JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Donald Trump urges ban on Muslims coming to US - BBC News

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3025 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We were talking about this in service today too. Some of Trump's comments are so outlandish and divisive that to a rational person it seems unlikely he could ever be elected. But then again, the American public seem unusually fed up with the growing attacks on morality and (mainstream Christian) religion.

I think they are frustrated that no one in power seems to really care what they think. The iron and the clay just can't seem to coexist anymore. Trump strikes a chord with those people, in my opinion, and though I find his views repugnant, I would no longer be totally shocked if he got elected. I think, too, people are drawn to the fact that he is completely unafraid to express his opinion.

Unrest, frustration, fear...seem to be affecting the whole world. I think we're really close to the end.

I think we are extremely close too. I also find it interesting that Trump is not resolved as a religious person, he really is just playing the Christianity card for ratings... Here is an article that shows that people are not impressed with his statements of being Christian and say he doesn't know anything about the bible. To me he would be one to easily turn against all religion fast just like wanting to ban Muslims because it's not important to him.

http://www.redstate.com/diary/southernconstitutionalist/2015/09/06/donald-trumps-religious-pandering-insults-intelligence-christians/

Christian absolutely has to ask God for forgiveness. Jesus died to pay our debt so that we could be forgiven. When Trump says that he has never asked God for forgiveness, he reveals that he doesn’t understand Christianity at all.

Trump’s commentary on Communion is almost condescending, and again he misses the point. Communion isn’t for “cleansing,” it is done in remembrance of Jesus’s death on the cross.

It is clear that Donald Trump has never read the Bible. Or he has never understood what he has read. That brings us to his statements on the Bible:

Edited by carlos

Added quotation format to make clear those are the newspaper's words, not Trina's

I think they are frustrated that no one in power seems to really care what they think. The iron and the clay just can't seem to coexist anymore. Trump strikes a chord with those people, in my opinion, and though I find his views repugnant, I would no longer be totally shocked if he got elected. I think, too, people are drawn to the fact that he is completely unafraid to express his opinion.

This was the exact same thing that was said on NPR today.  The Republican Party has spent decades gathering together blue-collar, working class supporters with limited to no college education.  These people currently feel disenfranchised and are tired that no political official has yet to speak up for their needs.  In Trump they have found someone that is speaking for them and someone that they feel can turn the economy around into a direction they would like it to go.

I have a few worldly associates on Facebook that I follow.  Despite the latest scathing news critiques of Trump, they continue to support him.  Some are even sharing his comments about banning Muslims.  

I may be completely off base about Trump's chances.  If he makes it to November as the Republican candidate, this should prove to be an interesting election.  I still do not see him having a chance as a 3rd party candidate.  I also really don't see how he can survive the negative backlash from his comments this week.

Trump’s commentary on Communion is almost condescending, and again he misses the point. Communion isn’t for “cleansing,” it is done in remembrance of Jesus’s death on the cross.

Cross?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I may be completely off base about Trump's chances.  If he makes it to November as the Republican candidate, this should prove to be an interesting election.  I still do not see him having a chance as a 3rd party candidate.  I also really don't see how he can survive the negative backlash from his comments this week.

He may have carried it too far this time, but honestly, it's like he wears a Teflon suit. :lol:

Trump admits even he is terrified of Trump presidency

11-12-15

DONALD Trump has revealed he has had nightmares about him becoming president.

The billionaire is favourite to win the Republican nomination, although deep down he realises he is not fit to be president of his own hair.

Addressing a rally in Philadelphia Trump said: “I’ll be honest with you folks. I’m not the sort of guy who thinks things through and that’s why you seem to like me.

“I’m just a regular guy who watches the news, gets angry and starts spouting aloud harebrained, unworkable schemes.

“Thing is, when I’m elected I’m going to have to do these things, because a Trump doesn’t back down. But I tell you, with me in charge America would probably turn into a giant, paranoid, neo-fascist gun range, and that scares me.

“Also, I could blow up the White House, with me in it, because there’s a foreigner in the building. What if I get a whiff of North African spices coming from the kitchen? I could go berserk.”

He added: “It’s like my daddy always told me – ‘Son’, he’d say, puffing on his cigar, ‘You’re an idiot’.”

Since making the speech, Trump’s lead has increased by nine percent.

Source: The Daily Mash. (A British satirical website)

Edited by bohemian

I am feeling a little uncomfortable reading this thread.

I understand Donald Trump is a freaky character and that he has made some controversial or outright stupid statements. But please don't forget that we are not anti-Trump any more than we are pro-Trump. We wouldn't want to give the impression to any casual reader that Jehovah's Witnesses or this site are against a particular politician. Our comments must indicate our absolute neutrality.

