JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

vegetarian diet

• 1 year later...

It's easier if you do it gradually. Do you know anybody else who is vegetarian or going vegetarian? It helps not being alone. For some reason some people may try to get you to eat meat again as well.

Find out where all the vegetarian/vegan restaurants are nearby, or wherever you plan to travel, as well as restaurants that give a good selection. Some restaurants will give you a lot of choices, while others seem to just throw together some basic salad. Where you live will also impact how easy/difficult it is, altho fortunately vegetarian meals are usually cheaper.

• 2 months later...

I've been vegetarian for many years; I started for moral reasons, the way animals are treated, plus the cleanliness of meat, (hormones, antibiotics,et ). I eat fish.

It's really not difficult; the main things to eat are fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts & seeds.

This was also the main diet of the ancient Jews.

The ancient Hebrews were herdsman that considered their animals too valuable to be used as regular table food. Goats and sheep were more important as dairy livestock.

Meat-eating was a luxury reserved for special feasts. There was a lot of meat in a cow and no way to preserve it--only when a lot of people were available at a feast to finish it was it slaughtered.

They were vegetarians mainly by necessity, not by choice.

There was no law against eating meat although it was more 'permitted' than recommended.

Every day staple food for Abraham, Isaac & Jacob were grains (barley & wheat) and legumes, especially lentils, and a variety of vegetables & fruits.

We don't have to eat like this today, but it is a healthy diet and way of life if you are so inclined..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

7 hours ago, Dove said:

I've been vegetarian for many years; I started for moral reasons, the way animals are treated, plus the cleanliness of meat, (hormones, antibiotics,et ). I eat fish.

Hello fellow pescatarian. B)

One of my  grand-daughters presented our family with a new member,  Tuesday the 27th. Vivienne Estelle weighed in at 7 lbs. 4ozs.. 

To tell the truth I was a bit apprehensive, as Cookie (mother) is a pescatarian, and was concerned about the infants health.

That baby is alert, and appears in optimum shape, chubby cheeks, curly hair and all.   :-)

I will preface this post with the fact that our family is not now, have never been and has no plans to be vegetarians/vegans .....

However, my youngest daughter decided to make some "non-dairy" cookies today. They do not have any dairy or eggs in them. They came out tasting like lemon cookies :thumbsup:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

One of my  grand-daughters presented our family with a new member,  Tuesday the 27th. Vivienne Estelle weighed in at 7 lbs. 4ozs.. 
To tell the truth I was a bit apprehensive, as Cookie (mother) is a pescatarian, and was concerned about the infants health.
That baby is alert, and appears in optimum shape, chubby cheeks, curly hair and all.   :-)

Meat is not a necessity - even for pregnant mothers. In fact, people usually eat more of it than is really sustainable.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Vegan, I don't feel that I'm short on any nutrients.  I have a few health issues that have improved greatly.  I was Vegetarian for many years and it's only in the past 6 months that I have dropped dairy , occasionally I eat eggs or put them in a cake.

I think you can become deficient in any diet if you neglect yourself

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.