JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Really? A song with lyrics using Jehovah's name and witness?

Was watching an innocuous talent show now on here in Australia - x-factor.  A former winner had returned and was singing her "latest" song (yawn).  Suddenly my ears pricked up because I was sure I heard Jehovah's name in the rapping part of the song, so I googled the lyrics.

What!?  They have actually done it, included Jehovah's name and witness in a rap.

Me, I mind my business
No I'm not the mob
But your boy, I got a hit list
My life's my trial
Jehovah's my witness

*groan*

Edited by hatcheckgirl

Have I missed something? I can't see, from the lyrics quoted, what this song has to do with Jehovah. I don't watch TV so am not familiar with xfactor.

Can you mention the singers name, or the name of the song? Or, post the lyrics for the part of the song that mentions Jehovah?

Thanks.

I've posted the relevant stanza, and I think that their rhyming is pretty off - business rhyming with witness (??!)

Niall, you really don't want to hear the song in any shape or form.  It's not bad per se, but let's not indulge the naughty children with attention, hey? :)

The rap is by Pitbull, and the song is by Samantha Jade.  I'm not rushing out to buy it anytime soon.

Try some nice jazz instead :)

Google Peter Greens 'Slabo Day' thank me later

https://www.google.com/search?q=peter+green+slabo+day&oq=peter+green&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.15220j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Saved you the trouble. Its safe, as long as you dont mind slow flying thru puffy white clouds listening to sweet blues guitars, no lyrics. ...

Edited by tekmantwo

I started studying the Bible in my last year of high school and my friends and I got together and bought a page in the Yearbook, detailing all our "adventures", many not so good. Since I was studying I guess I considered myself a Witness, so when my friends mentioned their religions I mentioned mine. Now, I cringe because it only brought reproach. It's not "likely" but maybe whoever wrote the rap song thought there were doing good by mentioning God's name and the witnesses. It's possible that they have a family member who has witnessed to them and they think they are cool for mentioning it.

• 1 year later...

I like discovering new songs that barely have any views on YouTube and guess what I've found...
A song with Jehovah's name in it (but as the tetragrammaton).
I was so shocked when I saw that, it was so random. xD
This is the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MjAGr09yWo 

The lyrics are:
And my hands are growing old
And weary with pain
Still I fold them to pray
To the one unchanged
Yesterday and today
Oh YHWH <-----
(I know, they are deep) 

5 hours ago, Kristian said:

I like discovering new songs that barely have any views on YouTube and guess what I've found...
A song with Jehovah's name in it (but as the tetragrammaton).
I was so shocked when I saw that, it was so random. xD
This is the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MjAGr09yWo 

The lyrics are:
And my hands are growing old
And weary with pain
Still I fold them to pray
To the one unchanged
Yesterday and today
Oh YHWH <-----
(I know, they are deep) 

Hi Kristian, welcome to the forum. ..

I agree,  those lyrics are pretty dark....:lol2:

Many moons ago, one year when I went to see my favourite artist & his band (Jools Holland, in case you're wondering), the support act was an American chap called Paul Thorn. He looked a little rough round the edges and I believe he was punch drunk after his previous years as a boxer but on chatting with him during the break, he came across as a real nice, down-to-earth bloke. Anyway, before he played his last song, he introduced it like this (as memory serves):

This song is based on an old friend of mine who is a Jehovah's Witness. I would just like to say that I think Jehovah's Witnesses are wonderful people and if anyone thinks any different, they can come and see me after the show, and remember that I was a professional boxer! I would like to apologise if this offends anyone as that is not my intention and she really is a lovely person.

At which point he then proceeded to give us the title ("Joni. The Jehovah's Witness Stripper") and sing the song; very catchy by the way and is a hidden track on his Blues album, "Hammer & Nail".

There were about 50 of us at that concert at the Nottingham Concert Hall and we could see each other so it was fun to watch all the different reactions. :lol: At the intermission, my good friend and I went to the foyer to buy his album (as it is really good) and get him to sign it and, of course, quiz him about Joni's status as an active JW! When we told Paul that we were JWs and there were around 50 of us in the audience, the first thing he said, in his broad southern accent, was: "oh maaaan. I hope I didn't offend none of y'all" and we ended up having about a 20  minute chat with him. We also put him straight on the fact that Joni more than likely wouldn't be an active JW, let alone a Regular Pioneer, if her local congregation found out about her night job (and neither would her father)!

Well that's my little anecdote for the day. Here's the lyrics (put in a spoiler so I don't offend anyone's conscience that think it's in poor taste, though it is a true story):

Spoiler

[Verse 1]

She drives a new car, wears expensive blouses.
She tells her mama she's cleaning houses.
She goes out witnessing, doing the Lord's work all week,
But on the weekend she's making ends meet.

[Chorus]

Joni, the Jehovah Witness Stripper.
Put a dollar in her G String and she'll deliver.
If her daddy only knew, he'd probably kill her

[Verse 2]

One night down at the club, her daddy walked in.
He didn't recognise, his daughter dancing.
She wore a blonde wig, he had sunglasses.
When she got naked, he started clapping.

[Chorus]

[Bridge]

If you ask her why she does it, she looks as if this way:
She says "I'm countin my blessings every night when I get paid."
She once lived in poverty, now everythings all right;
The Lord showed her how to make a thousand dollars a night.

[Chorus]

Edited by Stoffer

It's bigger on the inside!

On 11/11/2015 at 8:31 AM, Brother Arellano said:

With more and more religions starting to use Jehovahs name it is not uncommon to hear Jehovahs name in songs or tv.

Interesting, the opposite has been my experience. I've even had convo's with some from the KJV only that say something like 'Jehovah in the KJV was a mistake', or something like that. 

http://www.vietcatholic.net/News/Html/57368.htm

No 'Yahweh' in songs, prayers at Catholic Masses, Vatican rules
By Nancy Frazier O'Brien
Catholic News Service
WASHINGTON (CNS) -- In the not-too-distant future, songs such as "You Are Near," "I Will Bless Yahweh" and "Rise, O Yahweh" will no longer be part of the Catholic worship experience in the United States.
At the very least, the songs will be edited to remove the word "Yahweh" -- a name of God that the Vatican has ruled must not "be used or pronounced" in songs and prayers during Catholic Masses.

The Tetragrammaton is YHWH, the four consonants of the ancient Hebrew name for God.
"As an expression of the infinite greatness and majesty of God, it was held to be unpronounceable and hence was replaced during the reading of sacred Scripture by means of the use of an alternate name: 'Adonai,' which means 'Lord,'" the Vatican letter said. 
Similarly, Greek translations of the Bible used the word "Kyrios" and Latin scholars translated it to "Dominus"; both also mean Lord