JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our Older Publications

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2747 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

In another recent thread, I saw "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah" mentioned.

I have a copy of this book.

I looked to see what would be the oldest book of ours that I possess. 
It appears to be a book written by J.F. Rutherford
and published by Watchtower Bible and Tract Society
International Bible Students Association
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.
post-5984-0-42724800-1450216573_thumb.jp
The book is entitled "Jehovah".  First printing 1,000,000 copies.
post-5984-0-72280700-1450216512_thumb.jp

An old lithograph in the front says: Copyrighted 1934 by J.F. Rutherford.
post-5984-0-33337200-1450216649.jpg
Was that the year that this book was first published?
I'm trying to keep them in order: oldest to newest.

I also have:
"Let God Be True" (2 copies, original and revised)
"New Heavens and a New Earth"
"This Means Everlasting Life"
"Babylon the Great Has Fallen! God's Kingdom Rules!"
"Let Your Name Be Sanctified"
"Life Everlasting In Freedom for the Sons of God"
"Then Is Finished the Mystery of God"
"God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached"
"The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah"
"Paradise Restored to Mankind By Theocracy"
and that leads up to the first book I studied in the CBS: "Man's Salvation" ^_^ 

Anybody else have any REALLY, REALLY  old publications? :huh: 
Anybody remember a book called "New World Living For Today"?
or something like that? :wacko:  The jist of the book was how we should
already be living like we are in the New World.

I loaned it out, about 30 years ago, and never got it back. :unsure: 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

In another recent thread, I saw "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah" mentioned.

I have a copy of this book.

I looked to see what would be the oldest book of ours that I possess. 
It appears to be a book written by J.F. Rutherford
and published by Watchtower Bible and Tract Society
International Bible Students Association
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.
The book is entitled "Jehovah".  First printing 1,000,000 copies.

An old lithograph in the front says: Copyrighted 1934 by J.F. Rutherford.
Was that the year that this book was first published?
I'm trying to keep them in order: oldest to newest.

I also have:
"Let God Be True" (2 copies, original and revised)
"New Heavens and a New Earth"
"This Means Everlasting Life"
"Babylon the Great Has Fallen! God's Kingdom Rules!"
"Let Your Name Be Sanctified"
"Life Everlasting In Freedom for the Sons of God"
"Then Is Finished the Mystery of God"
"God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached"
"The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah"
"Paradise Restored to Mankind By Theocracy"
and that leads up to the first book I studied in the CBS: "Man's Salvation" ^_^ 

Anybody else have any REALLY, REALLY  old publications? :huh: 
Anybody remember a book called "New World Living For Today"?
or something like that? :wacko:  The jist of the book was how we should
already be living like we are in the New World.

I loaned it out, about 30 years ago, and never got it back. :unsure: 

I have a copy of the Bible... it's 3500 years old!

Actually I used to have all the old books and mags back to the 1880's Watchtowers... and Studies in the Scriptures... I inherited them from an older brother... who's mother was in the Truth back in Russell's day, 1800's ... I gave them to a Kingdom Hall so everyone could enjoy them.

Edited by jpcook

Have you considered donating this Bible to the branch for their Bible display?

http://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODBible/pub-jwbrd_201503_2_VIDEO

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

At our hall we have a lot of books from bro russells era including bound reprints of the 1800s watchtowers.

One of my memories from when i was young was an old book my dad had. It had some unusual pictures including one of satan and his 'gang' and one of the harlot (babylon), i think by a tower of babel.

Maybe someone with a copy could get copies uploaded

I bought a widow's mite many years ago at the end of Hezekiah's tunnel and I also loaned it out but can't remember who. So are you  joking about the 3,500 year old bible? Could it be the broken bits of the 10 commandments? :o) I just showed a couple of Mormon boys who knocked on our door and gave them a tour of our medieval bibles from 1595. One said that they have never seen anything like it and probably never will again. Too bad they couldn't do the NY bible tour that I told them about. Now they understand who Jehovah is and Jesus. Ciao tim

The oldest publications I have are pocket editions of the original six volumes of "Studies in the Scriptures." They vary in age from 1914-1920. You can see in the photo below the oldest is Volume III "Thy Kingdom Come." It has a stamp on it showing that it was printed in the Australia Bethel, which was in Melbourne at the time. Also, next to the title page is a diagram of the Great Pyramid of Giza. Very different times then  :uhhuh:

post-1665-0-37217200-1450256798_thumb.jp

post-1665-0-58101000-1450256801_thumb.jp

I recently have looked into acquiring some of the older publications to fill out my collection. There are plenty of old publications being sold on places like eBay and Amazon, some for reasonable, and some for more exorbitant prices. I don't feel entirely comfortable buying older publications, even as I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable selling any of mine. I guess I can ask around in my local congregation.

Some of the other older publications I have are about three books from the Rutherford era, as well as some books from the 1940s and 1950s, and most from 1961 onwards. It's interesting when you do some research and find out the purpose behind certain publications. For example, I have one book released in 1936 entitled "Riches." It seemed like any other book, but when you do some research, you discover some interesting things about this book. What happened in 1935? We came to understand the great crowd of Revelation would have the hope of living forever on earth. The following year, "Riches" was published. It was the first book to deal exclusively with the hope of the great crowd of living forever on earth, and was used to start studies with "the Jonadabs" as they were then known.

Going through some stuff in our storeroom, I recently found some other interesting documents, such as the November 1950 issue of Our Kingdom Ministry, known then as "Informant." It was just one page, double-sided, but it was the size of a newspaper! I also have several convention programs from 1978 onwards. Interesting how they used to print the names of speakers in them, and even more interesting to come across some familiar names!

The oldest book I have is called The Way to Paradise, written by W. E. Van Amburgh, dated 1925 (but it's not in very good condition).

post-1993-0-13526700-1450294528_thumb.jp

post-1993-0-10358000-1450294539_thumb.jp

I remember reading through it once, before I was baptized I think. Since authors' names were printed in those days, it made the books somewhat more personal, IMO.

The oldest book I have is called The Way to Paradise, written by W. E. Van Amburgh, dated 1925 (but it's not in very good condition).

attachicon.gifDSCN1031.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1032.JPG

I remember reading through it once, before I was baptized I think. Since authors' names were printed in those days, it made the books somewhat more personal, IMO.

Tried to "Like" your post, Brother Eric, but keep getting this 'error' message.

post-5984-0-56456200-1450297209.gif

Anyways, no mistake was made.  I really DO 'Like' your post. ^_^ 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I also have numerous brochures (little ones, when they measured 7 X 4½ inches). Here are the oldest ones I have:

attachicon.gifDSCN1033.JPG

I see you have those on your site too, Jonathan. :thumbsup:

Didn't we call them booklets?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 9 months later...

I have some pages from the Bible from the middle 1500's.  I have copies of the booklets by Henry Grew, George Storrs and Jonas Wendell.  My oldest 'original' theocratic publications are the "Millennial Dawn" series starting with the Divine Plan book. There are a few gaps but I have almost every  bound book that our organization has ever printed.  I have most of the booklets (at least back to the 1930's).  I made it my goal to read every book we ever printed and I need to read just 30 more to finish the project.

As a side point: I really enjoyed reading the "Harp of God" book (1920).  It lays out the basic truths one at a time.  They are likened to the 10 strings on God's Harp.  You could use that book today and people would still get the light and truth of God's Word.