JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone into Photography

Okay, I may have bit off more than I can chew. I bought a Nikon D3300. I want to achieve better pictures. 

I raise show quality toy poodles and want to show them off to the best of my ability. When my hubby and I go to dog shows I would like to get quality pics that I will be able to show off my toy poodles with. This will help my sells and also help me see the fine points of how well my poodles movements are. 

Anyway I need help. I am used to digital cameras and so I bought this camera and it came in today and now I realize that I have to buy a lens for it before I can start using it. So I just ordered a 55-200mm DX AF-S mainly because it wasn't as costly as some of the others. 

I don't even understand what DX AF-S means. Ugh. 

I truly want to learn how to use this camera, I know it will take some time and that I will be on Auto for awhile until I learn more. 

If anyone wants to talk about cameras and photography, I am a sponge that wants to soak up as much as I am able. 

Thanks ahead of time. 

Whenever I get stuck with technology I find youtube an excellent tutor - it is for this purpose youtube really shines. Our washing machine broke down we were about to buy another one - he goes onto youtube it told him how to fix it and its still working now.

So i would put in the specs and see what comes up.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Hi Sister Deenna,

I also enjoy Photography but I am just a beginner.

But I thought you would appreciate a good referral.  :)

Please send a PM to:  

"Sister Jewel"

http://jwtalk.net/forums/user/2301-jewelz/

She is great, having a lot of experience in Photography and very knowledgeable.

She will be more than happy to help you!

I learned quite a bit from her in just a few messages with her.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Glass.. glass.. glass  in front of the camera is very important.

I am into photography for years now and came to realization that lens is very important when it comes to the quality of the pictures

My favorite at the moment is Canon 70-200 F4 (paid a small fortune for it ha ha )

Today's sensors are quite advanced so the only way to improve the quality of the photos is the GLASS and there is a big difference between cheap lenses and good ones

Also prime lenses produce better quality photos then zoom ones although some zoom lenses are very good as well.

What type of photography do you prefer ? portraits ? landscape ?

Because each field of photography will require different type of lens.

Sorry to say but the lens that you have purchased is a lower grade glass so to speak and you can't expect high-quality results from it (there is a reason why is cheap)

It will take reasonable photos but that's it.

To freeze the movement of your poodles you need "fast glass"  F2.8 for example ...

F2.8 is fast lens

F5.6 much slower

Good budget lenses that I would consider :

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f1.8G Lenses

Better one below

Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8G ED

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f1.4G Lenses

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G Lenses

Best below

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G Lenses (around $2200)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f4G ED VR ($1500) I am Canon user so please check your camera body compatibility with those lenses.  

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Best set of videos ever on everything photography is here.

All for free.

You will learn composition, lenses, light etc etc etc. All very clear.

I have done photography for years yet watching his videos made it crystal clear to me why I do certain things and he does it in a way anyone can understand.

I cannot recommend this enough.

http://www.photographycourses.biz/cgi-bin/showpage.fcgi

He also has a YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/photoexposed

Edited by Mykyl

All for free.

I have done photography for years yet watching his videos made it crystal clear to me why I do certain things and he does it in a way anyone can understand.

I try to follow the link and I get this :  Oops! Something isn't quite right

But second one is working fine !

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Hi Sister Deenna,

I also enjoy Photography but I am just a beginner.

But I thought you would appreciate a good referral.  :)

Please send a PM to:  

"Sister Jewel"

http://jwtalk.net/forums/user/2301-jewelz/

She is great, having a lot of experience in Photography and very knowledgeable.

She will be more than happy to help you!

I learned quite a bit from her in just a few messages with her.

Thank you so much Neil, I will pm Sister Jewel. 

Glass.. glass.. glass  in front of the camera is very important.

I am into photography for years now and came to realization that lens is very important when it comes to the quality of the pictures

My favorite at the moment is Canon 70-200 F4 (paid a small fortune for it ha ha )

Today's sensors are quite advanced so the only way to improve the quality of the photos is the GLASS and there is a big difference between cheap lenses and good ones

Also prime lenses produce better quality photos then zoom ones although some zoom lenses are very good as well.

What type of photography do you prefer ? portraits ? landscape ?

Because each field of photography will require different type of lens.

Sorry to say but the lens that you have purchased is a lower grade glass so to speak and you can't expect high-quality results from it (there is a reason why is cheap)

It will take reasonable photos but that's it.

To freeze the movement of your poodles you need "fast glass"  F2.8 for example ...

F2.8 is fast lens

F5.6 much slower

Good budget lenses that I would consider :

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f1.8G Lenses

Better one below

Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8G ED

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f1.4G Lenses

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G Lenses

Best below

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G Lenses (around $2200)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f4G ED VR ($1500) I am Canon user so please check your camera body compatibility with those lenses.  

Thank you so much Greg. I figured I didn't get a great lens at first but didn't want to spend a lot until I had an opinion from someone who knew. Thanks so much for this list!

I will be taking pics of puppies that move all the time and we will also take pics at the dog shows where most are held indoors so there won't be any natural light. I want to get some good pics of my poodle's movement when working in the ring. 

