplock bag that had the meat in it is taken directly to the garbage in the garage).

What kind of natural treats do you give your dog? Charlie loves frozen blueberries. Not the ones with added sugar you buy in the store but ones we put up ourselves. If I pour out a ½ cup full, he expects his share. He lets me know if he thinks he is being short changed. He doesn't bark but he woofs.

Can't feed Mugzie blueberry treats, have very light colored carpet.

Most dogs love grapes, I think we may have done in our Great Dane that way, she loved grapes

Found out that was not a good idea, grapes are a poison to dogs.

Mugzie likes all natural dried Italian salami.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I got to see Kasha today, with the groomer. The groomer gave BabyGirl an oatmeal bath two weeks ago, saw no sign of a single flea or need for gland expression. I'm now convinced she needs gland expression. The earliest appointment I could get with the vet was for Monday morn.She is quite uncomfortable with the itching and the hot spots. I am giving her the vet  prescribed amount of Benadryl, but she has been hiding under the bed quite a bit, does not want me to apply anything. Her tummy is warm and i put calming (oatmeal) lotion on it earlier, but she is not having it. I also tried a clay poultice that I bought for this reason: no help.  I have a cotton flannel antimicrobial pajama ensemble that I put on her. It's a step in with velcro on the back, covers her tummy, has two arms covered and has a little mandarin collar that impedes her head movement a bit.  I tried to make a towel e-collar, but she outsmarted me. I hate to see her in discomfort til Monday. She still eats, drinks, and walks on schedule. I'm keeping the AC on in case the extra garment makes her too warm. Heavy sigh. 

My baby boy dog, Boo, was doing the same thing with hiding under the bed for the days before he passed away at age 5. Of course, I am overly emotional about BabyGirl's hiding under the bed. Monday can't come soon enough.  :ph34r: