JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Germs...  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about germs?

• I always sanitize everything
    • I sanitize sometimes
    • It's all good. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger.
    • I'm flexible with the '5 second' rule...

I knew a sister (she died several years ago) whose last name was Nelson, she was slightly germophobic and used her knuckles to push the elevator button, open doors, etc... I called her Knuckles Nelson..

I picked up one of her habits and I use my knuckles to push elevator buttons, especially in hospitals. I don't know if it makes any difference but I feel better doing it.. :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

In a hospital its probly a good idea.   I had a doctor overrule another doctor for a leg operation for a broken leg just incase of getting a bad infection, so they put me in this huge leg caste from ankle to hip with a slight twist in my leg to set it right.  lol  that was interesting.  I had to miss meetings for 3 months.  just to cumbersome.

other then that we need bugs in our life.  A lot of our health is determined by the beneficial bugs in our bodies. Its just trying to not have the bad bugs take over and hurt us.

How many of you grew up wishing you would receive a Nobel prize for doing research on the '5 second rule'?

Per Wikipedia:

The five-second rule has received some scholarly attention and has been studied as both a public health recommendation and as a sociological effect.

In 2003, Jillian Clarke of the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign found in a survey that 56% of men and 70% of women surveyed were familiar with the five-second rule. She also determined that a variety of foods were significantly contaminated by even brief exposure to a tile inoculated with E. coli. On the other hand, Clarke found no significant evidence of contamination on public flooring. For this work, Clarke received the 2004 Ig Nobel Prize in public health
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Sorry Brother Richard,  none of the above apply to me - I never sanitize, or hardly ever - I am a bit careful of people who cough and sneeze all over the place - and I don't know what the 5 second rule is.    But I've made it to 68 years old (you've just posted the 5 second rule and I'm still no wiser), and I'm sure I've eaten more germs than whats good for me - even found the odd caterpillar in my home-grown cooked veges (ugh) so goodness knows what has gone into my mouth other than chocolate, bacon and the odd whiskey - not all at the same time of course.     So I'm not much help with your poll.

I knew a sister (she died several years ago) whose last name was Nelson, she was slightly germophobic and used her knuckles to push the elevator button, open doors, etc... I called her Knuckles Nelson..

I picked up one of her habits and I use my knuckles to push elevator buttons, especially in hospitals. I don't know if it makes any difference but I feel better doing it.. :)

And Knuckle knocking or fist bumps started back in the 70's with NBA players. Supposedly transmitting far less bacteria and germs, over a normal handshake ! :yes:  

Sorry Brother Richard,  none of the above apply to me - I never sanitize, or hardly ever - I am a bit careful of people who cough and sneeze all over the place - and I don't know what the 5 second rule is.    But I've made it to 68 years old (you've just posted the 5 second rule and I'm still no wiser), and I'm sure I've eaten more germs than whats good for me - even found the odd caterpillar in my home-grown cooked veges (ugh) so goodness knows what has gone into my mouth other than chocolate, bacon and the odd whiskey - not all at the same time of course.     So I'm not much help with your poll.

It sounds like you fit into the third choice, 'if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger'. you are cautious but not overly cautious. :D

Germs are part of life .. if you eat dirt as a child they reckon you are more able to resist illness - so my vote is for santizing sometimes ... because I would sanitize only if there is a flu or bug going around. I think we should be aware of communicable diseases especially if there are weaker, sick or elderly ones in your congregation and be aware of how we are or hopefully are not passing on our germs.

We have a 15 year old sister, who is wheelchair bound, and while her immunity is fine, IF she does get sick, even with a cold - it is life threatening for her, as she does not have the strength in her muscles to even cough. She needs ventilating.

So if we have any type of cold we stay away from her and wave at her from a distance or not come at all.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I worked at a clinic, so, I have ended up coughing in my elbow, sort of being paranoid about bathroom door handles. Even at the KH. There are honest to goodness people who do not wash their hand after using the bathroom!

In raising my kids, dirt that was gotten into that day was clean dirt. Yesterday's dirt, and dirt that smells, stomach turn. I feel so sad when I see babies with dirty fingernails.

But, I do believe this system has gone bonkers over this anti-bacterial frenzy. our immune system is not challenged. I honestly think a smidgen of dirt on those veggies is good for you. And I think too many humans just don't touch earth, with our feet or hands. Healthy things happen when you touch that earth Jehovah gave us.

There are good things on our skin that the anti-bacterial frenziests are killing. Good old soap and water, thank you!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I have 3 bottles of sanitizer in my car,1 in my purse and 1 in my bookbag.I sanitize after every door in service,every coffee break,I can't wait to use sanitizer after someone shakes my hand.Or after touching money.I use a napkin,tissue,paper towel,anything I can find to open all doors.