It will mostly be of movement.

I have been videoing with a digital and then getting the movement shot off the video but the picture quality is grainy. 

All for free.

Thanks Mike, for the videos. I do learn a lot better from watching videos!!!

Thank you so much Greg. I figured I didn't get a great lens at first but didn't want to spend a lot until I had an opinion from someone who knew. Thanks so much for this list!

I will be taking pics of puppies that move all the time and we will also take pics at the dog shows where most are held indoors so there won't be any natural light. I want to get some good pics of my poodle's movement when working in the ring. 

It will mostly be of movement.

I have been videoing with a digital and then getting the movement shot off the video but the picture quality is grainy. 

Low light .. movement .. please get fast lens F1.8 or F2.8 

Have you considered Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash  ??? Tripod ?

Le't put it mildly ...photography is not cheap hobby :D

Low light .. movement .. please get fast lens F1.8 or F2.8 

Have you considered Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash  ??? Tripod ?

Le't put it mildly ...photography is not cheap hobby :D

haha, this is exactly why I need help. Ugh. 

Okay I looked up F1.8 and I get 50mm and 45mm and there is 18-35mm, so if I were spend the money on one lens for taking pics of my poodles which one would you recommend?

I would like to get used to one or two lenses for awhile and then see how creative I want to get after that. 

Okay I looked up F1.8 and I get 50mm and 45mm and there is 18-35mm, so if I were spend the money on one lens for taking pics of my poodles which one would you recommend?

I would like to get used to one or two lenses for awhile and then see how creative I want to get after that. 

18-35 mm will give you more flexibility because of the zoom ...  but is F1.8 constant regardless of zoom ? because on many zooms F1.8 will be only on 18mm and once you move to 35mm jumps to F3.5 - F4 etc.

Primes like 45 mm and 50 mm will generally produce sharper photos but are they "stabilized' ? and again to frame the photo on the prime you need to walk more due to the lack of zoom

So there is trade off here and there ..  I will look into the lenses ( I am CANON user so I have to do some digging on Nikon lenses etc)  and I will send you more info because right now is getting late 11.20 pm and I have ministry in the morning

I but my lenses from Hong Kong from DWI Camera (good store I save a lot)

I am not sure of US prices in your country etc

Sigma makes good lenses too ... I will keep you posted.

Okay Greg or anybody, 

For a decent lens to take photos of my poodles and grandbabies too. Would this be the right lens for me to start out with?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y1AYAC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=jenuinimpres-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004Y1AYAC

I would consider Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f1.8G Lenses due to the price $200.

But I don't think the lens is stabilized therefore practice is needed to use it effectively

see the link from DWI store http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/astore/Nikon-AF-S-DX-Nikkor-35mm-f18G-Lenses.aspx

Okay Greg or anybody, 

For a decent lens to take photos of my poodles and grandbabies too. Would this be the right lens for me to start out with?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y1AYAC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=jenuinimpres-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004Y1AYAC

Simple answer is YES but because this lens is not stabilized you need a bit of practice to use it .. I would get 35mm for similar price (less walking while framing)

Thanks Sister Deenna for starting this topic.

Its good to see we have a variety of brothers/sisters who are

knowledgeable about photography.

I hope others continue to post suggestions, advice, help, videos, etc.

Thanks Brother Mike for the videos!  :)

And great advice and knowledge Brother Greg, look forward to learning more from you!  :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I shot photos professionally for many years...

1) watch YouTube videos

2) equipment is less important than vision..

I have shot large format gallery shots with a 3 meg camera ... A great cook can cook on almost anything..

3) great photos are about composition.. Technique ..lighting.. and Vision..

4) I was trained with film ... Digital is so much easier.. But the tendency is to take tons of shots ... Mostly garbage.. So visualize what you want .. And keep adjusting till you get it..

It is all about training your brain to see the shot...

5) it is true good glass is wonderful.. But even a cheap lens stopped down to 5.6 or 8 will give you a great shot..

6)practice... Practice .. Practice... Till you are one with your camera .. So that you are not thinking about the tool .. But the art you are producing...

And have fun

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I shot photos professionally for many years...

1) watch YouTube videos

2) equipment is less important than vision..

I have shot large format gallery shots with a 3 meg camera ... A great cook can cook on almost anything..

3) great photos are about composition.. Technique ..lighting.. and Vision..

4) I was trained with film ... Digital is so much easier.. But the tendency is to take tons of shots ... Mostly garbage.. So visualize what you want .. And keep adjusting till you get it..

It is all about training your brain to see the shot...

5) it is true good glass is wonderful.. But even a cheap lens stopped down to 5.6 or 8 will give you a great shot..

6)practice... Practice .. Practice... Till you are one with your camera .. So that you are not thinking about the tool .. But the art you are producing...

And have fun

You are living in a wonderful part of the world for photography !

I agree with your post especially when you say that in a digital age people shoot millions of photos ...

I engage my brain when on the shooting trip ... I shoot selectively

I love my glass though ha ha ha !