JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My vine and fig tree

I have 5 rows. Its harvest time. I pick them by hand. I got attacked by hornets twice now. I dropped my bucket of grapes and ran. There has been a swarm over the bucket for a week straight. Thousands of them. I dont know what to do. Im gonna lose my grapes. I tried spraying a couple cans of killer but it didnt seem to stop most of them. I cant get close! I want to make some wine. Its already smelling like wine from all the fermenting grapes on the ground. What a waste!

I have my fig tree on the other side of the yard! Its done for the year

Cant get photo to upload. Will keep trying.

Edited by User_123

I really love the pic. It's beautiful. I hope you find a beekeeper. However if it's hornets or the like a beekeeper might not help.

Is there a nest or are they just drawn to the grapes? Go out at night and shoot the nest, if you have one, with beebop. MH uses it at work, he's a logger and they've stirred up a lot of underground nests this year. Beebop shoots far and is the thing they use.

I don't know what's in beebop so maybe make sure it's not toxic first.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I really love the pic. It's beautiful. I hope you find a beekeeper. However if it's hornets or the like a beekeeper might not help.

Is there a nest or are they just drawn to the grapes? Go out at night and shoot the nest, if you have one, with beebop. MH uses it at work, he's a logger and they've stirred up a lot of underground nests this year. Beebop shoots far and is the thing they use.

I don't know what's in beebop so maybe make sure it's not toxic first.

I think its an underground nest. And the toxic chemicals worry me. I domt want it on the grapes. But its probably my only option. Its almost too late. I got over 30 stings. At first i wasnt allergic but i may be now. My last stings resulted in a bad reaction and swelling for days.

Take your benadryl and epi-pen!

Seriously, if it's in ground it'd be almost easier. Call the local extension service and they'd have some real good ideas too. MH just said to try to observe them where you got stung the worst. That way you can find the hole where they're going in.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

MH just said to try to observe them where you got stung the worst. That way you can find the hole where they're going in.

You mean like his left ear or belly button?

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Oh my goodness!!! I really did it this time didn't I!!! Haa haa haaa! 

I was burning my breakfast when I wrote this and had to hurry up, oh dear. 

Well, MH meant to go back to the spot in the grape patch where he got stung and see if he can notice where they're coming out of. Where they are the thickest,

where he got stung, is the place to start looking for the nest. He may have more than 1 nest.

Oh my sorry for sounding so lame.....someone had to do it today, guess it was my turn.

Oh my goodness!!! I really did it this time didn't I!!! Haa haa haaa! 

I was burning my breakfast when I wrote this and had to hurry up, oh dear. 

Well, MH meant to go back to the spot in the grape patch where he got stung and see if he can notice where they're coming out of. Where they are the thickest,

where he got stung, is the place to start looking for the nest. He may have more than 1 nest.

Oh my sorry for sounding so lame.....someone had to do it today, guess it was my turn.

I knew what you were saying but like a kid and a hornets nest I couldn't help but poke a stick at it... :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

If you want to spray the hornets naturally it won't kill them as fast as chemical but it will get rid of them. 

You need to buy real turpentine which is from pine tree oil. Add oregano oil. Rosemary oil. then real apple cider vinegar unfiltered and dawn liquid soap. 

Also if you can get neem oil that will help too. 

Another thing you can add is citrus peelings- grapefruit, Lemon, oranges. take the peelings and simmer them in water for approx. 30 minutes. 

The dawn soap helps it to stick onto areas for a long time. 

This does work and I use about 1/2c real turpentine, (I buy oregano and rosemary in capsules so I use approx. 6 each) 1 cup real apple cider vinegar, I just squirt in 3-4 squirts or Dawn and then use my quart pan to boil the citrus peels and pour that in and add neem oil(just a few capsules)

I can spray at any wasp or hornet and they are dead in less than 20 minutes, this concoction is good for the ground and anything growing will really thrive with contact. 

I mainly use this concoction for ticks and fleas but found that it killed wasps and other critter real well also without harming me or my animals. 

Deena, I just may make this for the guys next year. This is exceptional! I really love this.

The bee population here in WA state have been off the charts. Pretty much all kinds of bees. And they're around me all the time as I work in the yard and garden and even in the kitchen canning foods, if I don't panic I don't get stung. That and I'm not standing on their nest!! (I have stood on a nest before while I was weed whacking, swarmed by bees and they still didn't bite, so thankful)     :praying:  :worship:  :praying:  :worship:

I saved this recipe to my desktop, I'll make it for the fleas alone!! Which have been relentless and nearly impossible to kill this year.

Edited by bagwell1987

Talking about bees, there was a swarm somewhere around our apartment last spring. At night lone bees would come in and buzz around the light. Our cocker spaniel would eat them when the came near the ground. One time a lot of bees were buzzing around the outside light and the next day we saw the ground covered in dead bees. 

I hope you can enjoy those grapes after all!

Did you get to the grapes in time?

Nope. Theres probably a bit left but now this hurricane is drenching us for the next 3 days. What a waste. It is a LOT of grapes, hundreds of gallons. I waited too long this year bc i was busy, then the hornets.

Its a shame, this is the last year i have w my grapes. Developers are buying my land and will doze them away. Im going to collect some cuttings though. I think i may try a propogation technique called air layering to get a few roots. Gotta research it, not sure if i have time enough, gotta be outta here by feb. The vines are very old. They need a real good pruning. But they put out real heavy.

My property smells like a winery w all the wasted grapes:(

Edited by User_123