JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favorite movies

"Oh Brother Where Art Thou", "While You Were Sleeping," "The Princess Bride", "Gone With The Wind," "To Kill A Mocking Bird", "Little Big Man", "Rear Window", "The Man Who Knew Too Much", "Adventures In Baby Sitting", "The Magnificent Seven", "Bullet",  "Doctor Shivago", "Empire of The Sun"  and the list goes on.

I will say I have enough years on me that long periods of time can pass before we re-watch a movie, but some we come across one while clicking channels and we watch it again. 

Then there are the musicals "The Man From La Mancha", "Fiddler On The Roof", "Show Boat", "Phantom of The Opera",  "Carmen Jones", and a number of others.

Maybe it is just because we prefer what we are familiar with rather than taking chance on an unknown performance.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I have a number of "favorites" - like Star Trek and Star Wars.

On the less known list:

12:01 with Helen Slater and Jonathan Silverman

The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum and Curd Jurgens

The Day the Earth Stood Still the one from 1951 with Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal

I'm sure there are some others, but I'll get to them later :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

I have a number of "favorites" - like Star Trek and Star Wars.

On the less known list:

12:01 with Helen Slater and Jonathan Silverman

The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum and Curd Jurgens

The Day the Earth Stood Still the one from 1951 with Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal

I'm sure there are some others, but I'll get to them later :thumbsup:

(Finally got reply box cleared.)

I too thought "The Enemy Below" was a good movie, only saw it once. How about "Das Boot". These are the two best submarine pictures I know of. No Clark Gable in either.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

The list of all of my favourite movies would be too long, but refering to the sentence "can watch 5 times and still enjoy":

• Star Wars IV - VI
  • Love Story
  • Despicable Me I + II
  • The Lion King (but only the Greek version, because I simply love the Greek voices of the caracters  - I cry every time Moufasa dies :cry:)
  • Jaws
  • I, Robot
  • The pursuit of happiness

Chrissy :wave:

I agree with Tortuga,  coonie and Omo's picks for mine... I love both The Incredibles and The Lion King and could watch them over and over again. Several other Disney movies too, the top two being Mulan and The Lion King 2 (had the VHS of that as a kid before we got the original on DVD lol). They all were a part of my childhood so I have a soft spot for them both :) 

Edited by JayMusicGirl

1 hour ago, JayMusicGirl said:

I agree with Tortuga,  coonie and Omo's picks for mine... I love both The Incredibles and The Lion King and could watch them over and over again. Several other Disney movies too, the top two being Mulan and The Lion King 2 (had the VHS of that as a kid before we got the original on DVD lol). They all were a part of my childhood so I have a soft spot for them both :) 

Mulan with subtitles and Incredibles with subtitle... but we needed now to avoid them... to stop putting more garlic powder in ourselves... We were not in hotel transylvania anymore... oopss

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

I think I saw The Lion King when it first came out and I'm not judging anyone that likes it however  from what I remember of the show, I would feel very uncomfortable watching it again. I recall that it had a lot of spiritual and ritualistic undertones, is that correct?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

20 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I think I saw The Lion King when it first came out and I'm not judging anyone that likes it however  from what I remember of the show, I would feel very uncomfortable watching it again. I recall that it had a lot of spiritual and ritualistic undertones, is that correct?

Yes... knowing that in those times disney directors or even animators (?) should be all male.

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

We are strange creatures. I read a book years ago, and just loved it. So, when I came across it, bought it, and then started to reread it, and I thought I needed a mind transplant years ago when I read the thing. Let alone thought it was one of my favorite books. 

But I have a goofy black and white low budget movie that is one of my most favorites. It is Cha-Cha-cha-Boom! Prez Prado. I enjoy the music and dancing. Obviously, dated. The fifties. I just got it out. Husband going to the doctor, I will put it on as I do house work. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

1. Captain Blood

2. The Adventures of Robin Hood (with Errol Flynn)

3. The Man in the Iron Mask (with Richard Chamberlain)

4. Robots (pixar movie)

5. Pacific Rim

6. Transformers (1st one)

7. Hackers

8. The Thing (John Carpenter's version - edited for television)

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My wife and I felt the same when we saw it. The characters were well done, loved the wart hog, many laughs, but came away with an uncomfortable feeling.

What is strange is that we can watch most movies knowing they all originate in this old system with a grain of salt.

An example: It's A Wonderful Life, a movie we really like, okay, an angel gets his wings, but that didn't detract from human and moral values of the plot.

Wizard of Oz, the same. Lion King not so much, to me kind of icky.

Another movie that I LOVE is...Captains Courageous...starring Spencer Tracy,  Lionel Barrymore and child actor Freddie Bartholomew. & John Carradine...from a novel by Rudyard Kipling published in 1897.

It was made into a movie for release  in 1937....it is truly a good  film...it tells the story of a spoiled rich boy who falls overboard on a  transatlantic steamship.  As the ship disappears  from sight the boy, fortunately, is spied out by a

Portuguese fisherman...who picks him up out of the sea and takes him back to the fishing vessel....where the story

unfolds.

This is a moving  film, with a momentous lesson for all viewers...especially, young children...and anyone else who enjoys excellent writing and superb acting.

P.S. for real...your children or your grandchildren will love this film...and so will you...I bet?....it is amazing how relevant this film is even though  it was made 79 years ago.

Edited by nanceebgd46

changed a word

Shawshank Redemption!!!  Hands down favorite.  Beautiful story of friendship. 

PS I Love You---hits all bells and whistles for me

One True Thing---amazing movie of family dynamics and how the relationship between father/daughter/mother changes when with a life taking illness and roles must be reversed

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!