Edited by carlos

I agree with Carlos, looks like many are walking on a slippery slope here. I mean which of the other politicians speak truths, do you trust, are you going to vote far? It's kind of like the media venues many comment on, really which one does not manipulate to get the most viewers they can?

Edited by Your Brother

Carlos, I don't think you have to be so concerned. What should be expected from zelous brothers and sisters doing their bible reading and and with eager anticipation expecting bible prophecies to get fulfilled.

Excluding Donald Trump from having part in that is to early.

I am feeling a little uncomfortable reading this thread.

I understand Donald Trump is a freaky character and that he has made some controversial or outright stupid statements. But please don't forget that we are not anti-Trump any more than we are pro-Trump. We wouldn't want to give the impression to any casual reader that Jehovah's Witnesses or this site are against a particular politician. Our comments must indicate our absolute neutrality.

That is actually an excellent point because after I looked at my own comment later, it struck me that I wasn't being completely neutral about Mr. Trump but by then it was too late to edit/delete the comment. Anyway, the whole world scenario as applies to increasing hostility towards religion is quite riveting though I agree it's best to strictly maintain our neutrality.

Thanks for the reminder.

Carlos, I don't think you have to be so concerned. What should be expected from zelous brothers and sisters doing their bible reading and and with eager anticipation expecting bible prophecies to get fulfilled.

Excluding Donald Trump from having part in that is to early.

Thank you, Jan. I'm not saying Trump will or will not have a role in the fulfillment of prophecies. We'll have to wait and see. :)

It's hard not to call someone an idiot when he's saying idiot things. What makes me uncomfortable is that this is a public forum. All of us understand that we are neutral. But if a non-Witness visitor reads all those posts, could they get a wrong impression of our political sympathies?

Thank you, Jan. I'm not saying Trump will or will not have a role in the fulfillment of prophecies. We'll have to wait and see. :)

It's hard not to call someone an idiot when he's saying idiot things. What makes me uncomfortable is that this is a public forum. All of us understand that we are neutral. But if a non-Witness visitor reads all those posts, could they get a wrong impression of our political sympathies?

Carlos,  thanks for the reminder on that on that point - I had meant to do it for the past couple weeks but kept forgetting.

Yes, we should watch what we say, remain neutral and remember that many of the forum topics can be seen by anyone on the Internet.  We wouldn't say certain things when talking at work on controversial or political matters, likewise it should be the same on some of these public forums. Google jwnet and a username on any computer and you will see many posts here on multiple topics.   It's there, comments and all.

Let me see - Trump agreeing to being someone else's #2 (as in humbly accepting a spot that is NOT #1 ). Nope, cant see it. :lol1:

I think its more likely he'll run as an independent.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Let me see - Trump agreeing to being someone else's #2 (as in humbly accepting a spot that is NOT #1 ). Nope, cant see it. :lol1:

Do you think he would consider 4 years as #2 with a possibility of 8 years as #1?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Brother Richard, that seems possible. And yet on the news this morning they interviewed a group of republican supporters and how they were sick of the government's so far and were willing to for the first time change parties and even promote Trump because he is willing to make really drastic changes, such as banning the Muslims from coming into the U.S. and more. I am so shocked at the constant support of him when he makes these statements on banning a religion, shutting mosques and more.

To me it shows how close we are with people being ok with someone getting rid of a religion or certain people. I don't think we have seen this before with supporters. Times are really different.

*Oh, and the people expressing these views on the news were not one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

To me it shows how close we are with people being ok with someone getting rid of a religion or certain people. I don't think we have seen this before with supporters. Times are really different.

Whilst Trump is using pretty strong language for a Western politician, I would suggest there are plenty of instances of people being OK with getting rid of other people or religions.  The most obvious one is Nazi Germany but there are a whole host of genocides to go back on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genocides_by_death_toll

I tend only to discuss politics on here or with immediate friends/family aka those I live with who watch the news with me and close JW friends.. Someone recently said they hoped Donald Trump got it. I said oh dear I personally hope non of them get it  :lol: I personally don't like Donald Trump's personality with or without politics. His ideas scare me :unsure: Even before he ran for president I didn't care for his behavior...

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I just think he's as thick as a brick. ... He says to ban Muslims etc and yet most of his business dealing are in the middle east. ..I saw a news report of one of his employees standing in front of 'Trump Towers ' explain that the general mood was not good and that he personally was thinking of leaving.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.