JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Feedback/perspective from adults who were homeschooled

I was wondering if there are any adults  (25-30 years old  +) on this forum who can give feedback on their experience being homeschooled as JW's and how it prepared them for adulthood and supporting themselves and a family - social situations, necessary functioning in the "world". It would be nice as a parent to get some perspective from the other side so to speak.

Honestly, I wish my parents wouldn't have homeschooled me from 7th grade on. I'm already an introvert, and I think it held me back socially in a lot of ways. I became anti-social. It was a fad that a lot of the parents were doing in my congregation. A lot of the homeschooled kids would go out in service all day and not do much school work. This happened all the time. I don't even think many of them graduated.

I think it also depends on how involved the parents are. My parents were just like, here are these books. Read them and send in the papers. They weren't involved at all. I was very motivated and made A's, but they never made the last payment to the school, so I never got a diploma. :( They didn't care at all, and my Dad was an elder.

So, I feel bitter about the whole thing. If done right and the parents are involved, I think it can be good. If done wrong, it can really affect the child.

I go back to the days of witnesses trying to have JW schools and they were never blessed.

Its the parents decisions ultimately.

"Jehovah lights a lamp to be seen."

Daniel and his three companions submitted to babylonian training and was still blessed.

Nothing wrong with formal training; the brothers use all kinds of skills in the organization.

Stumbling blocks will always be around; getting use to the jungle gym will help you navigate it better.

Jehovah is the key to faithfulness; not the amount of worldly things you don't come in contact with.

Do you want to protect the world from your children; or teach your children to help the world?  They will be in the world to some extant after school needing to have a job and employment.

anyway i kind of lean towards going to school;  but i'm sure you can go the other direction with it.  It is pretty tough;  I remember doing home school on my own where i did all my own homework in high school.  But i also went back to school senior year and kept to myself and learned....Its really just gonna be a parents decision.

As far as work goes being able to be self taught and teach yourself will help you to be a business owner.  That doesn't work for me and my personality as much and i prefer to be an employee; even though i can self teach myself lots of things.  lol

There are two sisters from my old congregation that are home schooling their daughters. The interesting fact about both of them is that they both are legal immigrants that are not completely fluent in English or well educated in their former country. One of the girls is a 15 year old regular pioneer that makes posts on Instagram with gross errors . The other 14 year old cannot be a regular pioneer because her mom is not able to commit yet. But that is the goal for the near future. I personally disagree on both cases. As it was mentioned before, the parents should be involved and educated enough to supervise the learning process. However I never said a word about it and never will. In my case the issue was never raised. I definitely do not have the patience necessary to teach effectively. If you are not a gifted instructor you should not consider to home school you children. That is my humble opinion. You are completely entitled to disagree.

We sent our kids to public school for several years and then "homeschooled." I had great intentions but discovered I was not a naturally gifted teacher. After two years we sent them back to public school as I was afraid they would fall too far behind. Fortunately they caught up with what was being taught in public school without any problem. We attributed that in part to the theocratic education they received, that they were both intelligent and extroverted anyway, not to any teaching ability on my part.

In retrospect I personally would not recommend homeschooling. It was stressful and discouraging, at least for us. As for protecting them from the world that only lasts until they get their first secular job anyway.

Just my opinion of course, but speaking as one who tried it.

By the way, to add to my last comment, as an adult with learning disabilities, I was rather hopelessly inept in providing the structure that our public school provided -- that and only one of the two was a cooperative student. I added that since I noticed several other comments discussing the effects of a structured homeschooling setting as opposed to an unstructured setting.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers...I know it can sometimes be a rather divisive issue even when discussed in a car group.

I know a successful case. The mother is a math teacher and the father is a veterinarian . She quit her job and home schooled her 3 boys when they were in High School. Out of the three, one is a bethelite, one is a regular pioneer and the youngest one is disfelowshipped.  As far as I know all three are smart and literate.

When you are already a teacher is much easier.

We receive training every week to be better teachers. If we can't teach , how do we fulfill the the command at Matthew 28:19 &20. You can find very bad examples using every type of education.

I think it's sad when someone suggests that if you have have a degree that makes you qualified to teach your children. I didn't go have formal theological training and get letters after my name but yet I have had many bible studies. Also it's sad when someone says they don't have the patience to train their own children. Patience is one of the fruits of the spirit and if we dont ask for Holy Spirit to be patient with our children we will never be adequate teachers for Jehovah. Patience is right after love when dealing with worldly householders

Also those who feel they were introverts because of homeschooling, you probably would have been introverts in public school. Socializing 10 hours a day with worldy kids isn't going to change that. However, learning to deal with people of all sorts can be done outside of public school as well.

I homeschool not to keep him sheltered. His life is anything but, through my own example he sees how we interact with worldly relatives (my fleshly sister) and how a proper and appropriate relationship with worldy people should be. He see the concern we have for our neighbors and our bible students, but he also see we keep them at arms length because they are still worldy.

What's even sadder is that many many of the friends continue to be blinded and just accept what their children are being taught. These are Satan's schools and his agenda is clear if you just look. Many in my own congregation keep their head in the sand. Recently we were reminded that parents need to reprogram their children from the days activities. What activities can that be? Parents don't even think about it.

Also selfishly I get to spend more time with my son, I get the credit of teaching him to read. I get to hear his beautiful and expressive prayers several times a day. I am secure in knowing that for now he is still innocent when children his age are far from that.

I am also realistic in knowing that it's not a guarantee for staying the truth. I am also realistic that I have a big role to play in his education and keeping him active.

It's sad people have a sad upbringing. But as adults we can now try and turn it around and be confident in serving Jehovah. However, if our parents tried to keep us safe and secure homeschooling and it wasn't the best experience at least acknowledge the tried. It wasn't easy either way.

I know a successful case. The mother is a math teacher and the father is a veterinarian . She quit her job and home schooled her 3 boys when they were in High School. Out of the three, one is a bethelite, one is a regular pioneer and the youngest one is disfelowshipped.  As far as I know all three are smart and literate.

When you are already a teacher is much easier.

It's a good thing all of Jehovah's people are required to be teachers.

Honestly, I wish my parents wouldn't have homeschooled me from 7th grade on. I'm already an introvert, and I think it held me back socially in a lot of ways. I became anti-social. It was a fad that a lot of the parents were doing in my congregation. A lot of the homeschooled kids would go out in service all day and not do much school work. This happened all the time. I don't even think many of them graduated.

I think it also depends on how involved the parents are. My parents were just like, here are these books. Read them and send in the papers. They weren't involved at all. I was very motivated and made A's, but they never made the last payment to the school, so I never got a diploma. :( They didn't care at all, and my Dad was an elder.

So, I feel bitter about the whole thing. If done right and the parents are involved, I think it can be good. If done wrong, it can really affect the child.

I'm glad you are still in the truth , and such a valued Sister. Did you take the equivalency exam for a High School diploma?  I have seen worse things happen in public HS, where students went for 12 years and still did not get a diploma. I hope you can work on overcoming shyness. You must be doing pretty well with that, to be a publisher. It sounds like you are an asset to your congregation. MOst things we read in our magazines prepare us for HS completion, except one may need to take a brush up on the maths.

I am sorry but having a diploma literally means nothing to me. It is a piece of paper. It tells no one what each person got out of their "schooling" whether home or public. It is not a guarantee of a job. It is not a gauge of what you know or will even remember what you were taught. Oh man... There I go being defensive again.

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

I was homeschooled for a year... I did NOT like the way I was homeschooled cause it was through the public school system. The curricula was way too demanding. When I went back to PS I was way ahead of the other children, cause they had had me do sooo much work. I was homeschooled though because I was in a body cast and in the hospital. 

I homeschool my children and they have a happy very outgoing life, they have many friends (in the congregation) but they can easily play with children they just met at a park as well. My children get to have LOTS of time to explore the world around them and learn on their own, since their schooling only takes very little time since they are one on one with me. I have never understood the throw some worksheets in front of your child and send them off to be graded.... but I know back in the 80's-90's many people did that. I personally am with my children through their learning. And as the other Heather mentioned... I've been trained nearly my whole life to be a Teacher, from the best school there is... the TMS! And Jehovah. 

As far as Witness schools not being blessed, I have no idea what that means at all... my husband and all his cousins went to witness schools, so did many of his friends... they are all still in the truth today... I am thinking most their parents consider that a blessing! 

As for needing to be certified or special education to teach your own children... um... people didn't send their children to public schools til about 100 years ago, yet people learned! Some of the most notorious people in history were taught at home! By their uncertified mothers. Furthermore, Jehovah actually commands us to instruct our children, ALL the time... on the road when you are walking, at home, when you lie down to go to sleep, etc. It makes me very very sad that many people have been so blinded by this system that they feel they are not qualified to teach their own children. Pray to Jehovah for guidance, Moses did not feel he was qualified to help the Israelites break free from Pharaoh, but Jehovah helped him and used him! The studies show that as long as a parent is willing to help and foster their child to learn, the parents actual education has very very little to do with how much the child can learn! Moses was slow of speech... but Jehovah helped him... if you feel you are not qualified ask Jehovah for help! Our publications alone are a WONDERFUL education. And really the only education that will matter. Much worldly knowledge is inaccurate, and tinged with political and satanic (the person who is really in charge of this world!) propaganda. Jehovah's wisdom is free from all of that! Jehovah's wisdom is accurate, true and good for ALL things. 

oh one thing I forgot to add. I actually DO have a friend (sister) who was homeschooled in the 90's. Neither of her parents know English! lol haha They did just throw worksheets at her and send them in to be graded. BUT, they also didn't mind her going to the library and reading tons of books on what ever she wanted to learn, she took art classes as well outside the home. And I believe music classes, I do remember she had a keyboard and took some kind of classes to play it. 

She is VERY social now. but was not before homeschooling. Before she talked her parents into letting her come home to school she was very shy and small and was bullied in public school a lot. 

Now the Irony... she lives in a very metropolitan town as a teacher! lol For skin care professionals! lol haha She is very outgoing and well liked as a professor. She has always been happy her parents allowed her to come home and get out of PS.

BTW, her mother was from Mexico and her father from Cuba, neither one highly educated. They could read, and such (in spanish) but still not high education levels. Her mother is actually agoraphobic and NEVER leaves the house. Her father was a janitor. They could not help her with much of her learning. Although her dad did do exercise VHS videos with her for PE! lol haha (I remember thinking that was funny back then, and she would roll her eyes about the ones he would choose! Ones for old people! lol haha). But, again she is still happy with it. And she is probably literally one of the smartest people I know. Much smarter then the great majority of people I am around, or come in contact with. She is quite a bit younger then me, but we have been friends for a long time cause she is so intelligent and witty... we became fast friends even though she was a child and I was a adult when we met. Now we have been friends for like 25 years! lol She was one of the very few friends I invited to our very private wedding. lol 

You may be asking what Metropolitan area she works in now, It's Seattle Washington. She has went all kinds of places on her own, very outgoing, she went to Hawaii for 2 weeks just her and a girl friend last year. And had a blast. She goes to Cuba and visits her relatives there often too, and just all over. She is for sure not shy or introverted.  

Edited by PrairieGirl

Hello I am new here but if I could add my opinion based on what I've seen.It's only 2 cents worth.

Homeschooling has its place. I've had an ill friend that could not go to school and was home schooled with outside tutors.

Generally, homeschooling is considered an informal method.  As many posters have already mentioned, if it is done correctly it can be successful. It's successful if the parent has some educational background, perhaps a background in the teaching field. Or if the process is conducted in a formal manner and follows the curriculum established by the school board. This method allows enrollment with school board and the school keeps tabs on the home school process and the progress of the child to ensure the child does not lag behind.

I've have seen both. A family that successfully home schooled 4 children all the way up to grade 12. I've also seen the flip side....adults 20, 21 and 22 years of age that have yet to finish high school.

When my children were little, my husband and I considered home schooling. We got a hold of the elementary school curriculum/syllabus to see if it was doable. But we had to be honest with ourselves that we could only teach roughly up to grade 4. The curriculum is so complex these days that frankly, we felt we would do our kids a great disservice by keeping them at home.

Actually sister Alba, studies have shown that neither of those things are true. That a person does NOT need to have a educational back ground for teaching, nor do they need to do the same things that schools are doing. The public school systems have very little to do with a persons success... as many many who have went through the public school system are unsuccessful as well.... 

https://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000002/00000214.asp

https://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Curriculum.asp

Edited by PrairieGirl

But, I do understand to a lot of people Homeschooling is foreign and I can see how the system has twisted a lot of peoples minds on who is qualified to teach their children. It's kind of the same as the world, many of them do not listen to us as witnesses feeling we are not qualified to teach the Bible either. After all we didn't get to seminary, or college to be ministers, like most of the worldly ministers do. 

It's doesn't matter what positive examples we show or how statistics are on our side know. Or even how many in the last 10 years of the national spelling be were homeschooled. Most people on this site are ignorant to homeschooling methods and are not interested in learning about them. They hear good/bad examples and run with those.

Also it's completely ludicrous to say that we aren't educated enought to teach our children. I teach strangers the bible and some says that's ludicrous as well.

I personally though this part of jwtalk form was for positive ubbuilding conversation regarding homeschooling. It is not that way. It's seems people have agendas of their own and are only trying to spin negativity.

Don't homeschool if you don't want to.

How can someone be anti social and out in service all of the time. Not impossible but improbable. I would hope spending hours and hours with worldly people in a closed environment (public school) wouldn't have been the answer.

I was wondering if there are any adults  (25-30 years old  +) on this forum who can give feedback on their experience being homeschooled as JW's and how it prepared them for adulthood and supporting themselves and a family - social situations, necessary functioning in the "world". It would be nice as a parent to get some perspective from the other side so to speak.

I was wondering what the basis of learning feedback would be? Are you considering homeschooling? If so there are groups of witnesses who currently homeschool and are having success. It's not an easy path but a excellent one to be on especially in the time we are living. I don't think much positive support will be found in this group.

I was wondering what the basis of learning feedback would be? Are you considering homeschooling? If so there are groups of witnesses who currently homeschool and are having success. It's not an easy path but a excellent one to be on especially in the time we are living. I don't think much positive support will be found in this group.

Having been a Social Worker and School Teacher (all secondary subjects and college math), as well as a home school Mom, I unilaterally give my utmost support to home school parents as well as parents dealing with the challenges of public/private school.  

Having been a Social Worker and School Teacher (all secondary subjects and college math), as well as a home school Mom, I unilaterally give my utmost support to home school parents as well as parents dealing with the challenges of public/private school.

Thanks for the support, I wish more people realized how difficult it is to homeschool and the sacrifices that are made. Interestingly there are not special groups that attend to the needs to a public school family. From my personal experience public school parents don't care or do to want to know really what their kids are being taught. They worry about holidays and birthdays and the prom, but the actual isn't discussed. If was fine for them.. Then it's fine for the kids. Time has changed. Satan controls our educational,system like everything else. If he can make people not care and he can slide in something subversive or insidious in to our youngs minds... Jolly for him. Also the sexual perversion within out schools is at an alariminly disgusting level.

It also really saddens me to hear people happy to get rid of their kids! They are actually annoyed by their own children's presence. They can wait to send them away to Satan's house. Why have children! Sickening.

There are two sisters from my old congregation that are home schooling their daughters. The interesting fact about both of them is that they both are legal immigrants that are not completely fluent in English or well educated in their former country. One of the girls is a 15 year old regular pioneer that makes posts on Instagram with gross errors . The other 14 year old cannot be a regular pioneer because her mom is not able to commit yet. But that is the goal for the near future. I personally disagree on both cases. As it was mentioned before, the parents should be involved and educated enough to supervise the learning process. However I never said a word about it and never will. In my case the issue was never raised. I definitely do not have the patience necessary to teach effectively. If you are not a gifted instructor you should not consider to home school you children. That is my humble opinion. You are completely entitled to disagree.

So if you are not a gifted instructor you shouldn't gave a bible study either. I am so thankful Jehovah doesn't feel that way and provides tons of training to be proficient teachers.

Edited by Elijahsmama