JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

THE WATCHTOWER (STUDY EDITION) JUNE 2016

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2811 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It seems that dress and grooming point of the "skinny suit" is baaaaaaack! Lol :touche:IMG_20160225_191037.thumb.jpg.193622d16b

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, timpin said:

wheres that list ?   ....  and how many since just 2010?  

Go to the DVD Watchtower Library and type in "Beliefs Clarified" and select the Publication Index.  It lists ALL adjustments to our beliefs since Pastor Russel (by date).  Since 2010 there are 35 listed.

However, these are doctrinal beliefs ONLY and to not include the organizational changes (no District Overseers, Appointing Servants in the Cong, Mid-Week Meeting and so on).

I would guess, from my list, that combining these together would show about 100 changes to date.

2010, illustration of wheat and weeds (sowing of seed) (Mt 13:24, 38): w10 3/15 20
illustration of wheat and weeds (wheat brought into storehouse) (Mt 13:30): w10 3/15 22
2011, entering Jehovah’s rest (Heb 4): w11 7/15 24-28
feet of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream image (Da 2): kr 177; w12 6/15 15-16, 19
Jesus “a corresponding ransom” (1Ti 2:6): w11 6/15 13; w11 8/15 32
olive tree (Ro 11): w11 5/15 23-25
Peter in Rome: w11 8/1 25
2012, “all these kingdoms” (Da 2:44): w12 6/15 17
Mordecai and Esther “divide spoil” in fulfillment of Genesis 49:27: ia 142; w12 1/1 29
ruin caused by “king fierce in countenance” (Da 8:23, 24): w12 6/15 16
toes of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream image (Da 2): w12 6/15 16
when seventh world power emerged: w12 6/15 15, 19
2013, anointed not to survive Armageddon on earth: w13 7/15 5
‘Assyrian invades our land’ (Mic 5:5): w13 11/15 20
chosen ones gathered (Mt 24:31; Mr 13:27): w13 7/15 5
“evil slave” (Mt 24:48-51): w13 7/15 24
“faithful and discreet slave” (Mt 24:45-47): w13 7/15 8, 20-25
great tribulation: w13 7/15 3-8
illustration of wheat and weeds (Mt 13): w13 7/15 13-14
Jesus comes, arrives (Mt 24, 25): w13 7/15 7-8, 24
Jesus inspects spiritual temple 1914-1919 (Mal 3:1-4): w13 7/15 11-12
meaning of name Jehovah: nwt 1735
2014, appointment of elders and ministerial servants: w14 11/15 28-29
basis first-century Jews had for being “in expectation” of Messiah (Lu 3:15): w14 2/15 26-27; w14 6/15 22
duration of cleansing of spiritual temple (Mal 3:1-4): w14 11/15 30
marriage in resurrection (Lu 20:34-36): w14 8/15 29-30
“solid foundation of God” (2Ti 2:19): w14 7/15 8-9, 13
two witnesses (Re 11): w14 11/15 30

7 hours ago, Roberto Flores said:

I found 29 to 2014

There are 6 more in 2015.

*** dx86-15 Beliefs Clarified ***

2015, Gog of Magog (Eze 38, 39): w15 5/15 29-30

head covering for sister conducting Bible study: w15 2/15 30

illustration of talents (Mt 25): w15 3/15 20-24

illustration of ten virgins (Mt 25): w15 3/15 13-16

paradise Paul saw in vision (2Co 12:1-4): w15 7/15 8-9

types and antitypes: w15 3/15 9-11, 17-18; w15 6/15 32

Adjusted understandings are always exciting to learn.  In view of the fact it is an 'adjusted' explanation, it only makes sense that the FDS would be very judicious in their wording, because this is now the latest, correct, understanding.

So, I thought the last sentence was kind of odd; "Everyone needs to hear the warning before the end comes".

'EVERYONE' ?  Really?   Will we ever get caught up with everyone ?

2 hours ago, Doug said:

So, I thought the last sentence was kind of odd; "Everyone needs to hear the warning before the end comes".

Everyone does "need" to hear the warning, but what they need is not necessarily what they will receive. Even Jesus said that we won't reach every individual before the end comes, (Mt 10:23) so we need to do our best at spreading the warning today, and let Jesus take care of the relative few who never had the opportunity.

On 26/2/2016 at 4:05 PM, KingDavid said:

Adjusted understanding: Whom do the man with the secretary’s inkhorn and the six men with smashing weapons described in Ezekiel’s vision symbolize?

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-june-2016/man-with-inkhorn/

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

We must be analyize this topic, it is very interesting.

Generally our publications relate dates with B.C.E. (Before the Common Era), in Portuguese corresponding to A.E.C. and C.E. (Common Era), in Portuguese as E.C.

But for the first time since I know the Organization in Article Questions From Readers of this edition (in Portuguese) two dates were portrayed as 607 before Christ and 612 before Christ (and not 607 B.C.E. and 612 B.C.E.)

This does not come into disagreement with the following article?

From Our Readers

Ancient Manuscripts—How Are They Dated? (February 2008) This article upset me. It is my understanding that C.E. stands for “Common Era” and B.C.E. stands for “Before the Common Era.” In all of my 70 years, I have seen the terms B.C. and A.D. used as a time reference, referring to before and after the birth of Jesus. It seems to me that using B.C.E. or C.E. somehow denies the birth of Jesus.

R. W., United States

“Awake!” responds: Although A.D. (Anno Domini, meaning “in the year of our Lord”) and B.C. (before Christ) are used in lands where professed Christianity predominates, we have chosen to use the terms C.E. (Common Era) and B.C.E. (Before the Common Era). Why? First, there is considerable evidence pointing to the year 2 B.C.E. as the date of Jesus’ birth. Second, the literature printed by Jehovah’s Witnesses is widely distributed in languages read by many non-Christians. Third, the title “Christ” means “Anointed One.” Jesus became the Messiah, or Christ, when he was anointed with God’s spirit at the time he was baptized in 29 C.E. (Matthew 3:13-17) Thus, Jesus was not born Christ; he became Christ the year of his baptism. Significantly, the descriptions C.E. and B.C.E. are growing in usage, and they appear in almost all modern dictionaries and in many scholarly works. Please be assured that Jehovah’s Witnesses consider Jesus and his sacrifice indispensable to the outworking of God’s purposes and our personal salvation.

g 3/09 p. 30

Br. Cristino,  you said:

"Generally our publications relate dates with B.C.E. (Before the Common Era), in Portuguese corresponding to A.E.C. and C.E. (Common Era), in Portuguese as E.C.

But for the first time since I know the Organization in Article Questions From Readers of this edition (in Portuguese) two dates were portrayed as 607 before Christ and 612 before Christ (and not 607 B.C.E. and 612 B.C.E.)"

I cannot address this matter because I do not have the Brazilian Portuguese copy at hand.

The 'English' copy shows B.C.E in both references (607 and 612).

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Cristino,  you said:

"Generally our publications relate dates with B.C.E. (Before the Common Era), in Portuguese corresponding to A.E.C. and C.E. (Common Era), in Portuguese as E.C.

But for the first time since I know the Organization in Article Questions From Readers of this edition (in Portuguese) two dates were portrayed as 607 before Christ and 612 before Christ (and not 607 B.C.E. and 612 B.C.E.)"

I cannot address this matter because I do not have the Brazilian Portuguese copy at hand.

The 'English' copy shows B.C.E in both references (607 and 612).

Perhaps the translators have a good reason for it. Anyway, I sent my question to Bethel. Thank you, brother John!

On February 26, 2016 at 7:14 PM, AH173 said:

It seems that dress and grooming point of the "skinny suit" is baaaaaaack! Lol :touche:IMG_20160225_191037.thumb.jpg.193622d16b

" If they come to you to offer kind, loving help, such as about your style of dress, will you accept their counsel as an expression of God’s love for you? In doing so, you prove to be like soft clay in Jehovah’s hands, ready to be molded to your benefit." 

In the third picture it seems that he took the counsel well and Hung Up his Skinny Suit!

Fashions come and go. I remember the flairs we used to wear. LOL In the NS we will see all sorts of styles from all the various cultures and those who lived in the past. I don't get too disturbed when I see someone wearing something a little different. As long as it's modest I am happy. 

So interesting to note that in the past, the issue of grooming (with the exception of facial hair) was usually directed to the sisters. But recently, we have seen a number of young brothers rocking up in kingdom halls in their skinnies. The council is fitting, as we do not want to emulate worldly standards of grooming.

10 hours ago, timpin said:

" If they come to you to offer kind, loving help, such as about your style of dress, will you accept their counsel as an expression of God’s love for you? In doing so, you prove to be like soft clay in Jehovah’s hands, ready to be molded to your benefit." 

In the third picture it seems that he took the counsel well and Hung Up his Skinny Suit!

I like also how the simplified version puts paragraph 13.:

13 Jehovah also uses the congregation and the elders to mold each one of us. For example, if the elders notice that we have a weakness, they try to help us. However, they do not give counsel based on their own ideas. (Galatians 6:1) Instead, they humbly pray to Jehovah for understanding and wisdom. Then, they do research using the Bible and our Christian publications in order to find information that will help us. If the elders come to you and give you kind and loving counsel, perhaps about how you are dressed, remember that this is proof of God’s love for you. When you apply the counsel, you will be like soft clay that Jehovah is able to mold, and you will benefit.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The brother on the left has the best suit. Nice and tailored. The middle one would be too baggy for me. Last one is obviously too tight for his lower body.

Jehovah tells “from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done.” (Isaiah 46:9, 10)