I love washing my hands with soap and water,but that is not practical all day in service.I have to dry my hands with paper towels,I hate damp hand towels and hand dryers.

I wash after using the bathroom and when I come home after being out, I scrub my hands good with soap, just. plain old hand soap not the antibacteral stuff

When my first child was born I as all the time washing his pacifier, etc, second kid, his pacifier hardly ever got washed. and for the third one I would wipe it off on my dress or pants and chuck it back in her "pie hole"they all grew up healthy with no allergies and we always had cats, dogs, chickens, cows, horses, you name it. I believe in being clean enough healthy and dirty enough to be happy. Remember the song "Don't worry, be happy!!"

Edited by Agent MOM

My wife and I had several janitorial accounts years back when I pioneered, One account was all females and only one male in the office. I cleaned the men's restroom and the sink was always bone dry and spotless. I never shook his hand...

I am a believer in washing ya hands before eating & after been to the bathroom thats what I was taught; I have seen a lot who don't wash hands after the bathroom.

I do keep a small pack of hand sanitizer. I find it great for camping. I don't like giving others my flu. when around.. I keep one hand for shaking & the other with a tissue. Germs are everywhere. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I am a believer in washing ya hands before eating & after been to the bathroom thats what I was taught; I have seen a lot who don't wash hands after the bathroom.

I do keep a small pack of hand sanitizer. I find it great for camping. I don't like giving others my flu. when around.. I keep one hand for shaking & the other with a tissue. Germs are everywhere. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."

I didn't know that!

All of the hype, about germs is money in the pocket of the soap manufacturer's. I recall reading the anti-bacterial soaps are great advertising material. Now Anti-Virus hand wash?

I am not a fanatic about germs, but do hold a bit of caution whenever the possibility of infection raises it's head.

Poll Results: So far no one has said they are flexible with the 5 second rule, I think that means that no one takes more than 5 seconds to pick up dropped food or cutlery..Good to know.. :)

Per Wikipedia: In folklore, the five-second rule states that food (or sometimes cutlery) dropped on the ground will not be significantly contaminated with bacteria if it is picked up within five seconds of being dropped. Some may truly believe this assertion, whereas most people employ the rule as an amusing social fiction that allows them to eat a dropped piece of food, despite the potential reservations of their peers.

I am neither germophobic or fanatic when it comes to germs/bacteria.     However,    I  am employed at an elementary school and for 34 years have seen all kinds of things.    THINGS that you don't want to see, smell or touch.     Do I believe in santizing...YES!      Do I believe in people washing their hands after using the restroom....YES!!!!!!     Do I believe sickness and diseases can be spread by non hand washing. ....YES!     But it is different at home than in a facility with other people.   We do not know their cleaning habits.        For me , it's not about the dirt...It is about people not being taught to be clean so as not to catch an illness or disease.     I give classes on bloodborne pathogens and it is different than when I was growing up....  Now we have to view everyone as a potential carrier.  (Not that they are)   and YES I shake hands and hug brothers and sisters at the Kingdom Hall and No I am not a germophob as I have expressed but  precautions are in order in certain settings..... Where quite a few people are gathered on regular basis.  

I agree with you dear friends... definitley hospitals, care giving faciliteis , in and around restroom facilities.    It is not only practical but kind to be sure that we do our part in not spreading contagion.     Don't worry be happy philosophy is great as long as we don't catch a disease like hepatitis C  and others.   Then life with an illness is not so great.      Sorry I got carried away ... :shutup:

You friends have some very good points...

If you make it a point to not touch your eyes, nose, inside(ick) or your mouth, you halt the spreading of colds, to yourself, but, out of love for your brothers and sisters, wash those paws. We always have water in our cars. And paper towels. We are trying to use them for washing hands, not what society has foisted on us. Part of my gripe is ALL those little plastic bottles we are putting in the enviorment. We recycle, but not all do.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I really try to be balanced. I prefer washing my hands with soap and water, particularly after learning that over use of hand sanitizer can actually make you MORE susceptible to getting sick. So I really avoid using alcohol based sanitizer.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

While I am not germ aphobic,  I do wash my hands about 20 times a day lol. After coming home from out in public I go straight to the sink and wash my hands ! I jus don't want needless germs that will give me the flu or such. I do not use sanitizer, but I do sanitize after having raw meat on my kitchen counter. 

My sister in law and I have our own 5 second rule. If you drop something on the floor and the dog beats you to it , then it's gone ! lol

My sister in law and I have our own 5 second rule. If you drop something on the floor and the dog beats you to it , then it's gone ! lol

That's why I have cats, they are not as fast as dogs..

:D