JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Alternative paths to vocation

As for the young man whose gf's family are JWs, I will help him try to establish an apprenticeship program with his father's authorized Mechanic shop. He may or may not need a high school diploma to get the Dept Of Labor Authorization. I will also help him research the easiest route for high school completion, if necessary. He and his gf read our literature. This is also an avenue for others to consider for their children (or for adults) who happen to be looking for hands-on entry to the work force, especially if they already know a skilled trades person. The US Dept of Labor approves apprenticeship programs in every US State, and it is generally underutilized. People will need to do some research in their field of interest and deal with copious amounts of paperwork. For instance, when I was still in the NH area, hairstylists could be trained in a hair salon rather than attending Barber/Beauty School. I am not sure if that is still true in NH. For further research: US Department of Labor, Apprenticeships.

Edited by kejedo

Very interesting suggestion and usually those jobs are highly desirable and make a decent wage. Also a plus on the job training aka apprenticeship is the best way to learn the skill. Getting to see it in real time instead of in a technical school setting. Even with my job, I was not trained in the least for my job as a pharmacy technician. I had to memorize drugs and calculate dosage which was so unnecessary. I was trained on the job for the actual things we need, like make IVs and such.

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2015 at 10:30 PM, kejedo said:

As for the young man whose gf's family are JWs, I will help him try to establish an apprenticeship program with his father's authorized Mechanic shop. He may or may not need a high school diploma to get the Dept Of Labor Authorization. I will also help him research the easiest route for high school completion, if necessary. He and his gf read our literature. This is also an avenue for others to consider for their children (or for adults) who happen to be looking for hands-on entry to the work force, especially if they already know a skilled trades person. The US Dept of Labor approves apprenticeship programs in every US State, and it is generally underutilized. People will need to do some research in their field of interest and deal with copious amounts of paperwork. For instance, when I was still in the NH area, hairstylists could be trained in a hair salon rather than attending Barber/Beauty School. I am not sure if that is still true in NH. For further research: US Department of Labor, Apprenticeships.

You sound like my mother very well, because of my father's many skills

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :)