JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Will You use the JW App to Underline?

Will You use the JW App to Underline?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Will You use the JW App to highlight?

• Yes!
    • No, I will continue to use my current method
    • Both - I will use it AND my current method

Alright - who's going to be the first to prove your theory Kaleb? hehe!

Oops my phone messed up and for some reason clicked "add reply"

Have you ever played that game where the last person to put their finger on their nose has to say prayer before a meal?

In reply to your comment: *finger on my nose* lol!

I joke! I'll give this a try tonight by wiping my iPad and let everyone know my findings

Alright - who's going to be the first to prove your theory Kaleb? hehe!

I managed to get this done earlier than I thought.

Okay, Here's what I've done: I highlighted part of the watchtower, benefit book, and a verse from Genesis 1 and then did an iCloud backup to backup all my data. I also ran the backup a second time just to make sure it didn't miss anything and then I wiped my iPad, followed by restoring from iCloud.

The result: no highlighting was restored on the bible verses, nor the in publications downloaded.

Give a person an inch .......

The JW Library is such a great tool/asset. I can appreciate that he new features have made a good thing even better. However, it seems to me that, no matter what features are added, some always want more.

We got the Bible, then publications. Then we got videos. We even got the new songs.

We have seen the program go from basic features to pop-up/side bar hot links with access to full publications and return from there with the back button. We have seen the publications let us know when they have been updated. We now have highlighting - but that does not seem to be enough.

Now, we want highlighting that stays even if we delete the program or highlighting that moves from one device to another :eek:

I remember when used "hard copies" of our books. We would study them, underline, highlight, make notes in the margin and maybe even write references and such on the end pages. Then, when the book needs replacing, we got another one and, either moved some of our marking to the new book, by hand, or we simply started over - and no one ever blamed the book for not moving them for us .....

But, with an app, we want it all - and when we get it, we want more :perplexed:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Give a person an inch .......

The JW Library is such a great tool/asset. I can appreciate that he new features have made a good thing even better. However, it seems to me that, no matter what features are added, some always want more.

We got the Bible, then publications. Then we got videos. We even got the new songs.

We have seen the program go from basic features to pop-up/side bar hot links with access to full publications and return from there with the back button. We have seen the publications let us know when they have been updated. We now have highlighting - but that does not seem to be enough.

Now, we want highlighting that stays even if we delete the program or highlighting that moves from one device to another :eek:

I remember when used "hard copies" of our books. We would study them, underline, highlight, make notes in the margin and maybe even write references and such on the end pages. Then, when the book needs replacing, we got another one and, either moved some of our marking to the new book, by hand, or we simply started over - and no one ever blamed the book for not moving them for us .....

But, with an app, we want it all - and when we get it, we want more :perplexed:

Hey Qapla,

Please don't misunderstand what was said above as if I/we are not greatful for the amazing app they have created as well as the countless hours spent to perfect the coding. I, for one am nothing but greatful for it!

In fact from a technical perspective, the limitation of the JW app not backing up highlighting data to the iCloud is a limitation of the way iOS has been designed and not on the societies end.

The question I posed above is not whether they have done a good job with the latest update, because they most definitely have. The question was whether it meets everyone's unique needs.

I will also admit at this point that I am a tad bit (fine...very) obsessive about never losing data but that's my thing and I can't blame anyone else for that.

Hope that explains everything :)

This is why I'm observing many comments /posts and not making any reply because of not wanting to sound discontent about at a feature and just not simply making a point about a feature.

I'll stick to my Mantano until /when JW Library will ever do similar stuff.

I'll just use both in my study projects.

Edited by AH173

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 3 weeks later...

My JW library app list:

PROS of WT library app

Beautiful fonts

Excellent side by side with other translations

Excellent use of foot notes in the RBi8

Love having the kingdom interlinear as a comparison bible

Best search for scriptures

PROS of my go to App Equippd

History (I use this to quickly return to the song book or the BE book, during the meetings)

With daily text, it links to the entire WT article, not just the mentioned paragraphs

When I copy a scripture for notes or talks, it includes the book and chapter.

John 1:1 — In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

When writing talks or notes I can add a URL link which will take me directly to the specific scripture with 1 click. Looks like this

equipdbible://bible/John1:1

With footnotes in the WT it takes you to the entire article

Unlimited bookmarks and notes

It allows me to sync between my phone and tablet and keep studied material backed up

One of its comparison bibles is the King James with the strongs Concordance linked. Excellent

With WT study material and KM it shows the song which you can click on then use history or back to go back to study material.

