JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.org - Irina Zakharchenko and Valida Jabrayilova Finally Released From Unjust Imprisonment

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3007 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

BTW we know a sister in their congregation. If anyone wants to 'help' out in any way then please let me know and I will ask my wife to contact the sister. The Ukraine sister used to be in the same congregation we lived in Dnepropetrovsk , Ukraine and married an Azerbaijan man and moved to Baku the capitol of Azerbaijan. My wife is in Ukraine until March helping worldly relatives who are sick. Just a thought if you want to help them. There is also a young brother who is in a military base under lock and key but no-one knows much about him. Poor guy. Young and by himself. 

1 hour ago, waccamacca said:

BTW we know a sister in their congregation. If anyone wants to 'help' out in any way then please let me know and I will ask my wife to contact the sister. The Ukraine sister used to be in the same congregation we lived in Dnepropetrovsk , Ukraine and married an Azerbaijan man and moved to Baku the capitol of Azerbaijan. My wife is in Ukraine until March helping worldly relatives who are sick. Just a thought if you want to help them. There is also a young brother who is in a military base under lock and key but no-one knows much about him. Poor guy. Young and by himself. 

Azerbaijan: One conscientious objector jailed, others called up

By Felix Corley, Forum 18 News Service <http://www.forum18.org>

The latest conscientious objector to be jailed in Azerbaijan is a 19-year-old Jehovah's Witness, Forum 18 News Service has learned. Fakhraddin Mirzayev was given a one-year prison sentence on 25 September by a court in Gyanja. He has lodged an appeal. "This is the first criminal prosecution of a Jehovah's Witness conscientious objector in Azerbaijan since Farid Mammedov was imprisoned in September 2010," Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18. "Others have been investigated, but their cases were never referred to court." Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18 that up to 20 others have been called up in the latest conscription round. Asked if the young men fear being prosecuted and possibly imprisoned, one Jehovah's Witness responded: "I'm not sure they're afraid – it's just a reality. They are aware of this when they become Jehovah's Witnesses. They are not afraid just because they are following their consciences." In January 2001, Azerbaijan promised the Council of Europe that it would within two years pardon all jailed conscientious objectors and introduce alternative civilian service.

A 19-year-old Jehovah's Witness conscientious objector to compulsory military service yesterday (15 October) lodged an appeal against his imprisonment, Forum 18 News Service has learned. Fakhraddin Mirzayev was given a one-year prison sentence on 25 September by a court in Azerbaijan's second city Gyanja [Gäncä]. "This is the first criminal prosecution of a Jehovah's Witness conscientious objector in Azerbaijan since Farid Mammedov was imprisoned in September 2010," Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18. "Others have been investigated, but their cases were never referred to court." [...] 

The rest of the story is at the link.

Link 19-year old conscripted

Thanks sister Sandra  for the link. I have been following Forum18 for years. A very good source which has often been referenced by JW.org.

Poor young brother. If I was 19 or if I was 59 I would still be scared. Some Russian and Ukraine witnesses have told me of their stories of years in prison and at times they were very scared. Especially these are not Australian or American prisons where you have the basics of life. 

I haven't been to Azerbaijan but I have lived in Ukraine and traveled through Russia and Belarus and I can imagine the conditions will be on par. We need an 'equalizing' in so many ways I cannot count.