JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Read: Smartphones can ruin romantic relationships and increase depression:

I agree with that entirely. But I think it's ruining more than just romantic relationships. It's ruining all kinds of relationships. Two friends are at lunch together (of any genders), and one has to eat alone while the other talks almost the whole time on the phone! Or, I often see two people walking next to each other on the street, and they're both on their cellphones! What are they walking together for? (Unless they're talking to each other on their phones.) Sometimes I'm the object of such treatment. I feel very miffed if I'm with someone who, all of a sudden, absolutely has to take this call coming in. He says it's someone important calling him. Don't you think that would make me feel less important? I feel for others who have to go along with that same kind of treatment.

It's the "invisibility" that causes the problem. When you're with someone who is on their cellphone, you can't see the person on the other end of the line, or hear them. So you feel left out of the conversation. It's like something is being hidden from you. If that person on the phone was there with the two of you, at least you would be able to see them and hear what the conversation is about. You would also be more likely to contribute to the conversation if you wanted. The phone creates a barrier to that. No wonder the researchers note their findings on depression.

My new grand daughter-in-law was riding back with us from a district convention. Every one in the car was talking about a great day at the convention. She on the other hand was totally involved it texting,  ignoring the conversations going on around her.

She got very car sick from looking at her phone while riding down I5, straight as a board. 

I took silent glee at her predicament.

My bad. :(  :(  :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Cell phones can be a blessing in disguise......sometimes. But when your family, I. e., children want you to carry on a conversation, is not acceptable! If they can text while conversing, that makes them think they are multi-tasking. Not a great way to show respect, in my book.

And yes, I have a cell phone. But if another party rings in while I am chatting with someone else, I let the second call go to voicemail. They have to mind their manners and wait their turn!!!!!            :uhhuh:                      

My husband is on his phone non stop. He is really into social media and games. He even gets out of bed at night to be on his phone. Also it is all he takes to meetings. I feel very alienated by him. I've tried to talk to him about it but he just gets very angry. Bless Jehovah though, he keeps me company.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not good, Tracy...

I heard an interview today on the radio. A former politician is now involved in a group called 'Beyond Blue', which is about depression and suicide.

Overview page: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2015/10/09/4328347.htm

Podcast: click on 'Download audio' just below the header.

During the interview he mentions the great damage being done by smart phones and similar devices among young girls. You will have to listen to hear what he has to say. While you're there you will hear a great comment about being thankful for every day of life we have.

Edited by RaymondG

Thank you. I have bipolar and have first hand experience learning how precious life is. I do agree smart phones can be very damaging. Just this morning I was accused of not talking to my spouse. It seems when I do go to talk with him he is on his phone. In the past I talked to him about the phone use, conversation didn't go well. He has chosen that phone over me many times. When we talk I do all the talking anyway. When he is ready to put the phone down I'm here. I've found other ways to communicate with him that don't cause so much trouble.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk