JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Feedback/perspective from adults who were homeschooled

One of my former students will never pass the NY State equivalency High School Completion, which is no longer the GED, but the tasc. (When I tabe tested him, his verbal scores were abysmally low. English is his second language.) Yet, he is a brilliant auto mechanic, as is his father and brother. He needs a High school diploma for entrance into auto mechanic school, so that he can be certified. Is anybody using a Distance High School learning program that is inexpensive?  His father helps with some of my auto problems, b/c he knows I am trying to help his son, (as well as many of my former students who have the same situation. ) Our county did not have a graduation in 2014. I do not know if anyone (besides myself) had grads. NOt sure if there was a 2015 graduation, because I retired this year.   

No, but NY is much harder on homeschool laws. I would most likely join a umbrella, and just do what they say to do to get your diploma. They will issue you the diploma themselves. There is many inexpensive umbrellas. That or look on the HSLDA website about how to take the proper transcripts and make your own diploma (completely legal). 

Many people like Penn Foster as well. And you can get it free-it's out of copy rights I believe. And most umbrella schools will accept that as your curricula. And then you send in the proof the children did that curricula (they tell you what to send in) and then they will give you a diploma. 

There are at least two witness ones New System School is a little expensive in my opinion (about 200 or so dollars a year), and then there is a cheaper one too, but I never remember the cheaper ones name NHS something? (maybe like New Home School?) They are cheaper then NSS. And do nor require a HSLDA membership. But, both are owned and ran by brothers. 

I followed this topic for the last few days and I've found it quite educational.  I learned much from you sisters that home school. Some of the suggestions about the programs you use, I will be passing along. The dedication and commitment that goes into it is truly commendable.  it's like having a full time job if not more. It certainly shows your love for your kids.

Having said this, I firmly believe that whatever choice is undertaken in educating children is to be respected. One method is not above the other. I think results vary from country to country.

Home schooling seems to be really popular in the United States. Not as popular in Canada and Europe. But it appears standards  are a little lower is the States. For example Elijahsmama said she was able to find work as a pharmacy technician with only a special class and an exam to be certified. Here in Canada, a pharmacy technician is required to attend a community college for 2 years with prerequisites of advanced biology, chemistry, math and English.

in my area there are presently  only  2 or 3 moms that home school.  Most of the young moms were happy to send their children to school so they could get  back on the regular pioneer list. That's ok too.

Personally I thought about it, but then decided to send my children to the local neighborhood public school. I supervised quite closely and developed a good rapport with teachers and we had lots of opportunities to share our faith.

All the best to all of you

Homescooling is a legally recognized form of schooling in all states. Each state has its separate requirement. A student who graduates from a homeschool has earned a diploma just like a student who gradutes from high school. That student may or may not seek additional schooling in a college of higher learning or some other form of technical training. Some students in public and homeschools choose to apprentice or on the job training in their chosen field of employment. Legally speaking their diplomas are considered equal. All schooling produces different results. No child learns exactly the same in either setting. Some children are more proficient at certain subjects whether public or home schooled. Some children are self motivated in both forms of schooling. Some children are introverts in both forms of schooling. Each parent must decide which is best for their child. A diploma from a public school does not get a child into a college of higher learning quicker than a diploma from a homeschool. I really feel like this topic has been thouroghly argued on both sides. I wish everyone would just drop it.

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Exactly what Norma said. 

Even though you say you respect it, saying I am joking as in... there is no way that our education we give our children could measure up to a public school education, seems very demeaning to me. 

Many homeschooling mothers here also pioneer. In fact all the ones I grew up with did pioneer. That is one very very nice part of homeschooling your children can get a education in the ministry. It's called community service. Which for obvious reasons many colleges like to see on the transcripts. 

Edited by PrairieGirl

I followed this topic for the last few days and I've found it quite educational.  I learned much from you sisters that home school. Some of the suggestions about the programs you use, I will be passing along. The dedication and commitment that goes into it is truly commendable.  it's like having a full time job if not more. It certainly shows your love for your kids.

Having said this, I firmly believe that whatever choice is undertaken in educating children is to be respected. One method is not above the other. I think results vary from country to country.

Home schooling seems to be really popular in the United States. Not as popular in Canada and Europe. But it appears standards  are a little lower is the States. For example Elijahsmama said she was able to find work as a pharmacy technician with only a special class and an exam to be certified. Here in Canada, a pharmacy technician is required to attend a community college for 2 years with prerequisites of advanced biology, chemistry, math and English.

in my area there are presently  only  2 or 3 moms that home school.  Most of the young moms were happy to send their children to school so they could get  back on the regular pioneer list. That's ok too.

Personally I thought about it, but then decided to send my children to the local neighborhood public school. I supervised quite closely and developed a good rapport with teachers and we had lots of opportunities to share our faith.

All the best to all of you

Actually I did some research. Canada has a pharmacy board just like the United States. To become a certified phamacy technician you must take the certification test. Prerequisite are not required but encouraged (like working in a pharmacy). However, if you can take the test and pass you are certified. Perhaps in your area schools are telling you need to get an associates degree but it is completely unnecessary, a waste of time and resources. We have technical schools in my area that charge 10,000 and take 18 months to go through to become a technician. I spent 600 and 12 weeks. A certified technician I work with just took the test,but she already had retail pharmacy experience. We all work in the hospital together and make the same amount. Besides we aren't pharmacists, we work for them. To become a doctor of pharmacy (pharmD) it is 6 years of school. They don't make enough money to be one of them. Besides the processes we use in our different countries follow very similar guildlines as far as techniques are concerned.

Anyways, I don't mean to put a wrench on this thread that promotes home school, but I think that we need to be realistic , that at some point even exceptional home schooled children will need to get some external education, especially if they want to go to college.

Just reread this and you are completely misinformed.!!! There is no difference between a homeschool graduate and a public school graduate as far as colleges are concerned. Also, in Pennsylvania (I am sure other states are the same) you can take college classes while in high schoo.

yes, In Kansas you can dual enroll you can be in college at the age of 14 while homeschooling. One brother here who is my parents age, was the youngest one at the time to graduate college, he was homeschooled, and graduated college at 14 years old. He now works for NASA as a engineer. 

But, the laws in Kansas are, your actual high school or what ever really by law doesn't matter, you can test in to any community college. 

I am not trying to be mean at all... but it is weird that some one would keep on saying things as fact that they obviously have not done research on... although you have said you researched it... it seems almost impossible because so many things stated are completely false. I suggest educating yourself on the actual facts, HSLDA.org has the legal FACTS on homeschooling. Most of us who homeschool have ACTUALLY done the legal research on homeschooling. So what we are saying is not just pulled out of the sky, or our own thoughts, but the actual LAWS. And actual facts. BTW, while I do realize (because many people from Canada are also on the same homeschool websites as those of us in the USA), that in Canada it is still the frontier of homeschooling (ours was in the 80's here), the laws are basically the same for such. 

But, as I have stated before, public school through history and civics, and even language arts, likes to sneak in national propaganda, which would make you feel if you are from Canada that Canada is superior, the people are more educated, better then, etc. Same for the public schools in the USA, they will subversively make the people feel they are the best. And same for Britain, Aus, China, etc etc... every government is going to do what they can to keep people loyal and patriotic towards their own government. 

Edited by PrairieGirl

Pauline,

Does your former student have any prevous high school credits? James Madison High School is very affordable and works with credits from previous schools also - both online and brick and mortar. https://www.jmhs.com/

Hi, and thanks! That's one of the ones I was looking at. So many of my former students (including ones with relatives in the Truth) are looking for help and tutoring, as high school completion has become a problem in this county. The reason I retired was due to poor admins, (big surprise!)  I feel badly for my former students that are unable to get vocational training without a diploma. I'm going to continue researching for an accredited high  that has the lowest monthly tuition payment. James Madison may be the one!

you don't need accredited high school for a legal diploma, there are very very few colleges (they are like the great big expensive ones) that care if it is accredited or not. 

Is there a reason not to take the proper transcripts and make one? Doesn't that seem cheapest? In NY that is legal. There is only a hand full of states that it is not. And in those you have to have a umbrella which seems to be would be cheaper then any online accredited high school.

Unless I was understanding it incorrectly, it didn't seem that expensive, at least for one child. The option to take a discount before upfront payment or pay $29 or $49 a month for a good education seems pretty reasonable, at least if my interpretation of the yearly tuition being around $1400 was correct. Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

I had tried a couple of online schools when I was doing it. Found one to be quite mediocre and one to be much better. I don't know if those schools are still operational and I don't really want to name the 'mediocre' school on this forum. But I do believe options in homeschooling have probably vastly improved even in the past ten years.

Personally, I was not home schooled, but I know quite a few kids I grew up with that did home schooling. 

Most of them have done well! I don't think home schooling itself is a big deal- I would have loved to do independent study my last year or two of high school. Why? Because I spent an hour each in 6 different classroom every day, and literally did 10-15 minutes worth of work in that time. There were very few lectures by the teacher, just book work and worksheets. I could do that at home on my own!

However I don't think home schooling for ME would have been possible, only because of math. I would probably have had to go to the local community college to take math, since I need a teacher to explain and write out what to do before I understand it. I can't just read it and understand right away unfortunately :(

Personally, I was not home schooled, but I know quite a few kids I grew up with that did home schooling. 

Most of them have done well! I don't think home schooling itself is a big deal- I would have loved to do independent study my last year or two of high school. Why? Because I spent an hour each in 6 different classroom every day, and literally did 10-15 minutes worth of work in that time. There were very few lectures by the teacher, just book work and worksheets. I could do that at home on my own!

However I don't think home schooling for ME would have been possible, only because of math. I would probably have had to go to the local community college to take math, since I need a teacher to explain and write out what to do before I understand it. I can't just read it and understand right away unfortunately :(

I totally understand that. What I think is the disconnect with homeschooling and many people is they think "my kid will be alone" or "there is no way I could teach this". The beautiful thing will homeschooling now, is there are so many resources we take advantage of to make it the best education. Think of the wasted time you lost even if you did take that math course at a community college or has a tutor help you. Once people see the big picture homeschooling is a great option. Besides that math you struggled with, you'll never use it. My job requires calculations (pharmacy technician) now a days the pharmacists only pull out their calculators to double check the computer because it is done automatically. They end up doing the math for me. My husband houses trig but because he frames houses. He needs that. But most of the "higher" math in school is unnecessary. Figuring out how to balance a checkbook or percentage off (for sales) that's we is really needed.

Unless I was understanding it incorrectly, it didn't seem that expensive, at least for one child. The option to take a discount before upfront payment or pay $29 or $49 a month for a good education seems pretty reasonable, at least if my interpretation of the yearly tuition being around $1400 was correct. Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

Actually the full high school tuition if paid in full is less than $1400, less than $1600 if paid with a monthly plan. But they also take off part of the tuition for any work/credits previously received - both home school and brick and mortar, which can greatly reduce the tuition and monthly rate.

"Actually the full high school tuition if paid in full is less than $1400, less than $1600 if paid with a monthly plan. But they also take off part of the tuition for any work/credits previously received - both home school and brick and mortar, which can greatly reduce the tuition and monthly rate."

Dear Sister Lash, which school were you talking about? The KIngdom School is not recognized in NY

Edited by kejedo

Um as far as I know it IS recognized as a umbrella in NY... to me 1400-1600 seems like a lot compared to 200... but that's just me. lol I would not spend that much myself. I can give a really good education for far less... I thought 200 was a lot of money, but 1400 just seems crazy in my opinion for high school. College, maybe.. but high school... but each has their own thoughts on that. You can still make your own high school diploma by law of NY as well. 

Lauren today many states would allow you to take your math at a local college for free. Also there is Khan Academy that is FREE that also explains things. And then there is also Teaching Textbooks -videos. And Life of Fred. All explain math broke down with videos (except for life of fred, it's comics! lol haha) 

Also there is a program set up by a sister that any one can for for only a couple of hundred dollars. Sister Jenny Westbrook made it up, it's the curricula only though, you would have to keep the transcripts how HSLDA will tell you for NY, and then make your own diploma. (HSLDA tells you how you can order and make them).