JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Table

A brother just in the last day or two mentioned in one of the threads about the downturn in social activities amongst the congregation. While I am sure it's not the case in all places, it certainly is in mine.

So that got me thinking ... being almost Summer here, I thought I'd get together a long table for outside eating and invite as many brothers and sisters that will fit along it.

Now here is my idea if you guys can help me please. I want to give each household a recipe to make that would make up an amazing menu but I don't want to tell them what the menu is - I want all the dishes to create a certain themed menu.

Can you guys help me with a theme, and with some recipes that would be tasty and yet affordable. All ideas welcome.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Thanks for the invitation, sorry, won't be able to attend.

Interesting menu though.  :D

You could do a bible themed party,foods that are mentioned in the bible like red lentils,leeks,a roasted meat,honey,bread.Perhaps put the scripture that mentions the food on a card by the dish.

:mellow:

You could do a New System theme and everyone brings raw fruits and vegetables...

:(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

You could do a New System theme and everyone brings raw fruits and vegetables...

Yes lets invite Trogitty - he will love that theme.

Have you seen any artists depictions featuring cheeses? I haven't unless I've missed them.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

You could do a bible themed party,foods that are mentioned in the bible like red lentils,leeks,a roasted meat,honey,bread.Perhaps put the scripture that mentions the food on a card by the dish.

Yesss, been thinking on this one ... instead of giving each family a recipe - I give them a scripture and they can make anything but make the food featured in the scripture the star of the dish.

Could work - thank you.

You could do a Round The World Bethel Tour and have each guest bring a dish from the area where there is a Bethel branch office..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A brother just in the last day or two mentioned in one of the threads about the downturn in social activities amongst the congregation. While I am sure it's not the case in all places, it certainly is in mine.

So that got me thinking ... being almost Summer here, I thought I'd get together a long table for outside eating and invite as many brothers and sisters that will fit along it.

Now here is my idea if you guys can help me please. I want to give each household a recipe to make that would make up an amazing menu but I don't want to tell them what the menu is - I want all the dishes to create a certain themed menu.

Can you guys help me with a theme, and with some recipes that would be tasty and yet affordable. All ideas welcome.

Sounds fun, but this part of the world is heading into winter. BOO HOO!

Our Congregation is also less social than it used to be. There are complaints from some of the more "I need to be entertained almost all the time' people but most of us are super busy. We do, like I do, invite several over for dinner once a week, or a quick 'nip' in the early evening with a social call. I have several that live close to me and I reach out to them but they have their own issues/demands that keep them from coming over. It's ok. I make sure I catch up before meetings and invite them in service. Social gatherings take time and energy, it may work for some but not for all. Please don't be upset if some resist.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Well I certainly won't invite the whole congregation ... usually they head out to restaurants and cafes - esp now it's summer and a lot of young ones are into cooking.  I'll invite a few families this time and a few next time. I too am used to entertaining ... that's why I wanted something different. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Was going to do a hangi , but that takes about 12 hours to cook ... so I might plan that for later on in the season and you need good strong brothers to do that.

Edited by Stormswift