JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I have had houseplants that lived for about 5 years, but died during the last extreme winter. I bought some annuals that were for full sun, and they did not make it through the summer. I do have sun-facing windows, but have to keep the shades drawn frequently, because my small dog gets distracted when seeing people outside and barks her brains out. If she doesn't see what's going on, she's fine. Sometimes I have the shades drawn b/c of my migraines. So, is there a category of plant I should look for?  

I have had houseplants that lived for about 5 years, but died during the last extreme winter. I bought some annuals that were for full sun, and they did not make it through the summer. I do have sun-facing windows, but have to keep the shades drawn frequently, because my small dog gets distracted when seeing people outside and barks her brains out. If she doesn't see what's going on, she's fine. Sometimes I have the shades drawn b/c of my migraines. So, is there a category of plant I should look for?  

Cacti?

Snake plant can survive most any conditions.(AKA Mother in laws tongue) Ivy in pots are pretty forgiving. Ferns are fussy, but not having full sun would be fine for them. They need a mist once in a while. Believe it or not, the orchids , they sort of have a different life style, but can take light, but not direct light.And once you catch on to their little life style, do nicely, with little fussing.

Cactus? I love them. You can get so many different plants, and if treated okay, will give you beautiful blossoms.

I have a strawberry begonia that was given to me in the 60's. They are fun. As they turn to the sun, you flip them around, and have such a pretty plant. I have to admit, it hasn't blossemed in a long time. But, it is one of my favorites.

My plants are of a survival of the fittest sort. But I have lots, and enjoy them. Aloe can grow pretty much where you put it. I have mine sort of by a window, and it seems to be thriving. What i have found out is that I caan kill plants easier by over watering them vs. not watering them enough. If they aren't bright green, or a tad droopy, they get watered.

I take pictures of my plants, so be forewarned. i have done in many a plant. But, I sure enjoy what I do have.

I try not to get expensive ones. The death knell. And, if $ is involved to any extent, ouch. So, I get little ones, ones from friends, and even actually start a lot from plants I have. Especially the cactus. Then I share. One of the gifts Jehovah has given me that I really enjoy.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!