JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What does "Banned User" mean?

Sorry if the answer is here and I am overlooking it somewhere. I have seen a personal website for a deacitivated user and did not know if I should go there ornot. Thanks

What does "BANNED USER" mean?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Sorry if the answer is here and I am overlooking it somewhere. I have seen a personal website for a banned user and did not know if I should go there or not. Thanks

A BANNED USER here at JWTalk is in most cases a former user who clearly was not one of Jehovah's Witnesses and opposed true worship. But sometimes a banned user is someone who would not respect the Forum Policy regarding conduct and was therefore forcefully banned.

Yes, despite our security measures, apostates can get in the forum. From time to time one gets in and immediately tries to whip up controversy. Others fake being a witness for a short while and then try to whip up trouble a little later. When they do, they get deactivated permanently. This is rare, because they know the forum is well monitored and their comments get reported and vanish almost immediately, and it is not worth playing the role until Full Access Membership requirements are met. It would be naive of us to think that there are no insincere individuals in here, as apostates are a nosy bunch.

You are probably safe to click the link to visit whatever site you are talking about, because whenever the moderators become aware of a link to somewhere we should not go, we delete the link in it's entirety.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I thought it meant that Bob decide's when it's the right time and says: "Over to you' date=' you have the 'com' number one" and hands over to Musky the Borg, who assimilates a person on the forum and they are left lifeless in front of their PC :borg:;):raspberry:[/quote'] And then

42463=1787-Exterminated.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 11 months later...
I thought it meant that Bob decide's when it's the right time and says: "Over to you' date=' you have the 'com' number one" and hands over to Musky the Borg, who assimilates a person on the forum and they are left lifeless in front of their PC :borg:;):raspberry:[/quote'] And then

42463=1787-Exterminated.gif

You are both very funny!!! :raspberry:

• 1 month later...

that makes it more clear But I was following a line of animals dying etc there was a post saying someone was banned I wasn't sure what that meant. Did I do a wrong thing by looking at the post. If someone is an apostate I thought their posts would be taken off the web site. There is a message saying I have been edited three times what does that mean. I know it is not the tax man? I thought editing meant you have written something inapporiate heaps sorry if I have but I am not sure what. Thank-you brothers for giving us this forum to encourage one another.

I was following a line of animals dying etc there was a post saying someone was banned I wasn't sure what that meant. Did I do a wrong thing by looking at the post.

No, you did not do anything wrong. Someone marked as a "BANNED USER" is simply someone we had to ban from the forums, because for one reason or another they no longer qualified to be here, usually for persistently breaking the Forum Membership policy and refusing to listen to the counsel from the moderators. This does not mean that the person was discovered to be disfelloshipped or an apostate, although sometimes this may be the case.

If someone is an apostate I thought their posts would be taken off the web site.

Nope. If they post apostate propaganda, we remove that bad content, but we are not going to take the time to manually remove each of their posts. This is time consuming if they have made a lot of posts, and then having their posts missing breaks the flow of the conversation for other people reading the topic at a later time.

There is a message saying I have been edited three times what does that mean. I thought editing meant you have written something inapporiate heaps sorry if I have but I am not sure what.

Editing means we edited your post. This could be to perhaps make your comments more clear, fix your formatting if you tried to include images or other effects, or remove something inappropriate. Eariler you posted the same few things in 2 different topics. I answered one in one topic and the other in another, and edited yours so that people would not started talking about the same thing in 2 different topics. Part of our job as moderators is to try and keep a conversation on topic, at least until it seems to have run it's course and then we let it go.

Thank-you brothers for giving us this forum to encourage one another.

We try our best.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I thought editing meant you have written something inapporiate heaps sorry if I have but I am not sure what.

Sometimes it's edited if the quote and unquote markers get messed up, then a moderator will fix it. I've also seen them edit it when someone posts a big wall of text with no paragraph separation or something totally in ALL CAPS. (both also hard to read!) Finally, posting personal info (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.) is edited out if someone does it, for everyone's privacy. Those things are shared via private message (PM). Those are the instances I've seen.

And :welcome: to the forum!!

By the way I would love to say thanks Boss for editing my posts soooo! many times..LOL. I am sure you have better things to do.LOL

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I've also seen them edit it when someone posts a big wall of text with no paragraph separation or...

Or when someone quotes a post 50 miles long in their reply only to say "Nice post" or "lol" at the end. I will edit and remove the quote or drastically cut the quote down, because we already read someones book of a post once, there is no need to read it again. It's so much nicer when people selectively quote exactly what they are responding to.

I don't if this question suits here or elsewhere. I just didn't feel like starting a new topic for the purpose as I don't plan leaving this forum in other forms than a death certificate lying on my cold body :unsure:

Do the so-called de-activated users ever get re-activated, or is it "Once out, always out" principle that matters? I mean, obviously all apostates, or wannabe ones should be kept out, but if someone due to not taking their prescribed medication (ME! ME! ME! :bouncing:) goes over the top, is he/she thrown out once for all time? Of course, admittedly, I don't know anything of things going behind the scenes, in case a person is deliberately harassing others via the PM system or otherwise.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

That's case by case. We've tossed someone out, and then they asked to return, and then we tossed them out again.

Most of the time we never hear from these users again, except for the apostates, who just turn around and register another account

• 2 weeks later...

And sometimes we edit it and make no changes just to give the appearance that we are on the job! (See above) :tongue:

I think you added something. It is a subliminal message to assimilate us into your personal borg. :borg:

~Call Musky for all your PC needs!~

You fail the observation test!

I added a second exclamation mark here:

And :welcome: to the forum!!

Your race will be easy to conquer! :borg:

• 8 months later...

I totally understand banning a user, however, is it necessary to have the avatar look like its been chopped with a machete with blood running down the head. Very odd!

I agree also. It definitely needs animation. :lol1:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

What about the, "Banned" in red letters? Someone's idea of a funny, or real? Banned is not the way I would like to get attention. Thanks all!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

We were goofing off and having fun in the Moderators forum when we first got this new software, deciding what should be the Banned Users avatar. We had about 4 or 5 nominees and this one won the vote at the time :P