WT library app is a great tool which no doubt will continue to improve.

Edited by Hansen

Wow. I'd like equipped too if it was for Android.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Me, too!

I've been using the JW app for this latest WT... it looks very nice.  I'm still using Moon+ Reader for the Bible Study (since I already started it there) and the KM.  I'll probably use the JW app for the new mid-week Workbook.  It's also more handy for when we're singing new songs - I need the lead sheets to sing; can't make do with the words only that come up on Moon+.  On that note (pun intended :D ), I'll just be glad when the entire Songbook is revised and re-printed.  I need my music spread before me... I'm not keen on the tablets for that.

JW app IS pretty... but Moon+ still feels a bit more "solid".  I like that it has access to dictionary, etc. Staying tuned for more tweaks!

• 6 months later...

Bump...

Recently, I've reverted back to iBooks (epub) for meetings, since I can add notes. After attending my pioneer school, I realized the importance of making marginal notes here and there. I have terrible handwriting, so typing the notes is the next best thing. 

JW Library doesn't have this yet, but hopefully it will very soon. Bethelites, are you reading this? :whistling:

1 hour ago, leoperales said:

Bump...

Recently, I've reverted back to iBooks (epub) for meetings, since I can add notes. After attending my pioneer school, I realized the importance of making marginal notes here and there. I have terrible handwriting, so typing the notes is the next best thing. 

JW Library doesn't have this yet, but hopefully it will very soon. Bethelites, are you reading this? :whistling:

I would be shocked if they weren't working on a feature to make notes.  That would be a great new feature

@Mykyl I'm sure your right

From personal experience, there is an immense amount of work that goes into adding new features to apps. With each version of the app, app developers need to:

1. Get the new feature programmed
  2. Get new text translated into all of the different languages
  3. You need to test the app using every possible scenario that the users may ever use it for. Sometimes new features can break the strangest things so you need to test EVERYTHING. The bigger the app, the longer this takes. Also don't forget that this testing needs to be done across every platform (iOS, Android and Windows Mobile) which is 3X the amount of work!
  4. (at least for iOS) If a new feature means that you need to take new screenshots then you need to take screenshots on 6 different devices (iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad and iPad Pro). Once you are done taking those screenshots in English, you then need to take identical screenshots for every language you program the app for. So if the app is programmed in 25 different languages and they need to take 5 screenshots then...... *5 screenshots* X *6 devices* X *25 languages* = 780 screenshots total!

The most difficult part of this is how meticulous you need to be to make sure you test EVERYTHING and you don't miss 1 of the 780 screenshots you need!

After releasing my own app on the app store, it has made my appreciation grow for the amount of work that goes into the JW Library app!

@leoperales I just checked the JW Library's app's description and  they have officially announced  taking notes as a feature coming soon :)

Coming soon.png

4 minutes ago, Kable said:

@Mykyl I'm sure your right

From personal experience, there is an immense amount of work that goes into adding new features to apps. With each version of the app, app developers need to:

1. Get the new feature programmed
  2. Get new text translated into all of the different languages
  3. You need to test the app using every possible scenario that the users may ever use it for. Sometimes new features can break the strangest things so you need to test EVERYTHING. The bigger the app, the longer this takes. Also don't forget that this testing needs to be done across every platform (iOS, Android and Windows Mobile) which is 3X the amount of work!
  4. (at least for iOS) If a new feature means that you need to take new screenshots then you need to take screenshots on 6 different devices (iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad and iPad Pro). Once you are done taking those screenshots in English, you then need to take identical screenshots for every language you program the app for. So if the app is programmed in 25 different languages and they need to take 5 screenshots then...... *5 screenshots* X *6 devices* X *25 languages* = 780 screenshots total!

The most difficult part of this is how meticulous you need to be to make sure you test EVERYTHING and you don't miss 1 of the 780 screenshots you need!

After releasing my own app on the app store, it has made my appreciation grow for the amount of work that goes into the JW Library app!

@leoperales I just checked the JW Library's app's description and  they have officially announced  taking notes as a feature coming soon :)

Coming soon.png

I knew they were reading this thread!!!  :bouncing:

BTW, what app did you release in the App Store?

19 minutes ago, leoperales said:

I knew they were reading this thread!!!  :bouncing:

BTW, what app did you release in the App Store?

JW Notes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jw-note/id1072063866?mt=8

It's programmed in 4 different languages right now and I dread updating the app every time because the amount of work involved in testing new versions.

Not sure if I said this before (I did nor re-read the whole thread) but, since I do/did not underline or make notes in the printed copy, having it in the electronic copy is not on the top of my list.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I use jw library from they one. Most of the times I don't underline anything since I'm not going to answer reading from the paragraph anyway (although that causes some friends to think that I didn't study it) 

My wife only switched to jw library after the mwbv&issue of may... She thought that since the slave is working so much in it,  she wasn't showing her apretiation for the hardwork of the brothers 

When we need to write notes we use a separate note taking app (for ex.  Word) 

This feature  of note-taking was announced from the launch of the app and last AM they said it would come "shortly" after that. I am sure they are working as fast as they can on it and want to release it before octubre (surely they don't want to announce again about the feature  coming soon... But they are humble enough to do it if necessary)

It must be a very difficult feature to apply because they launched several others, even ones  we weren't expecting ... But notes..n nothing.... 

Anyway  I want  to show my apretiation for what they are doing with this app... And it is, right now, with all its limitations.... GREAT! 

I would love to use the jw library app more.  Its formatted so much better than other e- readers Ive used and I really appreciate having so many publications at my fingertips.

Alas,  Im one of those people that often study on my phone during lunch break at work but use my tablet at meetings, so the ability to transfer underlines and notes from one device to another is a necessity anf Google Books makes that SOOOOO convienient.

19 minutes ago, JSmith said:

I would love to use the jw library app more.  Its formatted so much better than other e- readers Ive used and I really appreciate having so many publications at my fingertips.

Alas,  Im one of those people that often study on my phone during lunch break at work but use my tablet at meetings, so the ability to transfer underlines and notes from one device to another is a necessity anf Google Books makes that SOOOOO convienient.

FYI, Apple's iBooks syncs highlights and notes between iPhones and iPads.  Just sayin'..:D But you are right, it would be great to have notes and syncing.

Edited by leoperales

I use highlighting in the JW app to study my Watchtower and Workbooks.  If I need to make notes, I open the "memo" app in my Samsung tablet and make title like "July 11th meeting" or "July 17th Watchtower".  I then put the paragraph number in and the note along with it!  I just open the memo app and switch to it as I'm using JW Lib.  Easy peasy!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 7 months later...
On 11/17/2015 at 5:02 PM, Kable said:

Correction to what I said above: iCloud backup DOES backup in-app data however I don't believe it backs-up in app downloads (ie. publications you've downloaded within the app).

I thought I should make that correction

Bringing this up again. Can someone clarify what "in-app" data is? I see in my iCloud backup under Leo's iPad, that JW Library is backing up 2.7 MB of something. Are these the annotations in the publications?

On 7/19/2016 at 6:02 AM, Kable said:

Coming soon.png

Been waiting a year now for that feature. When it comes, i won't be using anything else ever again. Everything I need will be here.

On 2/24/2017 at 4:50 PM, leoperales said:

Bringing this up again. Can someone clarify what "in-app" data is? I see in my iCloud backup under Leo's iPad, that JW Library is backing up 2.7 MB of something. Are these the annotations in the publications?

Okay, I have an update regarding iPads and JW Library. Apparently, when you do a full backup of your iPad using iTunes on your PC, the three or four files within the JW Library app also get backed up, which are the files that contain the highlights (and I'm sure in the near future, the notes that we make). After that, once you do a restore and once the JW Library app gets re-installed on the iPad, all you have to do is re-download the publications and surprise ! -- All the highlights are conserved. I was able to confirm this even with my ks book and pioneer book that I re-downloaded from external sources.

Protip - Transferring highlights on Android: I use an app like Helium or MyPhoneExplorer or ADB backup to backup and restore my highlights in JW Library. You still need to back up publications/media manually.
It's much easier to transfer data on an unlocked & rooted device with Titanium, but if you know how to root your device you don't need me to tell you that. Some ROMs like Cyanogen come with root built in.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:26 AM, halfspanishlee said:

Does anyone have here have a amazon fire tablet with jw library on and does it run good on there?

Runs fine on Fire, many people use it since those tablets were only ~$25 shortly ago.

Edited by Myew