JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stock Market

I'm looking for opinions about the stock market and investing in the stock market.

What's your opinion?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/8-lessons-from-80-years-of-market-history-2014-11-19

GREAT article!

In the stock market, you can invest in popular growth stocks or unloved value stocks. You can invest in big companies (large-cap) or small companies (small-cap). You can invest in U.S. stocks or in international stocks; you can also invest in emerging markets stocks and real-estate investment trusts.

According to the experts, more than 90% of your ultimate investment return depends on your choices of asset classes. (This assumes that you invest money and leave it invested. If you move in and out of your investments, then your results are totally unpredictable.)

.....(SEE article for the 8 lessons bullet-ed here)

Because of the third lesson I outlined, it's impossible to know which asset class will do best next week, next month, next year or even next decade. But there's magic in combining all four of these in one portfolio. Over 84 years from 1930 through 2013, this Group of Four boosted the annual return from 9.7% to 12%.

If you think that's not a big deal, here's the math: A $1,000 investment in 1930 (equivalent to $14,084 in today's dollars) grew to $2.4 million at 9.7% -- or to $13.6 million at 12%.

My annualized return for the previous 10 years - using a mix of classes - has been 12.2%. That includes the market down turn  :eek: Get that from a savings account  :nope: 

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

GREAT article!

Thanks. I'm looking for the friends opinions, I'm curious about how the forum members feel about investing in the stock market.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have heard that Mutual Funds are one of the best ways to go.

That said, I know some who think that the stock market if no different then playing the lottery - they view it as gambling.

I have known others who invest.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks. I'm looking for the friends opinions, I'm curious about how the forum members feel about investing in the stock market.

Well, I guess you know how i feel  :thumbsup: Do anything else to save up for a retirement is throwing your money away - IMO.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Well, I guess you know how i feel   :thumbsup: Do anything else to save up for a retirement is throwing your money away - IMO.

How is the YTD on your portfolio?

That said, I know some who think that the stock market if no different then playing the lottery - they view it as gambling.

I have known others who invest.

That's what I'm curious about. I know some that feel the same way and I was wondering how the forum members felt.

Even with the ups and downs it saved our retirement fund. Let it ride and it seems to come back each time. Have had cause to worry, but figured if we lost everything we would be far from the front of the line.

Not so good with an inherited fund in a bank corporation.

That went from $80 a share to zero in 8 weeks, one of the first failures. Since we had not made the original investment there was nothing to cry over.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Even with the ups and downs it saved our retirement fund. Let it ride and it seems to come back each time. 

Agreed. Mine has taken a few dips but always comes back.

I invest in Dirt; Real Estate, that is. I've only lost money one time. But, I sure hate paying the taxes.

In a way, so do I but it's through REITs.

Hi Brother Richard,

Interesting topic you started, I like it.

I have a feeling you may get a wide range of opinions.

Over the years I have heard various brothers/sisters compare the Stock Market to "Gambling".

And yet I also know a variety of brothers that invest in the Stock Market and have had success.

So here is my opinion:

I guess I could classify my opinion in this way:

GAMBLING

When gambling a person is not giving money for a product or item, the person is giving his money to "chance".

But when a person invests in the Stock Market, this is not gambling, because he/she will receive goods in exchange for money.

HIGH RISK INVESTING or SPECULATING

If a person does not know much about the Stock Market or does little research when he invests in certain stocks or products,

then when he/she invests their money it could be called "high risk investing".

This is not gambling but it would be the next thing to gambling as he/she is almost just giving away their money to "chance" as they have very little knowledge of the product/company/history/market/etc.

Just speculating that a company's stock will rise or that gold will jump in price has great risk because

it is more of a guess or a hunch, versus wise investing.

WISE INVESTING

Risk does not mean gambling.

There are a variety of things we might do in life that some would consider a "risk", like buying a house, yet this is not gambling.

So while there is always some risk when investing in the Stock Market,

if a person has researched well, performed good analysis of the stock/product/market/etc, 

then the risk is minimized and a good return on the investment is more likely.

And in reality, we all do some "investing" at times, if we have bought a car or home. These "investments" should also have had good research done or we might get a "lemon" - losing on our investment.

GREEDY INVESTING

But then a person could do a great amount of research and analysis, even doing more than most people,

but if the motive behind the investing and research has to do with desiring wealth or becoming rich,

then for a Christian, although investing is not gambling, it would be best for this person to

refrain from investing.

Here are some excellent points made by the FDS to help us be balanced with this issue:

======================================================================================

*** g01 6/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***
Stock Market  
Thank you for the balanced article “Is It Wise to Invest in the Stock Market?” (October 8, 2000) Experience has taught me to be careful of dubious stock tips. They often lead to greater losses. Before buying stocks, it is wise to consider the general market situation.

N. B., Germany
I disagree with the assertion that investing in the stock market is not putting one’s trust in “the god of Good Luck.” (Isaiah 65:11) Putting one’s money into a volatile system that operates entirely at random is gambling.

P. B., United States
Admittedly, investing in the stock market can carry a high degree of risk. And, as with any business venture, random factors are involved. However, it would not be accurate to say that trading stocks is gambling. Gambling involves the exchange of money without any exchange of real goods. A stock, however, represents an actual share in the ownership of a business. Trading stocks can thus be viewed as the buying and selling of legitimate goods.—ED.

*** g00 10/8 p. 25 Is It Wise to Invest in the Stock Market? ***
On the other hand, some financial advisers are alarmed by the eagerness of many to invest in a market that they may know very little about. One investment dealer with over 38 years of experience in the securities industry told Awake!:
“More people are buying into the stock market as speculators, not investors. Some may call it investing, but they don’t know anything about the company [whose stock] they are buying and selling.”

*** g03 8/22 p. 29 Watching the World ***
“Stock trading addicts” are now commanding the attention of one German therapist, reports the Hamburg newspaper Die Welt. According to addiction counselor Joachim Otto, the addicts were lured by the “euphoric appeal of quick profit.” They engaged in stock trading “for fear they would otherwise miss the chance of a lifetime” but then lost control and got hooked by “the terrific speed of transfers, the risk, the permanent state of excitement.” Now many have large debts. Without the knowledge of their wives, some have gambled away all their savings or mortgaged their home. Most go for therapy only when their families cannot stand it any longer.

*** g00 10/8 p. 27 Is It Wise to Invest in the Stock Market? ***
Investment advisers urge potential investors to consider a company’s past record and future prospects, the demand for its products, competition from other businesses, and several other factors before selecting a firm’s stock. This information is often available through stockbrokers and other financial institutions. Many investors consult with financial planners before purchasing stock. By considering the background of a company, an investor can also ensure that his money will not be used to support an unethical enterprise.—See Awake!, February 8, 1962, pages 21-3.

*** g00 10/8 p. 27 Is It Wise to Invest in the Stock Market? ***
A Balanced Attitude Toward Money
In a desire to provide for their immediate and future needs, some have decided to invest in the stock market.
One’s motive for making such financial decisions is important

How a person chooses to invest his money is a personal decision. Guided by a sound mind and contentment with the necessities of life, an investor does well to keep financial concerns in their place, not neglecting his or her family responsibilities and spiritual needs.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Over the years I have heard various brothers/sisters compare the Stock Market to "Gambling".

And yet I also know a variety of brothers that invest in the Stock Market and have had success.

So here is my opinion:

Thanks for investing some time into a well balanced reply. I also suspect that i will eventually get a wide variety of comments and I'm interested in every ones opinions. I also know some friends that have decided that investing in the stock market is wrong, it may be that have heard things or it may be from personal experience. I know others that have 'played' the stock market and either 'won' or 'lost'. I know others that think it is a solid use of their assets.

The rate of return on this discussion will be interesting..

Hi Brother Richard,

Interesting topic you started, I like it.

GREEDY INVESTING

But then a person could do a great amount of research and analysis, even doing more than most people,

but if the motive behind the investing and research has to do with desiring wealth or becoming rich,

then for a Christian, although investing is not gambling, it would be best for this person to

refrain from investing.

Here are some excellent points made by the FDS to help us be balanced with this issue:

Than you 'Beggar of the Spirit."

When a sister called me to tell about an absolutely great financial scheme, I was some what taken aback. It though deemed legal, it was being promoted by an elder, it was 'a sure thing.' She and her husband had already borrowed a thousand dollars an invested it. To me it looked like a pyramid scheme dolled up with a little legalize. 

I called the CO for advice. He said legal or not, GREED is always wrong and to immediately notify the elders in the sister's congregation. They followed up, the pyramid collapsed, the sister lost her money and the elder his position.

One way to separate gambling from investments is to follow the money. Gambling is financed by taking money from the losers, somebody else's money. In investing all shareholders  share the profit or the loss. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

One way to separate gambling from investments is to follow the money. Gambling is financed by taking money from the losers, somebody else's money. In investing all shareholders  share the profit or the loss. 

There are a lot of horror stories where someone got involved in something they shouldn't have. A lot of friends are very comfortable with investing their money but no one should ever think that is a blanket recommendation for every investment or scheme.

If some one decides to invest in the stock market they obviously need to take the time to understand the difference between a solid investment plan and some risky investment scheme.

the stock markets are artificially inflated and one big phony bubble, so invest wisely. the air will soon come out! pretty risky in short to mid term. varying opinions on gold however. usually gold is inversely proportional to stocks and currency.

paradise.eternity.glory

I'm looking for opinions about the stock market and investing in the stock market.

What's your opinion?

It is all about the 2 letters my brother and they are G and R. G stands for gravity and that means what comes up must go down. And R stands for  rip offs. Be careful my brother.

The great reset is coming......  every monetary system of this world will go blank when the kingdom reveals itself.   user beware.  all we want is to get there. The more your in this system the more you will lose when the kingdom arrives.  The less you have of this system the more you will gain when the new system gets here.  Everyone decide for your self how to be balanced.  Just don't be dissappointed when the kingdom hits... otherwise your doing something wrong.

There are some interesting comments but not exactly what i was looking for. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/wall-street-builds-case-for-year-end-stock-rally/ar-AAfulbX?ocid=spartandhp

Wall St is predicting a year end rally, that will be interesting considering all of the market volatility this year. Even with all of the doom & gloom issues on the world market the stocks may end in the black.