JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How is your homschooling year going so far?

So far so good.. My daughter is right on track with her program :)

She is learning American history this year which is a first for both of us...History was a subject I absolutely hated when I was in school. But it's one of those things that I can appreciate much more now. So I think my enthusiasm for it is helping her grasp it more.

I don't understand, Kejedo

hi, sister van. when my children were homeschooling, i used our magazines to help teach, with practical implementation, like apple picking and converting recipes.  no textbook is as simplified as our literature. however, we must teach mathematics separately per grade level. imho  :)   

hi, sister van. when my children were homeschooling, i used our magazines to help teach, with practical implementation, like apple picking and converting recipes.  no textbook is as simplified as our literature. however, we must teach mathematics separately per grade level. imho  :)   

p.s. i also got a super workbook/yearbook for each grade level, to make sure the minimuml typical curriculum per grade was met. but, i considered our literature to be far superior for comprehension.

Sorry that it is going poopy for you Van. 

Yes, I am talking about with this year of homeschooling. :)

And yes, I vlog on youtube... I plan on trying to vlog tomorrow we will see, for sure sometime this week will be a day in the life of homeschooler, will be a VERY long vlog... lol cause a lot of friends don't understand how homeschool or what homeschool looks like. So I'm going to do a whole day of our homeschool on a vlog, about 2 hours. 

Here's my channel-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1n47a8Zq6xUOqZiQl2R_w

You will notice I have subscribed to Tina Ramsay (maybe not sure if that is public or not), but that is another sister I found on youtube, also a homeschooler.

Pauline, I too use a LOT of our publications in schooling. 

On 10/12/2015 at 1:03 PM, Tcvancoops said:

Sorry, Kejedo, I still don't understand what that has to do with my post...

i thought your comment indicated your homeschool year could have gotten off to a better start. sorry for any misunderstanding in my attempt to encourage any who are homeschoolingas it is only october and there is plenty of time to get homeschool programs up and running

Do you homeschool?

hi heather, i just happened to remember the homeschool workbook/yearbooks, by esp. the e stands for education. i forget the rest of the acronym. please excuse my typing, as my keyboard is broken and i need to get batteries for my peripheral keyboard. i have been in for two days and wanted to make sure i didn't have anything contagious, before venturing out. will be back out in service tomorrow. i miss my homeschooling days. for any who are home schooling, it is a labor of love. :bible2:  best wishes, ys,pauline

Audrey what program do you do? We probably will not do a whole lot of American history, enough, but not a lot. Mostly we focus on Biblical and world history regarding us as witnesses. Year book, those under persecution around the world for our faith, etc... 

there is a book available with letters from civil war boys who wrote home. it gives a birds-eye view of what they thought and experienced and is definitely not what text books represent.   

oh and geography... we look up all the countries as we come across them on the globe. And then we do a bit more when I can. IE dominican republic right now, so that kind of food and such, when we had Ghana we ate Ghanian food (easy for me because I was raised with people from Ghana.). I see Haiti is coming up... I will have them practice their Haitian Creole, which we have been lax on, since we haven't been seeing my little sisters much lately. (they are haitian, my parents adopted them at 6 and 9 years old so they speak haitian creole as a first language). And such as that too.

I am kind of careful with much of our American history... I want them to know facts, but much of what you read in a text book has the underlying agenda of making you allegiant to the USA. And as we know as witnesses, there is no country that Jehovah loves more then another one, he is not partial... but secular history text books will always spin it to the country of origin of said text book.

oh and geography... we look up all the countries as we come across them on the globe. And then we do a bit more when I can. IE dominican republic right now, so that kind of food and such, when we had Ghana we ate Ghanian food (easy for me because I was raised with people from Ghana.). I see Haiti is coming up... I will have them practice their Haitian Creole, which we have been lax on, since we haven't been seeing my little sisters much lately. (they are haitian, my parents adopted them at 6 and 9 years old so they speak haitian creole as a first language). And such as that too.

we also made a little 'passport' and stamped it when we finished a unit on a specific country. we practiced a few greetings in each language. the food is always a yummy experience.